Talk

Advanced search

Poloneck dress? Or scarf? Occasion dressing with hideous neck rash

(14 Posts)
MorrisZapp Wed 14-Jan-15 12:49:21

Hello from MZ. I've got appalling psoriasis just now (thanks, Scottish winter) and my neck is covered in angry redness. I have an eveing event coming up next week, to which I usually wear a Phase Eight type dress with tights and heels. I've never worn a 'fashion scarf' before and don't know where to start. I'm giving a speech so all eyes will be on me and I'm nervous enough about the speech never mind the horror of having my neck seen.

Can anybody think of a high necked dress, or tell me how to wear a scarf with a normal dress?

Makeup won't work, it just sinks into the horrible dry bits. I'm 43, size 14 and have massive boobs.

MorrisZapp Wed 14-Jan-15 12:51:19

Also got short hair so there's nowhere to hide.

TarkaTheOtter Wed 14-Jan-15 12:52:06

Are you on Pinterest? There are lots of scarf tying tutorials on there which might give you some ideas. Is the dress patterned or plain?

TarkaTheOtter Wed 14-Jan-15 12:54:08

Plus I can definitely sympathise. I have eczema and was so stressed on my wedding day that I had a massive flare up on my neck. I thought it wasn't that noticeable but it came out really badly on the b+w photos. Looked like a birthmark because of the contrast.

MorrisZapp Wed 14-Jan-15 12:54:56

The dress I was planning to wear is patterned, red and black on blue background. But thinking about it, might be better off with little black dress I have in my wardrobe. What kind of scarf would go with LBD? Thanks for pinterest idea, I'm on there.

MorrisZapp Wed 14-Jan-15 12:55:56

Aw Tarka, it's the story of our lives innit.

TarkaTheOtter Wed 14-Jan-15 13:07:38

I'm not a scarf wearer (ironically they irritate my skin) but Pinterest seems to favour a leopard print with lbd.

cressetmama Wed 14-Jan-15 13:29:57

Sympathising with you. No help on scarf tying but if you could forgive the obvious, I presume you have tried hydrocortisone twice daily? I have suffered atopic dermatitis this winter for the first time, and it has helped lots! (Thank you mr pharmacist!)

TreadSoftlyOnMyDreams Wed 14-Jan-15 13:46:22

You could channel Judy Dench and get a super long and sparkly (or velvet might kinder on irritated skin) and wear it backwards iykwim with the lbd?

Presumably a hijab would look a little out of place. They must be dead handy sometimes.

Lay your hands on a necklace like this www.bodyartforms.com/productdetails.asp?ProductID=8704

TreadSoftlyOnMyDreams Wed 14-Jan-15 13:51:09

Would this cover up most of it?
www.jaeger.co.uk/houndstooth-high-neck-dress/630070J.html?start=24&cgid=sale-women-dresses&dwvar_630070J_size=16&dwvar_630070J_color=00100

TreadSoftlyOnMyDreams Wed 14-Jan-15 14:32:15

Polonecks generally look terrible with large boobs so here's the best I could find. Apologies if they are all still too low on the neckline.

This but with something a bit more structured underneath perhaps, black trousers or skirt and a big necklace

[[ www.asos.com/ASOS/ASOS-Peplum-Top-with-High-Neck-in-Premium-Fabric/Prod/pgeproduct.aspx?iid=4560850&cid=11320&sh=0&pge=1&pgesize=36&sort=-1&clr=Black&totalstyles=309&gridsize=3 this]] with a pencil skirt and possibly spanx. Weirdly the peplum sort of balances the full boobs.

Or this - lots of options on sale. Means spending a bit of money but if it's a recurring issue, it might be an easy think to invest in and have in the wardrobe?
www.shibumistyle.com/en/s1200-long_nehru_jacket_in_hot_magenta_embroidered_silk.html

TreadSoftlyOnMyDreams Thu 15-Jan-15 13:24:01

Sorry - I seem to have killed that for you. Are you having any luck OP?

MorrisZapp Thu 15-Jan-15 13:47:23

Lots of brilliant suggestions, thanks everybody! I've found out the reason for my flare up, apparently it's classic after a bout of tonsilitis. I have cream, and will get some sunbed sessions next week.

I've bought a scarf! I'll try to do a piccy. Got it in John Lewis, and tied it in pinterest style smile

MorrisZapp Thu 15-Jan-15 13:51:14

Won't let me attach jpeg. Anyway it's pink, with darker pink trellis type pattern. Beck Sondergard? Whoever that is.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: