Talk

Advanced search

Short, sleevey wedding dress ideas?

(37 Posts)
SamaSama Sat 17-Jan-15 05:54:49

Hello! This is my first ever thread although I am a long term and very hard-core lurker. I would very much appreciate some help with my hunt for the perfect wedding dress as I am a bit stuck and options seem very limited.

I have quite specific requirements but I'm also very open to the non-traditional. It does not have to be a "wedding dress". I want short, empire line, preferably lace and shoulders covered- definitely not strapless. Budget is £1000. Any ideas?

Thank you! (I'm very excited to have started my first thread, it feels like a very big and important step into the world of Mumsnet so please don't let me down!)

TenuousGrip Sat 17-Jan-15 10:08:18

You have quite a large budget, may be easier to look for a local dressmaker? I couldn't find my ideal dress (as it only existed in my mind!) but have found a designer who can make it, it's coming to a little over £1000 but that's mostly due to me being tempted by some very extravagant fabric, otherwise it would have been around £800.

Bue Sat 17-Jan-15 15:38:11

Given your budget and quite specific list of wants, I would also consider a dressmaker. You aren't going to find many short dresses that match your criteria, I fear!

Pompbear Sat 17-Jan-15 15:50:28

have a look at candy Anthony

PrimalLass Sat 17-Jan-15 16:18:42

Clearly this is a fakey copy, as the original is ££££, but it is lovely.

www.benefitbridal.com/103166/Monique%20Lhuillier%20VIGNETTE.aspx

PrimalLass Sat 17-Jan-15 16:19:07

www.onewed.com/wedding-dresses/blog/from-city-hall-to-the-altar...-monique-lhuillier-spring-2014-wedding-dress

Real.

ThisOnesForYou Sat 17-Jan-15 16:32:43

Is this anything like you are imagining?

ThisOnesForYou Sat 17-Jan-15 16:34:31

So many dresses are strapless, especially the shorter ones. Would you consider a lace jacket/bolero kind of thing, which could look like part of the dress?

ThisOnesForYou Sat 17-Jan-15 16:49:05

Third one on this page? www.adoringdress.com/short-wedding-dresses.html

ThisOnesForYou Sat 17-Jan-15 17:07:40

How short is short?

SamaSama Sun 18-Jan-15 06:42:37

Ah thank you so much for all the suggestions, I really don't want a bolero/ jacket and not so into cleavage although a little bit is ok. Trying to get as far away from top end of budget as possible hence looking mainly at ready to wear but I will consider going to a dress maker if all else fails.

I really don't mind if it's not particularly bridal, I'm even open to other colours. I keep finding things I really like but they're all sold out or not my size!

www.theoutnet.com/en-AU/product/Mason-by-Michelle-Mason/Paneled-lace-and-silk-mini-dress/430330

www.lyst.com/clothing/alice-olivia-jayna-metallic-cotton-blend-lace-dress-white/

www.polyvore.com/maria_lucia_hohan_lace_sienna/thing?context_id=2842720&context_type=lookbook&id=75059927

Thanks again for the ideas. You've given me some very viable options to mull over!

lavendersun Sun 18-Jan-15 07:03:25

I wore an empire line shift dress when I got married. It wasn't lace but silk with raised bits (very descriptive) that almost made it look like lace.

I have no idea if the have anything relevant these days but it was from Max Mara Pianoforte, came in at about £1000 with a really fine coordinating scarf.

Have you thought about a really good dressmaker? You could buy the most wonderful fabric, have something made and still come in under budget.

lavendersun Sun 18-Jan-15 07:04:34

Also, mine wasn't bridal, a very pale yellow gold with raised white/cream bits which means I have worn it quite a few times.

tigerdog Sun 18-Jan-15 07:07:19

www.minna.co.uk/shop/product/valerie-dress

Most beautiful and unusual wedding dresses, I have tried this one on (a couple of years back) and it was lovely.

SamaSama Sun 18-Jan-15 07:19:16

Ooh I'm liking the look of Minna, thank you!

ThisOnesForYou Sun 18-Jan-15 07:22:46

I think I would do what others have suggested and find a good dressmaker. A friend did that as the dress she loved was around £3000 - much more than she could afford. She got a fabulous dress in gorgeous fabric and could have it just exactly how she wanted it. It cost her much less than £1000 in the end.

Good luck!

Thumbwitch Sun 18-Jan-15 08:44:30

Is this too cheap? www.rotita.com/comfy-round-neck-short-sleeve-white-dress-with-lace-g112482.html?utm_source=polyvore&utm_medium=cpc&utm_campaign=140709124

SamaSama Sun 18-Jan-15 09:05:09

Nice but not quite special enough. This is a rare excuse to wear something I would never normally spend the money on. Thanks for taking the time to look though. It's really very much appreciated.

RosyAuroch Sun 18-Jan-15 09:39:27

Going to second Minna www.minna.co.uk/shop/bridal-dresses

They will tweak styles to suit you as well. I had the Johanna dress but with slimmer and slightly longer sleeves and a bit more empire line.

tigerdog Sun 18-Jan-15 10:59:00

Definitely give minna a try - they were so nice to deal with too! Where are you based?

Thumbwitch Sun 18-Jan-15 13:05:04

I like the Minna ones as well.

Have you looked at Monsoon? This is a nice one, but doesn't quite fit your suggested remit uk.monsoon.co.uk/view/product/uk_catalog/mon_4.1/7457064608

twoboots Sun 18-Jan-15 17:50:08

this is better in real life. i love this company especially if you are near brighton. the quality of the fabric on the dress in the shop is stunning

SantasFavouriteHo Sun 18-Jan-15 18:03:44

Have you looked at "House of Mooshki"?

tethersend Sun 18-Jan-15 21:50:10

structured

simple

available in lots of colours and three lengths

tethersend Sun 18-Jan-15 21:54:21

topshop

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now