Advanced search

Loose waves in shoulder length hair

(16 Posts)
Applebear Tue 20-Jan-15 13:14:20

Has anyone had any success with a curling wand, for loose waves in shoulder length bobbed hair? I'm going for the kind of look that Caroline Flack has at the moment, I've tried straighteners which creates the right wave, but it just makes my hair go frizzy and very dry looking. The only way I can get my hair to go smooth and healthy looking is to blow dry it straight which does make it shiny and nice, but then I just have a boring straight bob. I want interesting waves!

GothicRainbow Tue 20-Jan-15 13:16:07

Is your hair naturally wavy/curly?

McFox Tue 20-Jan-15 13:16:25

I dry mine straight-ish then put it up in a scrunchie on top if my head overnight (it is very glam, how lucky DH is!). By the morning it's full of volume and loose waves. Much easier than a wand.

Applebear Tue 20-Jan-15 13:21:17

It's fairly straight GothicRainbow - if I dry it with a diffuser and product it does have a slight wave, but just messy looking, not what I want to achieve really.
I might try that McFox, thanks, although I don't think my hair is quite long enough really

McFox Tue 20-Jan-15 13:28:03

My hair is shoulder length too, maybe just very slightly longer, so it's worth a try smile

Applebear Tue 20-Jan-15 13:30:08

What kind of waves does it give McFox? I'm sure your hair looks lovely but I'm only imagining mine would look a proper mess if I slept with it in a scrunchie!

McFox Tue 20-Jan-15 13:34:48

It gives quite pronounced waves. When I take it down in the morning I just run my fingers through it, add a little coconut oil to smooth it, and it looks good. The waves tend to soften over the next hour and it looks natural.

mowglik Tue 20-Jan-15 14:17:40

Put it up in a sock bun ovdrnight and brush out the next day for loose waves/curls

LackingCommonSense Tue 20-Jan-15 16:22:03

I posted this very question a month or so ago!

I have thick, straight shoulder length hair. I tried the sock bun method and twisting etc overnight but never got the effect I wanted.

I've now mostly got it sussed..I just need to master the back. It's a bit of a faff though tbh and not for everyday wear!

I use a shit load of mousse, dry it until damp, use Babyliss thermo ceramic heated rollers until dry and then use the wand where needed. I then scruff it up a bit using my fingers and lots of hairspray!

I've had some success with using some foam curling donuts I got from the pound shop - with those, I use lots of mousse, leave them overnight and then use the wand in the morning.

Hope this helps!

AtlanticDrift Tue 20-Jan-15 18:04:58

youtube clip

flux500 Tue 20-Jan-15 18:16:20

I use babyliss curling wand and don't curl the roots or the ends. works great even if at fire it is a bit too ringletty this softens within an hour.

cheap too smile

cookoos Tue 20-Jan-15 18:31:16

i use andrew barton soft curls - 34mm barrell wand. loose kink free waves/curls. i have fine mid length hair. got mine from argos.... £27 i think. burnt myself a few times though.... but thats because im sometimes too lazy to put the little glove on! grin used it nearly every day since having my hair cut to shoulder length 6weeks ago.

Applebear Tue 20-Jan-15 18:44:45

Thanks for the ideas everyone, some things to try there

BadPoet Tue 20-Jan-15 19:03:16

Google 'headband curls' or 'heatless headband curls'. I could never master a sock bun but this works well on shoulder length hair (my hair is longer now but I did this when it was shoulder length)

carlywurly Tue 20-Jan-15 19:54:33

Watching with interest, I could have written the op. I want a magic gadget smile

Mouldypineapple Tue 20-Jan-15 19:56:15

Go to sleep with it in plaits. Works for my dd! But she is 5 so may or may not be the look you wanted!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now