Talk

Advanced search

Whether you’re a beauty novice or a confirmed fashionista, this topic is for consulting Mumsnetters on all things style-related. Plus, check out our Swears By page for the inside track on the next Mumsnet must-have.

help bras always gaping at the top?!

(28 Posts)
rosyrose79 Sat 17-Jan-15 19:27:47

I have a lot of cleo bras minnie, bella, marcie, lily...but while they fit well on the bottom of the cups the top of the bra always gapes..I have tried going a cup size down but that makes the bra too small at the bottom. Any advice???

StatisticallyChallenged Sat 17-Jan-15 19:29:47

It sounds like you might have quite bottom heavy boobs? If so, you probably need something where the top of the cup is more open - like the Juna, bravissimo half cups, Freya Patsy etc.

Gintonic Sat 17-Jan-15 19:32:58

Try balconette style bras which don't come up so high?

rosyrose79 Sat 17-Jan-15 20:09:22

Thanks Gintonic, that sounds like a good idea. Are there any you can recommend?

StatisticallyChallenged Sat 17-Jan-15 20:10:35

The ones I mentioned are balconette/half cups

rosyrose79 Sat 17-Jan-15 20:10:41

Thanks StatisticallyChallenged. I will have a look on bravissimo for the half cup styles.

rosyrose79 Sat 17-Jan-15 20:13:13

Would panache jasmine work as well?

StatisticallyChallenged Sat 17-Jan-15 20:14:54

The lace at the top of the jasmine is stretchier than the Lily and co so it might work, but it might still gape. Basically if you are very bottom heavy then the styles which work best are those which don't really have a top to the cup.

rosyrose79 Sat 17-Jan-15 20:47:24

that makes sense, I will leave the jasmine and try the ones you suggested, thanks for the help flowers

rosyrose79 Sat 17-Jan-15 21:31:09

Is it the Freya Padded Half Cup Patsy I should be looking at? They have another unpadded one too. Any specific ones from bravissimo too?

StatisticallyChallenged Sat 17-Jan-15 22:56:12

Bravissimo branded half cups might work - like the mademoiselle. I think it runs a bit small in the cup.

The Patsy half cup is the one I was thinking of.

You'll sometimes see the shape called half cup and other times balconette but it's the relatively low, wide shape at the top you are looking for. The Curvy Kate tease me and Ritzy are similar, as are a few Masquerades like the Rhea, Angie etc.

rosyrose79 Sat 17-Jan-15 23:18:39

Thanks StatisticallyChallenged that's really helpful!! Don't know what we would do wihout you bra experts smile

bringmejoy2015 Sun 18-Jan-15 13:53:43

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

rosyrose79 Sun 18-Jan-15 14:18:05

bringmejoy2015 the band fits perfectly and I have adjusted the straps too but the lace/fabric at the top always pulls away from my body. I have ordered a few of the half cups from Bravissimo and the masquerade rhea and also the freya patsy half cup which have been recommended on here..really hoping one of these will give me a better fit smile

bringmejoy2015 Sun 18-Jan-15 14:31:57

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

rosyrose79 Sun 18-Jan-15 16:02:05

Thanks smile

rosyrose79 Mon 19-Jan-15 13:57:42

the Masquerade Rhea arrives today and while it fit better in the cup, the straps were way too wide for me. Hoping that I have better luck with freya and bravissimo versions.

StatisticallyChallenged Mon 19-Jan-15 17:08:03

That's always a bit of a trade off, as half cup/proper balconettes often have slightly wider set straps but some are better than others. I've moved them in on previous bras but it tends to shift the shape of the cups, making them more plunging so not ideal.

bonzo77 Mon 19-Jan-15 17:14:18

Balconette has more coverage than a half cup. You might still get gaping with a balconette. OP I have a similar problem and really recommend the bravissimo own brand half cups and their Alana balconette.

StatisticallyChallenged Mon 19-Jan-15 18:30:17

The problem is there is no universally agreed description of a balconette - it straddles everything from shapes which are very close to a half cup, to bras which are really quite full coverage and probably more of a balcony really.

sergeantmajor Mon 19-Jan-15 19:18:24

Maidenform Comfort Devotion is good

rosyrose79 Tue 20-Jan-15 16:14:10

I don't think half cups will work for me. My bravissimo order arrived today and the half cups give me a squashed shape from the front but fit well elsewhere...maybe not deep enough? I think I may need to look for balconettes with stretchy lace at the top.

rosyrose79 Tue 20-Jan-15 17:22:13

If I measure 30 underbust which band in the freya balcony would fit 28 or 30?

StatisticallyChallenged Tue 20-Jan-15 20:45:30

Normally I'd start with a 30, but Freya can run a bit looser. However, I think the Patsy is going to be too shallow for you.

It sounds like you need more depth than these styles offer, I'm trying to think of deeper half cups. Ewa Michalak are relatively deep - their CH/CHP style might work. It could be worth trying the Panache Jasmine.

It's not the half cup itself that's the problem, it's that a lot of half cups seem have been designed with wider, shallower boobs in mind IYSWIM?

rosyrose79 Tue 20-Jan-15 22:32:46

Thanks StatisticallyChallenged that makes sense, the half cups look amazing on the models so I wasn't sure why they didn't work for me. I have ordered the jasmine, hopefully it has the depth I need smile

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: