Advanced search

Sali Hughes book on beauty. Does it tell you anything that ain't obvious

(18 Posts)
ZammoMcGuire Sun 11-Jan-15 06:57:08

Please

NotQuitePerfect Sun 11-Jan-15 07:04:41

Not really. But it's a lovely book smile

MrsCampbellBlack Sun 11-Jan-15 07:11:55

No. It was an ok read but I don't really like a lot of her recommendations.

ZammoMcGuire Sun 11-Jan-15 08:35:54

Gah. I won't bother then

zinnia Sun 11-Jan-15 10:04:08

I like it. But then I am a beauty ignoramus.

If you like her columns/ website you'll probably like the book...

TheMD Sun 11-Jan-15 10:12:37

I like the book. Yes, a lot of it is obvious but (to me) only when you think about it and someone tells you the answer, iykwim?

lurkingaround Sun 11-Jan-15 10:27:23

Sali Hughes is a journalist. AFAIK she has no qualifications in beauty therapy, cosmetic science or dermatology.

If you want expert advice go to an expert? (Disclaimer: Haven't read the book).

Trills Sun 11-Jan-15 10:29:48

She's a journalist, so she's good at writing things that people enjoy reading.

I'd treat it as an "Interesting read" that might have some tips, rather than a textbook.

SqueezyCheeseWeasel Sun 11-Jan-15 10:33:56

She was a MU artist pre beauty journalism career, lurking. Not formally qualified, afaik, but trained with a really good one so did it as a sort of informal apprenticeship.

The book is an easy read but won't tell you anything you don't already know if you know anything about your own skin type or you've read her columns, or you've read any of Paula Begoun's books.

SqueezyCheeseWeasel Sun 11-Jan-15 10:34:26

I like her columns, though.

mrsrhodgilbert Sun 11-Jan-15 11:00:47

I bought this book for dd1 (21) for Christmas. As she doesn't have vast knowledge yet she has really enjoyed it and likes the style of writing. She says it's like having a very knowledgable big sister. She has since discovered her on youtube and finds her very good on there too. I suppose it depends on your current knowledge.

lurkingaround Sun 11-Jan-15 11:30:08

Ah, thanks Squeezy. I did not know that.

Notonaschoolnight Sun 11-Jan-15 16:43:47

Do you not think though that because we know of her and her book, chances are we know about beauty and skincare anyway and that's why its not teaching us anything? I don't know about you but the vast majority of women I know have never heard of her and could really do with reading her book

pinkfrocks Sun 11-Jan-15 17:17:05

I think what you have to always bear in mind with her recommendations is that she is not necessarily impartial and she also promotes brands and shades that suit her. She has quite striking colouring- dark hair and uses bright lippie etc- so unless that is your style too some of what she suggests is no good. At the end of the day it's only an opinion she gives and her advice is just the same- her opinion.

MorrisZapp Sun 11-Jan-15 17:20:54

I love the book. It doesn't just give advice, it's a brilliant read too. I don't think a lot of it is obvious, and I think Sali is as well qualified as anybody to be a respected beauty guru.

If you don't fancy the book, don't buy the the book.

ZammoMcGuire Sun 11-Jan-15 17:28:08

alright Barry Took - I was only asking if people would rate it

MairzyDoats Sun 11-Jan-15 17:37:51

I just got it, I'm enjoying dipping in and out of it, it's well written and informative. I hadn't thought of wearing a serum under moisturiser until reading it. It made me realise that I've been neglecting bits of me that actually are quite quick and easy to sort. So yes, I'd recommend it.

Notonaschoolnight Sun 11-Jan-15 18:10:38

Just realised my reply was quite negative, I still enjoyed the book and have read it twice and enjoy reading salis articles too

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now