Talk

Advanced search

Whether you’re a beauty novice or a confirmed fashionista, this topic is for consulting Mumsnetters on all things style-related. Plus, check out our Swears By page for the inside track on the next Mumsnet must-have.

mac lipsticks

(12 Posts)
howtoapproachthis Wed 21-Jan-15 11:13:51

im not really that impressed - i was expecting much more. i am looking for long lasting lipstick so all the reviews said mac were good. after speaking to the girl on the counter i went for a matte lipstick, and it is gorgeous on me, it feels lovely, but it is off after an hour pretty much no matter what i do. i am very disappointed. at this rate, i will have none left in a month or so! i actually find maybelline superstay the best so far. anyone have any other good recommendations, for long lasting matte lipsticks in a good variety of colours? maybelline are great but are quite limited in their variety.

rosiepinkcheeks Wed 21-Jan-15 19:38:59

Lipstick Queen has a good range of colours and different options - matte, sheer....

Botanicbaby Wed 21-Jan-15 20:32:05

I find mac lipsticks stay better if you use a light coating of lip pencil first. not around your lips but actually on your lips where you apply lipstick.

was it defiitely the matte one you had? i find the mac ones in the square ish black all over inside and outside tube not very long lasting but think they are classed as creme (or maybe shine) ones. the ones in the black tapered tube on the outside with silver inside are long lasting.

revlon matte is good.

howtoapproachthis Thu 22-Jan-15 12:58:49

ah...it looks like i have the wrong one. mine is the black one for sure. well im not about to get another expensive one for now, i might look at revlon, but i will get the silver one the next time when this is nearly done! thanks for the lip liner tip, and also i will check out lipstick queen, not heard of them before.

Botanicbaby Thu 22-Jan-15 21:02:54

oh poor you OP I bought one of the nude creme ones in the all over black tube and it lasted 5 mins! it was more like a gloss (albeit a gorgeous colour!)than a lipstick.

I think their true matte colours really do last a long time though. lipstick queen have lovely matte shades but I find the packaging a bit rubbish for what you pay (top never stays on). minor grump but its a pain if you carry the lipstick around with you.

howtoapproachthis Fri 23-Jan-15 07:39:21

i feel a bit annoyed because i specifically asked the rep for matte and long lasting... and she directed me, and let me try it on! shame u cant bring them back lol

Lollyandmootoo Fri 23-Jan-15 07:43:55

Was it an actual Mac store or a counter in at department store? Not sure if it applies more in the standalone stores but have heard loads of times that Mac are excellent for dealing with returns where the product hasn't lived up to what you were expecting and will actually exchange a used product for something else, might be worth going in and explaining it didn't do what you specifically asked for and see what they say.

HellKitty Fri 23-Jan-15 07:46:53

I find the same with Mac. The gloss shades are lovely but need reapplying and the mattes are too drying for me. I actually bought a Rimmel chubby stick lippy in a nude shade which is great and seems to stain my lips. Not sure it's meant too but it means it lasts!

wigfieldrocks Fri 23-Jan-15 08:02:28

This is probably not helpful but don't go for a Chanel lipstick either - I treated myself just before Christmas, paid £22 for a lipstick which is a lovely colour but has worn off after half an hour!! Cheaper high street brands do much better value. I'm sticking to revlon and Rimmel in future.

download Fri 23-Jan-15 08:03:27

i have some lipstick queens and they last 10 minutes too, don't bother with them ! to be honest i've never found a lippie that lasts ages and ages unless they stain and they always stain the outside leaving a weird red outline. easier to keep reapplying.

i get on with mac lippies but prefer the creme or amplified shades

howtoapproachthis Fri 23-Jan-15 11:09:36

lol seems there is a gap in the market. it was at a debehnams mac counter. i think the only thing the lipstick would be good for is a photoshoot.

Lollyandmootoo Fri 23-Jan-15 12:37:23

Would definitely take it back, if you still have the receipt.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: