Talk

Advanced search

Whether you’re a beauty novice or a confirmed fashionista, this topic is for consulting Mumsnetters on all things style-related. Plus, check out our Swears By page for the inside track on the next Mumsnet must-have.

Crepes, Galettes, Pancakes and Brian the Bucket!

(1000 Posts)
MrsSchadenfreude Sun 18-Jan-15 14:20:54

Here you go...

wordassociationfootball Sun 18-Jan-15 14:29:07

Belly flopping into brand new empty thread. I just posted on the old one. Hope not too disapointingly for anyone popping back there.

lalsy Sun 18-Jan-15 14:34:37

MI, I am glad.

Thanks for recipe BTM.

Herbs, I get that sometimes with work. You will probably have tried this but I find starting in the middle often helps.

Very peaceful weekend here with some nice chats with ds and sorting of annoying things like random charging cables and small mystery gadgets...most soothing and pleasing.

herbaceous Sun 18-Jan-15 14:50:12

Lalsy - I have indeed started in the middle! I may yet triumph.

Glad to hear parental lips remain stiff, MI. Fingers crossed for tomorrow.

In a moment I shall leave my desk to go and watch Star Wars for the 20th time with DS.

BTW, he has to have a moulding taken of his bad eye in March. This time it will be in the chair, rather than under general anaesthetic. It will be most unpleasant, so I'm already thinking about bribery. At the moment, a light sabre would be the best thing in the whole world. I wonder if any of the toy ones are remotely convincing?

lalsy Sun 18-Jan-15 15:00:15

Quote from my ds, aged about 7: "I'd like a light sabre for Christmas, Mummy. Could I have one of the ones from Woolworths, not one of the ones made out of toilet rolls?" grin. It was most realistic and that was years ago.

herbaceous Sun 18-Jan-15 15:01:35

DS is a trifle more demanding. 'I'd like a light sabre, mummy, but a real one, not a toy one like [cousin x].' Brat.

motherinferior Sun 18-Jan-15 15:07:55

Checking in...

cremolafoam Sun 18-Jan-15 15:12:39

Nice thread title, but makes my tummy rumble.grin

Well the dust has settled.
Dfil ( dh's dad)has been put on a new regime and they are working out a care package for him, but will remain in hospital until that has been arranged.phew.

Dsis went to see our dparents this morning. It turns out that the car he clipped wasn't even damaged. He was chased by a bystander to his house and then subsequently this person called the police. ( poor dad didn't stop as his catheter bag was full and he was trying to get home to empty it)
The car owner then tried to blame dad for a selection of car defects that dad couldn't have done by simply driving past too close. Scumbags case was thrown out by the judge. The local rag made it look much more serious and has embarrassed dad. So I am now worried about him for a different reason .
Mother showed dsis the paper and turned the page to show her that dad's car was advertised for sale in the classifieds on the same day.
So they had already made a decision to end his driving days before the accident. < rolls eyes >

Happy Sunday crepies . Today I'll mostly be ironing . Yawn.

NUFC69 Sun 18-Jan-15 15:12:45

Glad to hear that yesterday went well, MI, and my thoughts will be with you and your family tomorrow.

Herbs, a light sabre sounds excellent for DS, and there is realistic and realistic. .. not sure if one made from loo rolls qualifies.

We're having a very lazy day - DS eventually turned up with the whole family (I was sure he was leaving his DW to have a lie in). The Rachel Allen pancakes went down well and then they stayed until nearly lunch time, by which time DH and I were hungry again. Done SFA since then, although there is a large pile of ironing (again). I might tell DH I will do it if he cleans the oven.

Blackduck Sun 18-Jan-15 15:51:59

Just checking in...down with the folks where I mostly want to kill my DBro...

bigTillyMint Sun 18-Jan-15 16:29:48

Cremo, glad your DDad hadn't done any damage and had already decided to sell the motor, but sad that he had such a horrid experience. Good that your DFILs meds are sorted.

Done a bit of baking/cooking and been round to a friends. Worried about DD who is in her room saying she can't concentrateconfused Am currently keeping out of her way incase I make things worse.

Great thread title, MrsS!

MontserratCaballe Sun 18-Jan-15 16:38:14

Thank you for the thread, Mrs s!

Herbs I got DS a lovely light sabre from Amazon with sound effects and lights. He loves it.

Strength for tomorrow, MI.

Been out buying bits of household stuff and lots of lovely (if acrylic) wool for the girls to knit with. Rustling up a shep pie and lasagne from generic mince underneath then out for supper en famille. Lovely.

beachyhead Sun 18-Jan-15 16:51:15

Checking in here too.... just seen Paddington (aaah) and dd1 and Tinder Boy (TB) took both dogs for a walk. Honestly, that boy can do no wrong in my eyes and I haven't even met him!

CointreauVersial Sun 18-Jan-15 17:16:57

Mmmm... I fancy a pancake.

My poor old GF; he was an amazing man in his time; survived the trenches, left the Lancashire cotton mills to make his fortune down south, but it did get quite sad at the end, and it was only by laughing about his carjacking exploits and other dementia-related eccentricities that we got through it. He did fight his old age rather, as opposed to my maternal GF, who handed in his car keys at 80 and cheerfully caught the bus everywhere (he would tip the driver with an apple or a handful of toffees if he thought the man had driven safely grin).

Only just discovered limoncello, MI?? We used to get through bottles of it during our Italian holidays (tip - keep the bottle in the freezer). I even made a bottle last year.

MrsSchadenfreude Sun 18-Jan-15 17:21:13

Is it really wrong of me to love my Sunday evenings? DH takes both the DDs back to school, and it is the only time I have the place to myself. I can listen to music, faff about on the internet do some writing and drink gin, or tea, as the mood takes me.

I don't like opera (Brel and Gainsbourg more my style ponce alert plus some hideous German 80s pop) and I can't knit, sew or do anything useful with my hands - am I still allowed in here? grin

NUFC69 Sun 18-Jan-15 17:55:00

But you cook and bake, MrsS. I reckon that I only have one creative urge at a time; ie I do one of the following: cook, bake, sew, knit or embroider. And when I am doing whatever it is, I am not really interested in the others. I have also dabbled in painting and writing, but it's as if I can only do one creative thing to the exclusion of anything else. Enjoy your quiet time.

Crem, should have said, your DFil's story is very sad, but I am so glad he has given up driving.

When I have time I will let Lalsy, have the blueberry/raspberry pancake recipe. Delicious served with maple syrup. Did the family like the banana and walnut loaf, BTM?

cremolafoam Sun 18-Jan-15 18:26:09

It's my dad and the driving NUsmile
It's my FIL who is in the hospital.
Double whammy.

My dad keeps going over and over what happened and is very tearysadsad

hattymattie Sun 18-Jan-15 18:44:46

God Crem- I don't know how you cope. Poor old Dad - he doesn't need the hassle at his age. I must say CV's carjacking dad made me laugh though.

I am trying to book for the family to go for a long weekend in Cambridge to see DD1 - I think it's the most expensive place on the planet - we are going to have to stay in some random village well outside the town.

I only found this thread by accident - so am going back to read the end of the old one.

cremolafoam Sun 18-Jan-15 18:49:37

Hatty have you looked at Air b&b - surely there must be a large apartment available for everyone.??

cremolafoam Sun 18-Jan-15 18:53:15

don't know your dates but look

hattymattie Sun 18-Jan-15 18:54:48

AirB&B seems to only be rooms in people's houses - I've spotted one or two nice ones for when I manage to shake off the family wink

bigTillyMint Sun 18-Jan-15 18:59:30

<snurks at some random village!>

That one Cremo linked to is an apartmentconfused

DD is at last struggling to concentrate on some work, but is stressing. DS has shouted at DH (tired after footy and doesn't want to do homework) Oh joyhmm

NUFC69 Sun 18-Jan-15 19:02:29

Sorry, Crem, poor old soul.

Hatty, I think BTM, has used Airbnb - I am sure she mentioned it when they were in South America last year. There is actually an article about them in today's "Sunday Times* magazine if you have access to it.

hattymattie Sun 18-Jan-15 19:07:28

I take it back Crem - just found a super looking place - at Girton! So much for leaving DH to do the looking.

motherinferior Sun 18-Jan-15 19:22:52

I'm reading a thread about dressing in heels and having 'date nights' after you've had children. I'm not sure my Woolovers jumper was the best thing to be wearing while I read it. I do need a haircut...

Mum braced for surgery tomorrow.

This thread is not accepting new messages.