Talk

Advanced search

Skin Care For Pubescent 10yr DD

(10 Posts)
BlessedAndGr8fulNoInLaws4Xmas Sun 11-Jan-15 11:39:29

Hello
Any recommendations for face wash & face moisturiser for my 10yr DD who is pubescent and has an oily t zone with a few spots .
Thankyou!

BritabroadinAsia Sun 11-Jan-15 12:17:58

My tween girl uses Cetaphil, which I think is great - very gentle but really seems to help. Am not in the UK, so don't know if its one of those brands you can get in the chemists/Boots?

BlessedAndGr8fulNoInLaws4Xmas Sun 11-Jan-15 15:33:30

Ah thankyou Brita- yes I can get that. smile

BlessedAndGr8fulNoInLaws4Xmas Sun 11-Jan-15 23:22:02

Anybody else ? Please?

Amethyst24 Sun 11-Jan-15 23:27:36

I second Cetaphil - I used it as a slightly spotty teen. It's cheap and simple to use too - you don't want to lumber her with a skincare routine that's so much hassle she won't bother - she's still a child really. I'd go with that and a high SPF face moisturiser - any old one will do. Sunblock is more important than anything else at that age.

BlessedAndGr8fulNoInLaws4Xmas Sun 11-Jan-15 23:56:25

Thanks Amethyst

iwantgin Mon 12-Jan-15 07:27:29

I wouldn't go for any harsh anti-spot regimes at that age. Keep it basic. As long as she is keeping clean that's enough for now.

Cetaphil is very gentle - not sls free, but doesn't irritate skin . I was recomended is by a dermatolgist, and it is nice in that it doesn't strip the skin of oils. Feels clean, but not squeaky, it is counterproductive to be too cleaning.

I buy a twin pack of large pump dispenser from Costco - it lasts ages.

kaykayred Mon 12-Jan-15 08:27:31

If your child is already getting greasy skin and spots by the age of ten, then it might just be that they are going to be predisposed to acne, at which point it doesn't really matter what products they use - they will need medication.

As someone who had to grow up with bad acne for many years, I would beg you to consider taking them to the doctor the moment you think their acne isn't being helped by products (persistent) or that it is worse than other kids her age.

Doctors always start people off on some shitty round of tetracycline, which only has a noticeable effect on a tiny number of people, before they start to consider other options. Obviously dermatologists require months upon months of waiting to get an appointment.

BlessedAndGr8fulNoInLaws4Xmas Mon 12-Jan-15 09:33:01

Thanks iwantgin for more info on cetaphil I was a bit worried I can't see many "natural" goodies in there...

Kay your heads up is very much appreciated - her dad suffered bad acne and has scarring so she may be predisposed to it then ..
I will certainly do what you say it's a very valid point.

MilkThistle187 Mon 12-Jan-15 14:51:53

My teen boy uses La Roche Posay Effaclar cleanser and moisturiser, works very well

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now