Talk

Advanced search

Whether you’re a beauty novice or a confirmed fashionista, this topic is for consulting Mumsnetters on all things style-related. Plus, check out our Swears By page for the inside track on the next Mumsnet must-have.

Shampoo for greasy teenage hair?

(8 Posts)
roisin Sun 11-Jan-15 14:01:31

I had greasy teenage hair; back in the day (big, freezing cold house, no central heating, limited hot water) it was quite usual to only shower/wash hair a couple of times a week. I used to buy "shampoo for greasy hair".

ds2 has greasy teenage hair and a reluctance to shower daily (hmm). His hair looks lovely when it's just been washed, but starts to look rather lank and limp within about 6-8 hours; looks well past its best the next day, and truly grim on 3rd (and subsequent!) days.

I looked in Boots for "shampoo for greasy hair", but it appears such a product no longer exists.

Any suggestions?

clairewitchproject Sun 11-Jan-15 14:04:00

For my son we use head and shoulders with menthol and we 'freshen it up' in between washes (Mon and Fri - he has aspergers and it's a battle, though he baths 4 times weekly) with Batiste (?) dry shampoo, you spray it on and rub it in and it de-greases hair a bit.

mimiasovitch Sun 11-Jan-15 14:07:11

My dd uses vosene, but has to wash kit every other day otherwise it's awful. It's still a bit of a battle, especially compared to dd1, who despite having hair that would last a week, showers incessantly and uses all my shampoo.

PerpetualStudent Sun 11-Jan-15 14:09:31

I would reccomend lush solid shampoos - I have fine hair with tendencies to grease & love their 'New' shampoo bar which has cinnamon & other scalp-refreshimg beauties.

Also just started using another one with lemon & rosemary, which might be equally well-suited?

I think greasy hair is like greasy skin - if you go for it with commercial products which 'strip out' the grease, your body can react by producing more. Whereas gentler products can help your body find a balance...

queenbrunhilda Sun 11-Jan-15 16:46:37

Alberto Balsam apple. Difficult to find though.

roisin Sun 11-Jan-15 18:11:11

Thank you.

Gem124 Mon 12-Jan-15 19:05:10

I have hair that looks dirty after a few hours (the constant touching doesn't help!!) And I use Herbal Essences Fresh Balance. It's for oily hair and is green, only about £3.99 from Boots & supermarkets

alltoomuchrightnow Mon 12-Jan-15 19:51:40

I have terribly greasy, lank hair a day after washing..
can't live without Lush's BigShampoo, I Love Juicy or Rehab.
also... rub the shampoo in BEFORE adding the water..it really breaks down the grease. Once a month I use washing up liquid to give it a really good cleanse
I always use conditioner on the ends, but have long hair so it doesn't go near scalp

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: