Talk

Advanced search

Whether you’re a beauty novice or a confirmed fashionista, this topic is for consulting Mumsnetters on all things style-related. Plus, check out our Swears By page for the inside track on the next Mumsnet must-have.

Party invite..no dress code..what would you wear?

(18 Posts)
FWPConfused Thu 15-Jan-15 19:20:01

40th Birthday Party invitation has arrived. Quite a lovely invitation...stylish, clearly expensive and classy. Venue is a stately home weddingy type place.

It is for drinks and dancing - no food.

No dress code.

I don't know anyone else (female) going well enough so cannot ask...

What would you wear? LBD? Jeans and sparkly top? Help!

hydeparkhottie Thu 15-Jan-15 19:23:01

I only dress up if food is involved.

CointreauVersial Thu 15-Jan-15 20:03:37

Either a party dress, or trousers/strappy shoes/nice top.

Jeans (ie the denim variety) might be too casual, so maybe coated jeans or ankle skimmers.

FWPConfused Thu 15-Jan-15 20:06:45

LBD a bit much then? Jeans too little?

Hmmm...may have to rethink my options. Bugger.

FWPConfused Thu 15-Jan-15 20:07:12

What would you say is a "party" dress? god I need to get out more

Fisharefriendsnotfood Thu 15-Jan-15 20:08:41

Def LBD.

FairyPenguin Thu 15-Jan-15 20:09:36

I would wear an LBD.

XiCi Thu 15-Jan-15 20:26:32

Yes, would wear the lbd. Definitely not jeans!

FWPConfused Thu 15-Jan-15 20:38:43

OK. Jeans out. That is good. Would have felt a bit dodgy/casual going with that option.

Is LBD possibly too much though?

I could get myself sorted with some black trousers with glittery/sequinned top and black jacket. Would that hit the mark?

Last time I saw these people (DH's uni friends - normally is just him and the boys) was 7 years ago for a different 40th. Then I had a party dress on which DD did a poonami all over. No way could wear it so had to do a quick change in the loos. Ended up with me wearing DH's jeans and T-shirt (long story) under a blazer - with a very, very clinched in belt - spent the entire party feeling like an absolute misfit, baggy bottomed, uncomfortable and wanting to crawl into a hole. Everyone was lovely but I just wanted to cry and left as soon as possible.

Kind of just want to "blend" nicely this time round. grin

nottheOP Thu 15-Jan-15 20:41:41

Lbd but black tights rather than nude legs

FWPConfused Thu 15-Jan-15 21:12:44

Do you mean opaques? Or...sheer blacks ? I thought sheer blacks were at the top of the list of things not to wear?

I like going to the pub. No confusion there...<sobs>

ChaiseLounger Thu 15-Jan-15 21:15:41

Definitely a dress. Definitely not jeans.

nottheOP Thu 15-Jan-15 21:33:00

I meant opaques

twoandahalftimesthree Thu 15-Jan-15 23:28:57

If it's a posh invitation to a fancy venue for drinks and dancing then definitely wear a nice dress. I would say nude tights not black, black tights are more work/casual. The fact that they are obv spending plenty of money on this do suggests more formal dressing than trousers/sparkly top to me.

Amethyst24 Fri 16-Jan-15 00:18:24

LBD but plain and slinky with minimal bling and IMO not strapless/prom-style AT ALL.

Sheer tights are back, apparently.

Lucked Fri 16-Jan-15 00:21:24

To answer your question I would wear something like this although shoes might be tricky.

What style of dress/clothing suits you?

FWPConfused Fri 16-Jan-15 08:06:41

I have an elegant, simple lbd which makes me feel great. Knee length, cap sleeved, understated but low back so has an element of something to take it from the boring. Think am going with that. Dress is too fine/drapey to go with opaques I think so will do the nudes.

I was hoping not to have to buy anything new dress wise unless utterly necessary (realised that possibly something in between lbd and jeans may have been an easier choice) but rather not have something sitting in my wardrobe worn once. Definitely need to get out more!

flowers everyone. You have talked me into feeling comfortable with wardrobe/packing choice - so can look forward to the party.

SocialMediaAddict Fri 16-Jan-15 11:12:29

Your dress sounds lovely. What accessories/shoes? Clutch bag?

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: