Talk

Advanced search

Whether you’re a beauty novice or a confirmed fashionista, this topic is for consulting Mumsnetters on all things style-related. Plus, check out our Swears By page for the inside track on the next Mumsnet must-have.

Please help me accessorise this dress

(21 Posts)
madamecake Wed 14-Jan-15 15:15:56

I've just bought this lindybop dress for my DB's wedding in a couple of months. I'd normally go for black shoes, bag etc but it might be too dark for a wedding. I'd quite like to stick with the retro style of the dress.

Any ideas for hair accessories are welcome too, otherwise I'll be wearing my decade old black hair facinator!

Thanks

madamecake Wed 14-Jan-15 15:18:00

Oh, should say I'm only on a high street budget!

slug Wed 14-Jan-15 16:09:22

These shoes I can vouch for them being comfortable enough for the non-heel wearer to dance the night away in. Also available in wine

Twinklestein Wed 14-Jan-15 17:52:10

I'd wear it with midnight blue stilettos and a vintage 50s style diamante hair comb/piece, as I'm a bit over fascinators.

Carvela

Not blue or stilettos but I like them: Tamaris sparkly

madamecake Wed 14-Jan-15 19:05:21

I do like those shoes slug but they have none left in my size (7). I'm really liking the tamaris shoes though twinkle, I'm not sure if I'm a sparkly person but I think they'd look fantastic with navy. Good idea on the diamante hair clip too.

I'm a big cardigan lover, is that a no no for a wedding? Are pashminas a bit past it?

Thanks again

burnishedsilver Wed 14-Jan-15 20:02:26

Is the dress as nice in RL as it is in the picture? How do they make a dress like that for £30. Its gorgeous.

madamecake Wed 14-Jan-15 21:16:43

Yes! I didn't have high hopes, but the fabric is quite heavy and it's fully lined.

I need to move the buttons on the sash belt to make it tighter on the waist, and it needs a full petticoat underneath but I'm very pleased with it.

trufflesnout Thu 15-Jan-15 12:34:37

I'd be going red! Of almost any shade, ideally suede and a very simple design.

How is Lindybop's sizing by the way? Do they run small/true/large?

madamecake Thu 15-Jan-15 13:05:36

I've just bought some red suede Mary Janes to go with a different dress, don't know why I didn't think of those. Would you go for red bag etc too or is that too much? I'm a bit clueless about how to style things.

I'm a larger 12 and their 12 fits me fine, though I did measure myself against their sizing guide just to be sure.

blibblibs Thu 15-Jan-15 13:10:25

That really is a lovely dress. Can I ask how tall you are and how long the dress is?

madamecake Thu 15-Jan-15 13:17:37

I'm 5"9 and it comes to about 3 inches below my knees without a petticoat. Its still below knee length with one on. I think they look lovely mid calf length though if you were shorter than I am.

nottheOP Thu 15-Jan-15 13:34:23

www.dorothyperkins.com/en/dpuk/product/shoes-203538/heels-203589/silver-embellished-leaf-heels-2842236?refinements=Shoe+Size%7b1%7d~%5b7%5d&bi=1&ps=200

www.selfridges.com/en/dune-burst-metallic-courts_942-10105-0083505410017605/?previewAttribute=Black+white-metallic

www.selfridges.com/en/karen-millen-suede-peep-toe-court-shoes_835-10002-214FT200/?previewAttribute=Blue

Navy is so versatile. You just match your accessories. A smart cardi is fine too as is a nice blazer, probably cropped with your dress.

I quite like the peacock colours and metallic accessories.

blibblibs Thu 15-Jan-15 16:21:10

At 5'2 it will probably end up at my ankles sad it is very lovely though.

twoandahalftimesthree Thu 15-Jan-15 22:02:04

Lindybop do petite sizes too

Lucked Thu 15-Jan-15 22:42:46

I love a bit of pink with navy either pale or dark.

dune
phase eight

How does it look without the petticoat? I would consider it for going out for dinner or cocktails.

madamecake Fri 16-Jan-15 11:15:29

Lucked I think there's too much fabric on the skirt part to wear without a petticoat, it just looks too "bunched up" for lack of better words!

I've finally decided on what to wear, going with the sparkly silver/ dark grey shoes twinklstein posted, and have found a long sleeved bolero on ebay that matches. Just have to find a midnight blue clutch bag and a sparkly hair grip.

Thanks for you help all!

Charlieneedscoffee Fri 16-Jan-15 12:08:21

Mademecake, can I ask where you brought your petticoat from? Just checked out Lindy Bop, I've fallen in love with the dresses. I'm pear shaped, ideal for me! smile

madamecake Fri 16-Jan-15 12:53:18

I'm pear shaped too which is why I picked it! I bought this one from amazon in the navy, although they only have L-XL left at the moment.

Charlieneedscoffee Fri 16-Jan-15 13:55:52

Excellent! Thank you. Looking forward to having a proper look later.

BitOutOfPractice Fri 16-Jan-15 14:00:37

Oh I love that dress. I also loved the twinkly shoes so glad you've gone for them

You'll look fab. Have a lovely time

Iliveinalighthousewiththeghost Fri 16-Jan-15 19:40:55

Red or silver accessories would be nice.
Chunky necklace, bag fascinator and shoes,
Red or silver nail varnish

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: