Talk

Advanced search

Whether you’re a beauty novice or a confirmed fashionista, this topic is for consulting Mumsnetters on all things style-related. Plus, check out our Swears By page for the inside track on the next Mumsnet must-have.

Night out in London outfit advice needed

(16 Posts)
Evenhasawatermark Mon 12-Jan-15 19:16:45

Please help me! DP being the lovely man he is has organised a 2 night trip to London for us to have a bit of time together alone after a horrible year.
We had a miscarriage and then I have been written off with depression, lost my job and am only just getting back on my feet.
I want to get all done up and look beautiful, however I have piled on weight with depression and not much of what I own fits me.
What kind of thing is in fashion for London swanky bars for a 30 year old with pale skin (will orange myself up a bit), brown hair and a size 10 slightly pear shape?
I need cheap options that don't look too cheap as I don't have much money spare for clothing. DP has offered to treat me but as he is paying for the time away and spending money there I don't like to ask too much.
Any advice will be greatly appreciated-I have fallen out of touch with fashion completely recently!

kaykayred Mon 12-Jan-15 19:51:34

Firstly, don't orange yourself up. Embrace the pale and try and enhance it if anything. Pale skin by candle light looks beautiful. Fake tan by candle light not so much.

What will you actually be doing in London? Going to very swanky bars or just going to nice bars together? Going somewhere actually super fancy, or just some where together?

Unless you are planning on clubbing, then people don't tend to dress over the top in London. It's not really practical with all the walking and tubes, etc. Plus it's cold and probably raining!!

What sort of budget are you thinking of when you say cheap options? Do you have one in mind?

I would go for the age old advice:

* Don't wear a dress or skirt unless it's stiff fabric, else it WILL get blown up all the time and you WILL spend the whole time trying to hold it down.
* Don't wear heels unless you are VERY confident that you can walk over cobbles, down ribbed stairways, and across grated floors in them
* Wear something that you feel comfortable in. It's such a cliché, but it's also a good starting point. Do you prefer trousers or skirts? Do you love your arms but hate your legs? Vice versa? Don't mind showing a bit of cleavage or prefer more modest necklines?
* What styles do you normally like? There's no point wearing something you would feel like a twat in!
* Try not to stress. This is such a lovely gesture from your DP you could probably go in your pj's and he would still be totally enamoured with you.
* Also, people in London aren't nearly as stylish as everyone seems to think!
* MOST IMPORTANTLY Wear something at least vaguely practical. There's no point looking like a model if you're freezing to death!

To start you off....

THIS TOP is very versatile (you need to wear a white or cream vest beneath it though), and would work very well with a skirt like THIS. The skirt is tight, but since the top is so loose it will balance out your shape. I'm a pear and it works for me!

THIS TOP would look great with some slim leg jeans in either grey or dark indigo, with a cream/navy cardigan. As a plus, you could easily wear this look with ankle boots and still look amazing. Just add a fake pearl necklace and earrings!

Don't forget that clothes are only part the look. Blow dry your hair (I just chuck my head upside down and randomly point the dryer around til it's done then brush through and it still seems to look good after!). Paint your nails the day before.

Evenhasawatermark Mon 12-Jan-15 20:25:42

Thanks kaykay, we'll be going to nice bars on the first night then bars and a club the second night.
I like the skirt and top combo-I'm definitely more of a dress person than a trouser/jeans one though. I love heels and live in a very cobbled town and so I'm at home in skyscrapers!
Budget will be around £30 per outfit blush but I won't need accessories or shoes so it could be doable.
My skin is not the nice type of pale-more the cornedbeefy look...
I don't have a cleavage but do have a good back and good shape to my legs.
I'll be popping on my (short) acrylic nails the day before and will be cutting my hair into a long bob about a week before so I can just muss it up to keep it looking fresh.

Evenhasawatermark Tue 13-Jan-15 19:38:08

Ok, I know no one is bothered but I spoke to dp last night and he had bought me this without asking

m.asos.com/mt/www.asos.com/ASOS-Petite/ASOS-PETITE-Exclusive-Skater-Dress-with-Embellished-Back/Prod/pgeproduct.aspx?iid=3167716&un_jtt_application_platform=newPlp&un_jtt_redirect
It is so pretty and I would have never have chosen it!

Evenhasawatermark Tue 13-Jan-15 19:41:18

Before anyone mentions it-I know it's very cheap-that's why I love it more-I would have been horrified if he'd have spend £200 on a dress!

hestialou Tue 13-Jan-15 19:47:40

Depends on where you are going, until mid thirties I would go out in west end in smart jeans and a sparkly top every Friday night, usually just to bars and occasionally clubs, Saturday night would generally where black dress. Lots of offers for dining out, try bookatable.com for a swish meal at discount.

LondonLancashireRose Tue 13-Jan-15 20:02:09

Even, your DP sounds like an absolute gem! I hope you both have a wonderful time.

BatonRouge Tue 13-Jan-15 20:42:49

What a helpful post KayKay - spot on re the niceties of evening attire in Ldn smile

Marylou2 Tue 13-Jan-15 22:09:18

Your DP sounds lovely.Hope you have a wonderful time and that 2015 is a happier year for you bothsmile

kaykayred Tue 13-Jan-15 22:15:20

That looks lovely :-) Is it a playsuit?

You are definitely going to need tights with this weather!!!

I hope you have a lovely time, and I'm glad that you don't have to worry about stressing over an outfit now!

coffeenut Wed 14-Jan-15 10:02:15

I would use some bronzer or fake tan (st tropez) - I understand completely the corned beef issue (esp in cold weather) and it also makes your skin look more toned (esp in that fab dress your DP has ordered). I would look at sparkly/sequinned/backless or otherwise interesting black/metallic tops and a coated denim or pleather pencil skirt (Dotty ps, next, new look - or oasis/warehouse if u can get a bargain). Personally i always feel more on trend in skinnies, but that is personal preference!

Knittingbat Thu 15-Jan-15 13:22:57

I would definitely agree with everything KayKay said. When I go out in my home town (a LONG way from London) I am always shocked at how much more everyone gets dressed up - little gorgeous dresses and car-to-bar shoes. You'd just be worried about sitting in something nasty on the tube/getting the heel of your lovely evening shoe stuck down a grate etc here.

Fake tan really doesn't seem to be done that much any more which again always startles the beautifully bronzed ladies in my home town when I tell them. Really pale with red lips seems to be the thing.

LOVE the dress your husband got - think it would look so nice with opaque tights.

Otherwise, KayKay is right about less is more - skinny jeans, ash jalouse style boots, biker jacket, scarf, floaty top, cardigan seems to be the law. Also still cream/off-white sneakers like converse, keys, or brightly coloured nikes for day time.

Jewels234 Thu 15-Jan-15 17:59:22

As a 30 something size 10 who lives in London, I swear by French Connection body con dresses, a statement necklace, thick black tights and black heels

www.frenchconnection.com/product/woman+Collections+dresses/71CKE/Manhattan+Textured+Bodycon+Dress.htm

Unidentifieditem Thu 15-Jan-15 18:07:07

As a Londoner can I add that anything goes. On a night out I see girls done up to the eyeballs, and others in very casual gear. Nobody is judged which is great, it's a very chilled city! I went for cocktails at the bar at be Connaught wearing high top trainers, skinnies and a jumper. Some people were there in what I'd call negligé. We were all treated the same.

Have a wonderful trip. Your DH sounds fab. grin

Notonaschoolnight Thu 15-Jan-15 18:19:22

Your husband is bloody amazing can I borrow him wink

Evenhasawatermark Fri 16-Jan-15 22:29:42

Yay for my DP smile He is a bit wonderful! The dress he's got me is going to be my Friday night outfit, I think after comments I'll go for a cami bodycon black dress with a grey crop t over and ankle boots on the Thursday. (I do not fit skinny jeans much to my despair-I am a cyclist!)

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: