Talk

Advanced search

Whether you’re a beauty novice or a confirmed fashionista, this topic is for consulting Mumsnetters on all things style-related. Plus, check out our Swears By page for the inside track on the next Mumsnet must-have.

I need maternity clothes! Where to look please?

(21 Posts)
FeelTheNoise Wed 14-Jan-15 07:15:14

Very surprised at being pregnant shock I already feel as if I need mat clothes, as a lot of my clothes (ok, jeans) are quite tight.

I normally shop in places like river island. I'm not a rich woman, so please no expensive suggestions.

I need some skinny jeans - I'll figure out how to get them on and off later wink I need some plain black and white shirts and summer tops. Possibly a plain black dress.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated smile still proc

Swifey Wed 14-Jan-15 07:19:59

Hi there! New look is great for basics, as is primary. For skinny jeans you can't go wrong with h&m, and they do nice tops too. It's worth having a look on eBay too, for jojo maman, seraphine, and boden stuff. I also got some packs of pants in primark (normal bikinis) but just a size or two up! Hope that helps x

HoggleHoggle Wed 14-Jan-15 07:21:46

I got loads of stuff from asos. It's ridiculously cheap and I found fit my bump well. They have a huge range. Some stuff isn't overly good quality material but given the low price and that I wasn't wearing it for long, I didn't mind.

mrsnec Wed 14-Jan-15 07:22:52

I got everything from asos. I didn't need much. I wore harem pants and maxi dresses I already had and then just got leggings, a dress a few long tops and a swimming costume and that was it! It was around this time of year too so the sale is on. I spent around 100 pounds on everything I needed.

I know different from you but I'm sure they'll have what you're after.

pinkypurplegiraffe Wed 14-Jan-15 07:24:42

Congrats.
H&M all the way. Cheap and cheerful, and not too frumpy. My one tip is that if you are planning to Breastfeed, get maternity wear that enables you to do that. I was in maternity clothes much longer after delivery than I thought I'd be!

mowglik Wed 14-Jan-15 08:55:28

Think about a maternity capsule wardrobe (everything works together) so you don't have to buy too many bits that's what I'm gonna do second time round

I liked h&m best followed by new look for basic vests etc

Cranagh Wed 14-Jan-15 09:15:00

I liked H&M, Seraphine and Isabella Oliver. Ebay afterwards!

FeelTheNoise Wed 14-Jan-15 09:31:25

Thank you so much everyone! H&m mat clothes look just right - I'm after a few fairly plain items that can be worn and worn for a year. I'm getting excited now grin

kaykayred Wed 14-Jan-15 10:01:50

Seraphine!! They have some great dresses which aren't expensive. They do some excellent looking jeans as well. And loooooooovely jumpers!

Basically if I'm ever pregnant I will be a walking advertisement for Seraphine!

LackingCommonSense Wed 14-Jan-15 10:52:40

New Look and H&M were brilliant! Also got the odd item from Asda George. Primark do maternity wear as well now. Wish they did it when I was pg!

LackingCommonSense Wed 14-Jan-15 10:53:57

And Peacocks!

rosyrose79 Wed 14-Jan-15 10:56:21

I used to love H&M when pregnant, lots of lovely bits from tops to jeans, vests, etc. Asda George have a nice selection of maternity clothes too and keep an eye on sales online you can get great bargains.

Oly4 Wed 14-Jan-15 14:57:38

Gap maternity is brilliant and cheap in the sales. It's seen me through two pregnancies so far and could do a third. Good quality and extremely comfortable!

MakeMeWarmThisWinter Wed 14-Jan-15 17:09:08

I've ordered this parka - looks good but it hasn't arrived yet.

didireallysaythat Wed 14-Jan-15 17:11:26

EBay

mewkins Wed 14-Jan-15 21:08:11

Definitely look at ebay for bargains. My best trousers came from there for a fiver! H&m skinny jeans are great but size up as they come up small, unlike Next which I found to be huge.
Also I would only go for over bump trousers and skirts.

Romcom Wed 14-Jan-15 21:12:08

Asos maternity skinny jeans are good. Search ebay for 'maternity bundle size 10' or whatever size you want and loads comes up. Can get a whole wardrobe for £50.

Catypillar Wed 14-Jan-15 21:18:40

Last time I got bundles of stuff from eBay, mainly Next tops, jumpers and trousers.

This time round I need to look a bit smarter at work so I've added to my old stuff with a few dresses from eBay (second hand Isabella Oliver, Crave, Asos and Topshop, new Genius Genes- all £5-15) an Isabella Oliver top from eBay, two pairs of skinny jeans (second hand Topshop and New Look from eBay- last time was 7 yrs ago so the old ones are bootcut which I'm not keen on any more- can't tuck them into my boots), new tshirts, vest tops and skirt from the New Look sale, tights and pyjamas from the Mothercare online sale. Wearing my normal cardigans with the dresses as I don't button them anyway. Probably spent about £150 altogether.

TreadSoftlyOnMyDreams Wed 14-Jan-15 21:20:13

I'm still wearing two plain white maternity t-shirts I bought in Gap in early 2010......
smilesmilesmilesmilesmilesmilesmilesmilesmilesmilesmile
It's worth having some good quality basics from Jojomaman or similar. You will live in them and they need to stand up to the washing and drying especially if suitable to wear when bfing

WanderingTrolley1 Wed 14-Jan-15 21:21:52

New Look, H&M, asos - all great.

FeelTheNoise Wed 14-Jan-15 21:38:21

What a fab selection, thank you all so much smile I honestly didn't know where to start! The stuff on Seraphine is exactly what I'd wear all the time if I could, it's lovely! I'll be on the lookout for a bundle on eBay grin

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: