Advanced search

Hairdryer for curly hair

(13 Posts)
cakedup Sun 18-Jan-15 23:31:20

I have wavy - curly hair and wash my hair every morning after exercising. I then leave my hair to dry naturally.

Sometimes though, especially if I am going straight out in the freezing cold, or I have work/a meeting/appointment with the school, I feel a bit silly turning up with wet hair (it takes AGES to dry).

My hair is quite frizzy and coarse. Obviously if I just buy any old hairdryer and blast it with that, I will end up looking like a very bad 1970s Kate Bush.

So how should I blow dry my hair and using what?

I'm thinking that I could get a fairly standard hairdryer but spend a bit more on a decent diffuser?

Icecreamqueen88 Mon 19-Jan-15 08:12:56

I use ^^ this one. Got it recently and really happy with it. I have thivk coarse dryish curly hair too.

VeganCow Mon 19-Jan-15 09:54:05

I promise you wont get better than this one, it is for curly hair but we all use it, and have straight hair so dont use the diffuser, only £13 too!

bringmejoy2015 Mon 19-Jan-15 10:30:10

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

ZaraW Mon 19-Jan-15 13:52:51

I agree it's the diffuser and your method of using that really counts. I have a Parlux which I like as I can control the air flow of the dryer to low or medium.

cakedup Mon 19-Jan-15 17:27:31

Some great recommendations there, thank you! Both hairdryers look good.

I don't have a blowdryer so would need to get one anyway.

Does anyone else feel as if their hair doesn't feel as nice after using a hair dryer?

I have curly hair and gave up with them years ago. I now plop and let it dry naturally and it's so much better BUT because of this I tend to shower during the day rather than mornings which stuffs my plans and routine up. Half the time I end up showering too close to school run time and put my wet hair in a ponytail and end up making it look awful as it needs to be right to stop wet bumpy head look,do it looks weird and bleugh- all flat with waves on top instead of my bouncy curls, then clumped up ringlets in the pony.

I really need to be able to shower and dry it in the mornings without having to get up at stupid o' clock so it has time to dry.

Any tips for drying with a hair dryer that won't leave it fluffy or feeling a bit dry? Don't want to have to put other products in (just use a dab of frizz ease mixed with a dab of argan oil cream now) as my hair is much better without all the stuff I used to weigh it down with!

bringmejoy2015 Mon 19-Jan-15 18:01:02

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

cakedup Mon 19-Jan-15 18:03:44

I was anticipating this problem TripTrap. I always shower in the morning because I exercise first thing.

I tried the 'curly girl method' but it didn't work for me.

Ah, cake, I plan to but then don't because my hair will be shopping wet and plan to do it later,but then I have stuff to it's a pain!

I don't get on with the curly girl method really,just do the plopping for 20 minutes which does help my hair stay bouncy and frizzy free.Only to be ruined by being put in a tight pony a few minutes later blush

Maybe I'll give the £13 dryer a go and try it on a cooler setting after the plopping and see how it goes.That said,if it's wet or windy out it still need to be put up anyway.Grr

ZaraW Mon 19-Jan-15 18:45:44

I use the Deva Curl strong hold gel and it survives wet and windy weather without having to put it up. It gives the curl a really strong hold. I use the lighter one in summer.

Fallulah Mon 19-Jan-15 18:55:54

Triptrap, frizzease dries out your hair. Try a leave in conditioner from the boots Naturals/naked range instead?

I don't think you need to wash curly hair every day. That won't be helping either .

It doesn't seem to dry mine but I only use a tiny bit mixed with the argan oil cream.

Leave in conditioner always seemed to make it more fluffy in a shapeless way,but may try again.

Washing every day doesn't hurt it tbh.It needs doing anyway,although I can get away with it at the weekends or the odd day

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now