Talk

Advanced search

"Cool Mummy"

(11 Posts)
42bunnytails1 Thu 15-Jan-15 20:11:50

According to another thread I'm a some kind of cool, laid back, down with the teens kind of mum.

This is spectacularly inaccurate. I'm a very ordinary sometimes grumpy, sometimes cheerful and often shouty mum.

Thus here I stand a plumpish, shortish 48 year old with greying mousy hair, glasses, M&S legging a Sainsbury's long sleeved t shirt and sketchers wondering how to at least look cool.

mrscumberbatch Thu 15-Jan-15 20:17:30

Why bother? Is my first answer...

And secondly, what would you rather look like? Who are your idols?

Siouxsie Sioux is mine so you can't have her . grin

MyrnaLoy Thu 15-Jan-15 20:21:07

See, the thing is that people either have cool or they don't. I probably have none for using the word cool. Which isn't...er....cool...

Anyway, I don't think you can "learn" how to dress cool, I think it's important to wear clothes well (not letting them wear you) and to feel really, really good in your own style (and skin) whatever it is.

RedandCurly Thu 15-Jan-15 23:29:41

reminds me of Amy Poeler in Mean Girls
"I'm not a regular mom, I'm a coool mom"

I agree with MyrnaLoy. Coolness is a blend of insouciance, quirkiness, and an eye for style. I'm long past looking edgy though. I'm not a cool mom, I'm a regular mom! I own a country casuals cardigan and it gets compliments

RedandCurly Thu 15-Jan-15 23:30:48

Who would you like to look like is a good question.

I'd like to dress like a grown up Blair Waldorf. I loved her style!

TheBuskersDog Thu 15-Jan-15 23:43:41

I think on the other thread posters were suggesting the OP was trying to be cool by the way she behaved rather than they actually thought she was.

mrscumberbatch Thu 15-Jan-15 23:50:06

I have no idea who that is... But with a surname like Waldorf I can assume that it is going to be expensive...

Elletorrito Fri 16-Jan-15 00:05:32

Isn't that a salad?

Apatite1 Fri 16-Jan-15 00:25:49

You'll never be cool to the youth of today. To them you are old and past it. I embrace it!

ZaraW Fri 16-Jan-15 06:26:39

Life is too short about worrying about being cool wear what you enjoy nothing worse than trying too hard. I clearly remember when I was 15 thinking anyone over the age of 30 was ancient.

Skinheadmermaid Fri 16-Jan-15 11:16:10

Well you won't look 'cool' but you can look your best self by styling and dying your hair, losing weight, getting contact lenses, applying decent make up and ditching the sketchers.
But I have a personal hatred of sketchers. My horrible head of year used to wear them with nylon tracksuits.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: