Talk

Advanced search

Whether you’re a beauty novice or a confirmed fashionista, this topic is for consulting Mumsnetters on all things style-related. Plus, check out our Swears By page for the inside track on the next Mumsnet must-have.

I don't 'do' art and I don't 'do' dresses. What can I wear to this wedding? Please help!

(51 Posts)
Instituteofstudies Sun 11-Jan-15 20:53:19

My nephew is getting married in April. It's in a village church followed by reception in village hall. Everyone is very un-flashy. I'm 5' with short spiky hair. Size 12 hour glass shape. Dark brown hair, pale skin tone. 54 years old.

I feel like a twit in a dress (plus can't wear heels because of bad foot) and I feel most comfy in skinny jeans, boots, jumpers and a parka! My entire wardrobe, apart from the dress (L K Bennet one) that I wore to other nephew's wedding, consists of jeans, jumpers, t shirts and gym stuff. Please can you help me look casually smart enough for a wedding and to not feel like I'm 'dressing up.' I love navy, grey and white. I look like a small box in wide trousers. Will be very grateful for ideas.

calzone Sun 11-Jan-15 20:56:01

Could you wear a tunic with leggings, flat shoes?

ZeroFunDame Sun 11-Jan-15 20:58:19

Jumpsuit?

Everywhere will have them this Spring.

iklboo Sun 11-Jan-15 20:59:15

I like plain jersey / jumper dresses over leggings with flat shoes or pixie type boots & accessorise with interesting jewellery.

NotEntirelyWhelmed Sun 11-Jan-15 21:00:27

Black suit, coloured shirt and tasteful accessories.

Or you could just not go. Weddings are pants.

ZeroFunDame Sun 11-Jan-15 21:05:28

Something like this. Adjusted for whatever your budget may be.

MrsWolowitz Sun 11-Jan-15 21:09:44

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

ZeroFunDame Sun 11-Jan-15 21:15:18

I'm seeing you in this OP.

RemusLupinsBiggestGroupie Sun 11-Jan-15 21:16:06

Something like this maybe?

ZeroFunDame Sun 11-Jan-15 21:17:43

Or this.

iklboo Sun 11-Jan-15 21:19:06

OP is 5ft tall, same as me. Anything ankle lengthy makes me look like I've raided the dressing up box. Especially with flat shoes. (I am shamelessly looking for ideas for posh do I'm going to in August, budget only about £100 though. And no all in one jumper suits. Not with the amount I have to pee) wink

tethersend Sun 11-Jan-15 21:19:21

Don't rule out all dresses... Something like this, this or this would be good with pointed flats.

burnishedsilver Sun 11-Jan-15 21:29:01

Petite navy jumpsuit?
Next

Unfortunately it's polyester.

Bunbaker Sun 11-Jan-15 21:31:25

"Weddings are pants."

Only MN weddings are. I have never been to a horrible wedding or one with a bridezilla running the show.

ZeroFunDame Sun 11-Jan-15 21:41:18

I'd be a bridezilla.

No one would be allowed in wearing leggings ...

Instituteofstudies Sun 11-Jan-15 22:21:54

Wow, thanks everyone. So many suggestions. The colours I like and suit are grey (charcoal or mid), navy, purple. The thing I totally forgot to mention are my huge norks! 32 ff. So although I'm in proportion elsewhere, my boobs are a bit big for my height/size. Anything draped over that area and I look like a pocket-amazon.

Iklboo is right, anything ankle length doesn't work - though saying that I did get a v cheap maxi dress to wear on hols and it actually made me look longer. And I wore it with flats. So maybe I shouldn't rule out dresses. I just feel 'not me' in them. I'm not sure about jumpsuits with big norks? I like the idea though.

Instituteofstudies Sun 11-Jan-15 22:22:38

Oh and white. I love white. Don't want totally white outfit though as doesn't seem to be wedding etiquette.

iklboo Sun 11-Jan-15 22:41:19

I too am large of nork. I got a Grecian style dress that was lovely, draped in the right places, just over knee length. The cut suits hour glass figures too. I wore it with flat Grecian style sandals. From Amazon & not £££ (if you're only going to wear it a couple of times).

Instituteofstudies Sun 11-Jan-15 23:12:02

Iklboo thanks for that. Do you happen to know if the dress you got is still available? I do need some more smarter clothes, so whatever I get I would wear for meals out etc.

Amethyst24 Sun 11-Jan-15 23:18:58

Honestly, I'd wear the same LKB dress you wore to other nephew's wedding. It's not like you're MotB both times or anything like that. Wear it - I don't buy into the absurdity of a new outfit for every wedding.

Instituteofstudies Sun 11-Jan-15 23:26:49

I was considering that Amethyst. It's the brother of the nephew getting married though so all the same people? Does it matter?

Amethyst24 Sun 11-Jan-15 23:30:00

I don't think it matters even a tiny bit. I doubt anyone will remember and unless they both have the all-the-family-together photo blown up to a massive size and hung on their sitting room walls, no one will ever know. You can accessorise differently with things you will wear again.

Instituteofstudies Sun 11-Jan-15 23:48:23

You are prob right here Amethyst. Though I do need some smarter stuff generally as I am going out more than I used to, so as long as something isn't £££ and I will wear it again, I'd like to get something new.

LadyB49 Mon 12-Jan-15 02:15:32

I got a fabulous outfit when I married my husband. Cost £350 including bag/shoes/jewellery. 10 months later I wore it again for stepson' s wedding with different jewellery. Loved it so much and many of the same people were there. Then sold the lot on eBay for 200.
For other s/son wedding I wore maxi black shift with statement oyster coloured silk wrinkly jacket type wrap. I then sold the jacket on eBay for 75. Kept the shift dress and will use it for the next family wedding with new wrap/jacket/cover up.

Absolutely no probs wearing some of same stuff even as part of the wedding party.

Italiangreyhound Mon 12-Jan-15 02:26:57

Call me crazy but I love this jacket here teamed with dark trousers.

Maybe with this nice one.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: