Talk

Advanced search

Whether you’re a beauty novice or a confirmed fashionista, this topic is for consulting Mumsnetters on all things style-related. Plus, check out our Swears By page for the inside track on the next Mumsnet must-have.

Fine, frizzy hair - what do you do to make it manageable?

(7 Posts)
maitaimojito Mon 19-Jan-15 17:26:46

I have fine, naturally wavy hair (but lots of it). I used to have layers which I've grown out in the hope that my hair would become more manageable. It's currently a couple of inches past my shoulders.

I use a repair shampoo and conditioner bought from a salon, and a heat protection spray. Anything else seems to make my hair look greasy and weigh it down I dread to think how much the drawer of half used hair products has cost me

I do wash it every day which I've tried to reduce, but going out in the rain/wind/to the gym etc means that it usually needs doing daily. Dry shampoo only seems to last a few hours for me before my hair is looking limp.

I would really like to style without straighteners which I currently use every morning. If I leave it to air dry which takes several hours, it just looks awful- frizzy with bits sticking out everywhere. Occasionally I can manage to blow dry it to an acceptable standard but if I sleep on it I have to straighten it the next morning to salvage it as the underneath goes very curly overnight and the rest sticks out.

My hairdresser agrees that it is difficult, although manages to get it looking sleek and smooth just by blow drying so it is possible!

I would love to be able to plait my hair before I go to bed and wake up with lovely, loose waves. Instead I resemble a scarecrow!

Other people must also suffer with this type of hair - please share your styling secrets!

FlossieTreadlight Mon 19-Jan-15 17:32:32

Kerastase elixir ultime - spendy but a bottle lasts 6 months. Only thing that has managed dyeing damage, stopped my fine hair frizzing but not weighed it down. I like the original gold one the best

dancemom Mon 19-Jan-15 17:32:32

Can you French Plait? Dd has fine wavy/curly hair and lots of it and it needs straightening if she wants to wear it loose. However if I French plait it when its damp at night then it lies in beautiful waves the next day.

maitaimojito Mon 19-Jan-15 17:37:23

Thanks Flossie, I'll look that up.

And yes, dancemom I think I might be able to remember how to do a French plait from my gymnastics days as a child. I'll give it a go. I'm sure there are plenty of YouTube tutorials if not.

MaybeDoctor Mon 19-Jan-15 18:30:46

I think a Babyliss big hair might work well for you. I have similar hair, although generally I wear it curly so I think it might have more of a curl than hours. But fine, although thankfully quite full.

I have just started using the BBH in order to get away from wetting it every day (have started wearing a shower cap smile ). There is a knack to it but I have used it three or four times and have already mastered a 'smooth with slight flicks' style in about 5 minutes.

Fabulassie Mon 19-Jan-15 18:59:01

I use Frizz Eaze three-day straight spray. It means I can hold my style for a couple of days and it's pretty good about humidity and days when it's drizzly.

CoupdeFoudre Mon 19-Jan-15 19:18:34

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: