Talk

Advanced search

Whether you’re a beauty novice or a confirmed fashionista, this topic is for consulting Mumsnetters on all things style-related. Plus, check out our Swears By page for the inside track on the next Mumsnet must-have.

cashmere...

(10 Posts)
Greengardenpixie Sat 17-Jan-15 11:48:23

caring for it? Can i put it in the machine on a wool/handwash cycle or is that a definite no?

dexter73 Sat 17-Jan-15 11:50:25

I wash my cashmere on the cold wool cycle. Comes out fine every time. Life is too short for handwashing!

sleepwhenidie Sat 17-Jan-15 11:54:47

Yep, wool wash, cold is ok and I've done 30 deg wool wash too and been fine so far. Do not try with baby alpaca however, that was a sad sad day.

Greengardenpixie Sat 17-Jan-15 12:12:56

Thats great. I never actually handwash items. Always machine and on a wool or handwash. The coldest cycle mine has is 30. That is the wool and handwash cycle so will put it in thats. Thanks! smile

70isaLimitNotaTarget Sat 17-Jan-15 12:22:34

I have some washable Pure New Wool, the label recommends Woolite or similar, no detergent with brighteners.
I put them in a net bag to stop them tangling (my machine is a 8kg so I save up a wool wash)
Put in the 30 wash cycle
Dry flat

70isaLimitNotaTarget Sat 17-Jan-15 12:23:12

Missed point of thread- cashmere goes in with wool sweaters

sleepwhenidie Sat 17-Jan-15 12:42:54

Good additional advice though 70, I use woolite for cashmere and if I remember/cba a mesh bag too.

Saurus72 Sat 17-Jan-15 13:12:33

I use my normal washing detergent (M&S) and wash it on a 30 degree delicates cycle - always absolutely fine. I never hand wash and very very very rarely dry clean - I just don't think it gets things properly clean.

Lardylassnomore Sat 17-Jan-15 16:54:05

I am sure m and s do a cashmere washing liquid for something like £3

missmartha Sat 17-Jan-15 17:23:32

I once tried to felt a cashmere sweater for a craft project (don't ask).

I boiled the wretched thing, I beat it with a rolling pin, I poured washing up liquid on it and pummelled it, I abused it utterly.

It refused to be anything other than soft as a baby's bottom and didn't shrink at all. I reckon they're bomb proof.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: