Talk

Advanced search

Whether you’re a beauty novice or a confirmed fashionista, this topic is for consulting Mumsnetters on all things style-related. Plus, check out our Swears By page for the inside track on the next Mumsnet must-have.

Can any Avene or La Posay Roche experts help my DD

(18 Posts)
ICantFindAFreeNickName Wed 21-Jan-15 21:23:08

My 12 year old DD, is getting quite spotty. Previously she has had the odd spot on her nose but now she has loads and loads of spots on her forehead.
After trawling the threads on this board, I came to the conclusion that Avene or La Posay Roche would be good brands to try rather than the usual stuff marketed at teenagers. After going into Boots 3 times before I managed to speak to their 'skincare consultant' to get some advice, she would not recommend either brand, she only seemed interested in pushing another brand (I cant remember what it was).
There seems to be so many products, so I thought I would turn to you experts for some advice. Please recommend a gentle simple skincare routine for DD

Naicecuppatea Wed 21-Jan-15 21:49:18

Avene Diacneal is excellent for controlling the spots. I am sure there are some other products in the Avene range which will be good for her, but I have not used anything else personally (perhaps check labels)? She should avoid any harsh cleansers which will aggravate her skin.

Saurus72 Wed 21-Jan-15 22:10:02

La Roche Posay Effaclar Duo has literally been life changing for me. I have spotty, hormonal skin and had tried so many skincare ranges which kind of worked for a while, but then the spots would return. I implore you to buy her the Effaclar Duo face wash and the moisturiser. I use these two products (and an eye cream, but your DD probably won't need that) morning and night, removing the face wash with a hot cloth - I don't bother with the Effaclar toner.

My skin has been completely transformed - I started this new skincare regime a couple of years ago, and within a few weeks my skin began to clear completely, and I am now the owner of clean, clear skin, after 10+ years of having spots. It's amazing stuff, not at all harsh. It is also very often on 3 for 2 at Boots, and you don't need very much - using the face wash twice a day, it lasts me at least two months.

It's awful being a spotty teenager, LRP should sort it all out with no fuss.

gaggiagirl Wed 21-Jan-15 22:15:22

Second effaclar by lrp!
Avene triacneal is great too but I found it too harsh for my sensitive skin.
The effaclar face wash rocks its so effective.
Your DD will need to moisturise too. I recommend lrp toleraine ultra...i think its called that. Its gentle effective and wont cause breakouts.

Saurus72 Wed 21-Jan-15 22:21:13

I can't help myself spreading the word about LRP, it is so so brilliant - it just goes about its business in a quiet, unassuming way and actually achieves what other brands say they do, but never actually manage.

In fact, it's been so life changing for me that now I'm scared about it being discontinued, so I always have at least a six month supply stashed away, bought when it's on 3 for 2. I really don't know what I'd do if it were discontinued confused.

MilkThistle187 Wed 21-Jan-15 22:53:09

I have been recommending LRP on S&B for 6 or 7 years now, I'm a bit of a broken record, but it is excellent stuff. It was recommended to me by a dermatologist. My teenage son uses Effaclar duo and the Effaclar face wash which keep his skin lovely and clear.

CoupdeFoudre Thu 22-Jan-15 06:55:12

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

VillaVillekulla Thu 22-Jan-15 13:11:41

Another vote for LRP Effaclar Duo. I wish I'd known about it when I was a teenager suffering with acne. And tea tree oil for any big spots.

I personally prefer to use a creamy or oil cleanser with a hot flannel/muslin rather than a foaming cleanser. I like the Body Shop chamomile oil cleanser or the balm.

Also talk to her about good habits like keeping hair clean and off her face, keeping hands clean, not touching/picking her face etc.

If she wants to use make up when she's older and she still suffers with spotty skin, I'd recommend mineral make up like Lily Lolo.

ICantFindAFreeNickName Thu 22-Jan-15 18:34:13

Thanks for the help - I knew I could rely on Mumsnet.

I will buy the Effaclar Duo face wash and the moisturiser and see how she gets on.

CaptainJamesTKirk Fri 23-Jan-15 07:45:01

Effaclar set of 3 products including face wash is currently on sale in our boots.

Greenstone Fri 23-Jan-15 09:41:11

I wish I'd had LRP when I was your daughter's age - it would have knocked the acne on the head I reckon. It's brilliant stuff.

squeezycheesy Fri 23-Jan-15 11:38:43

Is it this LRP?

www.boots.com/en/La-Roche-Posay-Effaclar-Duo--anti-blemish-cream_1440758/

There seem to be a lot of different products - the LRP ones I've tried in the past have been useless, but I haven't used the Duo stuff. I still get a bit spotty, not too bad (too old for it really), but my skin is quite 'porey' and just lacklustre. Wonder if it would do me any good . . .

Secretsout Fri 23-Jan-15 16:14:39

My teen has used LRP Effaclar foaming gel wash for over a year and recommended it to most of her friends. She has very good skin for a 14 year old (just an odd spot now and again) considering she's born of 2 parents who were very spotty!

lunalovegood84 Fri 23-Jan-15 16:21:44

I really wanted to like Effaclar Duo because its so highly recommended but it made me quite itchy.

I like the Avene gel cleanser.

CrazyLadyAtNumber31 Fri 23-Jan-15 19:36:21

Go to the Avene website and you can enter your skin care problems on a questionnaire and it will recommend which of their products to use and send you some samples. www.avene.co.uk/Skin-Diagnosis

Mandelinka Fri 23-Jan-15 20:26:25

Another vote for LRP E Duo, my skin never been clear, always the odd spot here and there.
About 5 months ago I've developed sever cystic acne along my jawline, horrendous clusters of huge painful spots - this happened overnight!
Now I blame dress, hormones and diary which I'm trying to eliminate now.
Anyway, I started E Duo in October and my skin is much better. It's taking time, but it is def improving.
My evening routine - I do double cleanse either with LEP toleriane, dove soap or Estée lauder cleanser.
Followed by LEP toner or bioderma
Every other night I swipe over my face with diluted Apple cider vinegar and let it dry.
Followed by effaclar duo.
Morning, wash with Elemis face wash, followed by effaclar duo or perhaps Vichy (green) moisturizers

I'd like to highlight 2 products which really made a difference - effaclar duo and AC vinegar (this I'm trying to drink diluted as well - whenever I can stomach it)

Fluffycloudland77 Fri 23-Jan-15 21:23:15

I'd choose lrp over anything anti bacterial like clearasil.

I use the physiological gel with a proper facecloth & duo+.

QueenInTheNorth Fri 23-Jan-15 22:04:31

I would go with LRP and this set www.boots.com/en/La-Roche-Posay-Effaclar-3-Step-Anti-Blemish-System_1518646/ it is brilliant, if she finds her skin gets at all dry though, I'd go with this moisturiser www.boots.com/en/Vichy-Aqualia-Thermal-Light-Pot-50ml_1457243/ as its lovely and light and really hydrating without being greasy.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: