Talk

Advanced search

Whether you’re a beauty novice or a confirmed fashionista, this topic is for consulting Mumsnetters on all things style-related. Plus, check out our Swears By page for the inside track on the next Mumsnet must-have.

Whole new makeup needed! Recommendations please.

(17 Posts)
Rinkydinkypink Thu 15-Jan-15 05:21:25

My makeup is shocking! Out of date, old and far to much. Mainly freebies handed down to me. Eye liner pencils so old they've dried up etc! Foundation from over 7 years ago blush. I daren't get rid of it just incase the earth explodes and I might need it.

I'm scared of binning it but it needs a serious overhaul.

I only ever run out of tinted moisturiser (anything goes, but like garnier BB cream) and mascara. Wear both every day. Any makeup I buy I get from the supermarket because I don't have the time or money to do it any other way.

I'm very fair skinned, pink tones. Late 30's and tired with not a lot of time. Dry to combination skin. Skin is pretty good for age and two kids but I need to look healthier, fresher and glam.

Sick of feeling like I've dragged myself up of a morning after a sleepless night. Which in reality is exactly what happens!

Help please grin

ForSaleChesterDraws Thu 15-Jan-15 06:08:23

What's your budget for your makeup bag overhaul? What's your skin colouring and skin type?

ForSaleChesterDraws Thu 15-Jan-15 06:09:09

Oops! Ignore the questions about skin type! Just saw it in your OP. What's yoyr budget?

Rinkydinkypink Thu 15-Jan-15 06:12:52

My budget is honestly as cheap as I can get away with!

CaptainJamesTKirk Thu 15-Jan-15 06:14:18

Get thee to Lisa Eldridge on you tube for fab tutorials.

I'm 37 and have relatively clear skin and use bourjois healthy mix serum foundation, I love the real techniques make up brushes. Eyeshadow I nearly always reach for my urban decay naked palette, but like the little loreal color riche eye shadows, my mascara of choice is max factor masterpiece in black. I am not especially loyal to anything else.

Rinkydinkypink Thu 15-Jan-15 06:18:58

I've heard really good things of Bourjois.

CaptainJamesTKirk Thu 15-Jan-15 06:33:43

I too have dry to combination skin (very dry in winter) and I've recently discovered steamcream. It's a lovely moisturiser for my skin.

Rocksie Thu 15-Jan-15 06:42:10

Just got Seventeen Falsifyeye HD mascara and it's really good if you want length also comes in blackest black colour. About £8 in boots

ForSaleChesterDraws Thu 15-Jan-15 06:57:03

Bourjois Healthy Mix serum in 51 (lightest shade)
Boots Botanics BB cream in light
Mascara- get the gold no 7 tubing one using a £5 off makeup boots voucher thingy. My favourite mascara is Korean beauty tubes in the red and white double ended thing but some people hate it.
Lipsticks- I love revlon colour burst for an opaque look or for something sheerer try their Lip Butter
Blush- bourjois little pots for powder or use another £5 token for a boots no7 cream one.
Eyeliner- the only pencil that doesn't budge on me is Shu Iemera drawing pencils but they are £16 each

thisissohard Thu 15-Jan-15 07:01:41

A couple of the No7 eyeshadow sticks (in Velvet Truffle and Cool Mink) are fabulous staples, as you can use them all over the eyelid, or just as a liner. They do not budge all day and are nice shades. There are more expensive eyeshadow sticks out there, but they tend to smudge/ not last that long.

mowglik Thu 15-Jan-15 08:38:11

Hi - I would mix and match cheaper brands with more exp ones eg bourgeois healthy mix for foundation and brands like MUA or elf for things like eyeliner, mascara.

The best mascara I can recommend is very cheap anyway it's hd mascara by 17 (the boots teen make up brand). Amazing stuff probably due to the great brush

lurkingfromhome Thu 15-Jan-15 09:19:04

Makeup Revolution and Sleek (both in Superdrug) have great eyeshadow palettes that cost peanuts. I'd buy one of those then spend a little bit more on an eyeshadow primer.

Rinkydinkypink Thu 15-Jan-15 10:02:33

I've got some good primers already. I use maybeline mascara. I have benefit bad gal lash for special wink.

I need a good lip colour for everyday and evening. Any suggestions for pale skin?

VillaVillekulla Thu 15-Jan-15 10:05:06

I'd take advantage of one of the Boots 3 for 2 make up offers or I think Superdrug are doing a Buy One Get One Half Price on some brands.

From what you've said about what you wear I would get:
Boots Botanics BB Cream (Light)
Bourjois Healthy Mix powder if you're after powder.
Revlon Photo Ready concealer if you need a concealer.
Revlon Lip Butter in Berry Smoothie
And a load of nice eyeliners from GOSH - they've got a really big range. I've tried lots and they all seem great. I'd recommend trying some softer colours like brown, plum or grey depending on eye colour.
Then I'd probably go for Maybelline plush mascara.

VillaVillekulla Thu 15-Jan-15 10:07:11

I just saw your post about lipstick. I'd go for the Revlon Lip Butters (BErry Smoothie is v flattering on pale, cool tones - it works for me anyway) for day and then maybe a Revlon or Bourjois proper lippy for the evening. Do you wear red? If so, Revlon Red or Revlon Fire and Ice are good. I also like Revlon Cherries in the Snow which is a really deep pink bordering on red. Depends what colours you're into really.

onedirectionparent Thu 15-Jan-15 11:11:22

sorry to hijack, but keep seeing the Boots BB cream mentioned, and I can't find it in Boots or their website - is it actually called something different (eg the radiant youth one?)
thanks (and sorry!)

VillaVillekulla Thu 15-Jan-15 11:16:22

I think it's called Botanics Radiant Youth BB Cream. I can't see it on their website but they definitely still do it - I've seen it in store recently.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: