Talk

Advanced search

Help me find a ball dress please

(14 Posts)
Citybaby Sun 18-Jan-15 21:07:33

Hello, I need a dress for a ball in London. I'm early 30's, 5 4", size 10-12, just getting my body back from looking like a lumpy nik nak after 2 babies and don't know where to start. I don't have a huge budget, £300ish. In my dreams I'd like to look like Grace Kelly but I only seem to be finding skin tight Lycra dresses which my thighs would never forgive!
Any one know any good online stores to look at?
Many thanks in advance wise mnetters!

Citybaby Mon 19-Jan-15 07:10:23

Bump!

nottheOP Mon 19-Jan-15 07:23:19

Have you checked out asos.com?

LollyLondon Mon 19-Jan-15 09:08:20

Oh fab, lucky you. I don't know about you, but ball opportunities are virtually non-existent in my world, so you should go for it and aim for Grace Kelly.

I'm not usually a fan of Phase Eight, but caught a glimpse of some of their "fancy" dresses in House of Fraser before Christmas and they were stunning.

www.phase-eight.com/fcp/categorylist/inspire/blacktieevents?resetFilters=true

The full length ones were beautiful and looked like something out of Strictly. Around your budget too.

Have fun!

GailTheFish Mon 19-Jan-15 09:11:10

Have you looked at The Outnet? They have some beautiful designer gowns.

Citybaby Mon 19-Jan-15 20:35:51

Thank you! Ball opportunities or even pretty dress opportunities are very rare for me too Lolly, so I'm determined to make the most of this one. grin

The phase eight dresses do look gorgeous, love the sparkles.
I have looked at asos Nottheop, there is a brand called Virgos Lounge that looked stunning, anyone know if the quality is any good?
Just looked on The Outnet Gail, beautiful dresses thank you!

I just can't vision myself in a glamorous long dress after being in my standard uniform of jeans with cheerios stuck to them for so long, I'm so excited!

Woahbodyforrrrm Mon 19-Jan-15 21:58:31

I ordered a viragos lounge full length dress from asos and was very impressed with the quality. It was well lined and flattering. I returned it as it was more then I wanted to spend as I'm dieting and don't want to fit this size for long! I would be happy to order another of their dresses next time.

Citybaby Mon 19-Jan-15 22:18:29

Thank you Woah, that is great to know. I was wondering whether they were be lined as the material looks a little shiny which would cling I think. The colours just look gorgeous, I'm trying not to wear black this year as I've realised it just drains my already pale completion so they would be perfect!

Any one seen anything out there with a bit of a voluminous skirt? Not a big fat gypsy wedding obviously but a bit of volume, like this m.coast-stores.com/pws/ProductDetails.ice?ProductID=2213173841

Pregnantagain7 Mon 19-Jan-15 22:18:44

I have a ball at the end of the month and I'm a size (or 2!) bigger than I normally am as I've just had a baby. I ordered some dresses from asos last night they had so many to chose from.

nottheOP Tue 20-Jan-15 10:21:41

dress-studio.co.uk/dresses/ballgowns/city-goddess-d2172-navy

nottheOP Tue 20-Jan-15 10:25:25

www.rokii.co.uk/en/womens/1961-jovani-usa-20417-sheer-dress-in-blush.html

TreadSoftlyOnMyDreams Tue 20-Jan-15 13:16:29

Matches Fashion might be worth a trawl as they have a fab returns service so it's easy to shop with them. There are a few bits under and slightly above your budget

www.matchesfashion.com/product/213621 This could be shortened without too much trouble I think. Not v exciting but the right accessories would liven it up.

www.matchesfashion.com/product/215884 They have this in a navy too.
www.matchesfashion.com/product/213617
Looks like a lace overlay which might be trickier to alter if it is way too long but difficult to see how you could go wrong with this in either colour imo.

www.matchesfashion.com/product/187629
Jersey so it would be spanx all the way but v pretty dress

www.matchesfashion.com/product/1000483
Fab full skirt but totally blows the budget and you would still need a top.

www.matchesfashion.com/product/199210
Just over budget. You'd need elegantly skinny arms to pull this off though I think.
www.matchesfashion.com/product/215839
Under budget but skinny arms again

Citybaby Tue 20-Jan-15 13:48:17

Wow! Thank you Not and Tread. Lots to look at, loving the red colour and the fact I could afford Matches, I just assumed it would be above my budget. Sadly I don't suit strapless (got my grandmothers broad shoulders!) But love the new websites to look at. Cheers!

BobsTaintedLeftLeg Tue 20-Jan-15 15:00:40

awful site name but a few options here maybe?

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: