Talk

Advanced search

Whether you’re a beauty novice or a confirmed fashionista, this topic is for consulting Mumsnetters on all things style-related. Plus, check out our Swears By page for the inside track on the next Mumsnet must-have.

This 40 year old needs some new makeup, help!

(38 Posts)
MissMiss1 Sat 17-Jan-15 00:15:40

Hi ladies
I'm off out shopping tomorrow on the lookout for some new makeup.

Would love a new primer, foundation and a fabulous concealer. Nothing that will settle into my wrinkles, but will give me a gorgeous natural glow with great coverage
Also need a new blusher, eye shadows, mascara and lipstick. I love the look of Lydia Elise Millens makeup, but unfortunately I don't have her plump skin.

I'm 40 with slightly dehydrated skin on my cheeks and eyes, but can become slightly oily around the t zone. I am fair skinned with blue eyes and brown hair plus I haven't got the longest eyelashes.

Any suggestions ladies, was thinking MAC, Estée Lauder etc, but what do you swear by?

MrsGolightly Sat 17-Jan-15 00:23:34

Hello! I personally love a dewy make up (same age as you with same dehydrated skin) - swear by Mac face and body foundation. Also Laura Mercier Secret Camouflage - best in the business. What colouring are you? Mac have some nice new eyeshadows in (bought a couple last night)
Daniel Sandler watercolour liquid blush is also really good - I prefer to use it at the moment as too much powder is a bit drying...
Let me know on colouring and i'll think about eyeshadow/lips.

MrsGolightly Sat 17-Jan-15 00:24:54

Sorry, should've said that the L Mercier is my concealer of choice - wouldn't use anything else and believe me, i've tried them all.

MissMiss1 Sat 17-Jan-15 00:34:40

Thank you so much mrsgolightly

I'm pale skin, brown hair, blue eyes and a pale lip. Dark eyebrows n sparse eyelashes.

MrsGolightly Sat 17-Jan-15 00:49:33

try Force of Nature eyeshadow then (dark taupes - 2 different ones in the same compact) put the darker shade on whole eyelid and blend lighter one into the crease. Dark pencil - try Verushka Mink by Charlotte Tilbury - as eyeliner (that pencil is a gel kohl - super easy to apply) also put that in top and water lines if you want a darker eye). Mascara, I love Benefit 'they're real' as I prefer the look of dense/long lash. If you want a nude lipstick Modesty by Mac is a proper nude which would doubtless suit your colouring or if something darker then Twig is a deeper plum/brown shade but still good for everyday. Are you more pink toned that olive? sounds like it so if you're after a true red then Ruby Woo would suit you. Good luck!!

MissMiss1 Sat 17-Jan-15 08:14:05

Thank you so much
I've got quite cool colouring when it come to foundations
Pinky colours don't really suit me

Headinthedraw Sat 17-Jan-15 08:20:17

Go to a department strore and have your make up done-Bobby Brown in Selfridges if you are London based will do it for free without an appointment...using really nice products to cleanse and moisturise first.I really like their foundation.Not on commission ...just did exactly that last weekend and it was lovely.

Dustypeas Sat 17-Jan-15 08:24:54

I love Bare Minerals Ready foundation. You can increase coverage for evening and use as a concealer with special concealer brush. it's the best foundation that I've tried and Brilliant for not sinking into the creases. Am currently using Chanel mascara - it doesn't smudge and comes off easily. I tried the benefit mascara which did lengthen but was a bugger to get off!

Dustypeas Sat 17-Jan-15 08:27:16

Oh and NARS blusher in orgasm - always get compliments when I use that.

letsgotothebeach Sat 17-Jan-15 08:58:39

I recently had a bit of a make up overhaul and got lots of ideas from watching Lisa Eldridge tutorials online. My best buys gave been Clinique air brush concealer, Chanel vitalumiere foundation and Becca highlighter. I also love Nars orgasm blush.

SuperFlyHigh Sat 17-Jan-15 12:34:46

lets I've used Clinique air brush (using up L'oreal one now) and vitalumiere is great too.

something2say Sat 17-Jan-15 13:20:00

My one tip?

Eye liner from Superdrug. Their own brand, which is like a felt tip pen and therefore easy to use.

Start in the middle of the upper lid. Draw a thin line to the outer corner. Then draw upwards a tiny bit from the outer corner towards eyebrow. Then fill in the triangle. Voila cats eye which will elongate the eye. If you do liner all the way across the eye it makes the eye look round whereas if you only do one end of the eye it looks like a cats eye and changes the look of your face.

The Bobbi brown makeover is also a great idea. Have fun!!!

Eyeshadow - an Urban Decay Naked set. Last forever, loads of wearable colours and works out at v good value.

Lancome for mascara. I like Definicils better than Hypnose, as it's more natural looking.

Clarins Beauty Flash Balm, if you can get on with it, will help you to create a dewy look. Use the tiniest blob, mixed with your foundation on your hand and then patted quickly on.

doggydaft Sat 17-Jan-15 16:34:03

I started using touche eclat foundation a few months ago and can't rate it highly enough. It is the only foundation I have bought and repurchased.
I'm 42 with pale skin that tends to be dry with dark hair and eyes smile

Chandon Sat 17-Jan-15 20:05:36

I have sparse short lashes and find there are only 2 good Mascaras:

- Diorshow extase
- benefit they're real

MissMiss1 Sat 17-Jan-15 22:42:21

Thank you so much for your suggestions ladies

I didn't make it out today so am going tomorrow

I'm just a bit nervous about spending out lots of money if it's not going to turn out right.

Does everyone agree that if the base is right then everything will follow?

KenDoddsDadsDog Sat 17-Jan-15 22:44:38

YSL Teint Eclat , the best I have ever used . Gives dewy skin and no need for primer . If I'm going out I use Smashbox primer though .

KenDoddsDadsDog Sat 17-Jan-15 22:45:15

Get a sample first - some counters will refund : exchange if it's not right . Ask first .

Annarose2014 Sat 17-Jan-15 23:00:37

For foundation with good coverage and a nice glow:
Clarins Extra Comfort if you want to spend a bit (its the most forgiving foundation I've ever used), and Rimmel Wake Me Up if you want a budget option.

Re: Mac/Estee Lauder. Avoid Estee Lauder Double Wear if you want luminosity. Yes, it lasts ages, but its not for dehydrated skin as its matte and moisture-sucking. Ditto Mac Studio Fix which is their best selling foundation.

For under eye concealer the Clarins Instant Light is excellent as its brightening but has much more coverage than YSL Touche Eclat.

If you have texture issues then get a primer with silicone, such as Smashbox Photo Finish. Otherwise you can get one with a more lotiony finish, such as the Max Factor Facefinity one.

MrsGolightly Sat 17-Jan-15 23:12:28

I am massively into make up (make up artist) and the dewy finish you mention and think you'll like Mac Face and Body but ask them for a tester, they'll give you enough for a good few applications. I second using Clarins Beauty Flash balm under make up but you wouldn't need it with the mac f&b. Illamasqua skin base is loved by many make up artists but I only like it on really clear skin - and not particularly luminous. Re under eye concealer, a cheap one to consider is the Maybelline Fit Me for under eyes mixed with a highlighter to reflect light. The eye shadow I mentioned is a good purchase as reasonably cheap and has 2 colours in the pan which can be used lightly for day and layered to create intensity should you require a more smoky eye for evening etc.

Base is key you're right, as is application so would also recommend a foundation brush for a more flawless look. A great cheap powder for luminosity if you need it over base is Corn Silk (old school I know but does a great job for about a fiver from amazon) Another way to get a bit more dewy is to try Body Shop Vitamin E Face Spritz after make up application, it's my go to if i'm feeling cakey or dry/tired. Smells lovely too.

I find it's a good idea to write a list and go to all the counters for testers - foundation is expensive so you should try it first. Shout if you've any questions.

rollonthesummer Sat 17-Jan-15 23:19:52

Silly question but when you say 'ask for a tester' how do you do that?! I thought testers were the pots they have on display that you can try? They don't give those away, do they or they'll have a gap! Or do they have loads of spares under the counter?

Do you pick a colour you like the look of? Get them to try it on you (I don't fancy that in the middle of a shop!)?

Do Mac have their own shops or are they in Debenhams etc?

MissMiss1 Sat 17-Jan-15 23:29:36

Thank you so much

Mrsgolightly what type ofhighlighter for the under eyes ? would i mix it together with the concealer or apply separately?

I've never heard of force of nature, will google it now

Also have you seen mac honey love lipstick, is that a nice natural colour?

MissMiss1 Sat 17-Jan-15 23:37:07

Mrsgolightly could I be cheeky and ask you to list what you use?

I've already got Mac face n body on my list,will look at Laura merrier secret camouflage. Is this quite thick?

MrsGolightly Sat 17-Jan-15 23:38:06

if you go to any counter they'll have a supply of tiny pots that they'll decant their testers into for you so you can try them at home in your own time - try for a few day and see if you like it.

I have a custom made under eye highlighter/concealer but you could try a tiny bit of benefit high beam or similar - depends what you go for in terms of under eye. By Terry do a great under eye highlighter but it doesn't give a great coverage, it really depends how dark your circles are if at all. Just bear in mind that what you put under your eyes should be a thinner consistency to something you would cover a blemish with - these are two completely different products.

Force of nature is just a new eye shadow by Mac. It's my current favourite for a pretty neutral eye that can be made darker by building up.

Honey love is really nice - try that and modesty. both great nudes.

MissMiss1 Sat 17-Jan-15 23:47:45

Thank you so much

Have have added the mac eyeshadow to my list

I normally use whatever I cover blemishes with under my eyes and it just cakes and looks awful. Something lighter would def be better

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: