Talk

Advanced search

1970s fashion

(16 Posts)
HobbitWife Fri 09-Jan-15 22:57:40

I have to attend a 40th party soon, and it's themed to the year of birth, or thereabouts.

I don't want to look a frump in a pair of flares, but the only mental image I get when I try to picture 'glamorous' for the 1970s era is Margo Ledbetter from "The Good Life"!

Can anyone help me out? I'm hobbit sized and shaped (although trying to change the shape through some serious dieting!) and I have a few months to source something. I want elegant, gorgeous, attractive.

I may also need some help with hair/make up advice or tutorials as I'm just not a natural glamour-puss - yet!

zinnia Fri 09-Jan-15 23:32:28

There was a good thread on this very subject (with lots of useful linkage) yesterday if you go back a page or so. Now feeling slightly sorry that the 40th I'm off to next weekend isn't a 70s theme..!

tethersend Fri 09-Jan-15 23:34:16

What size/shape/colouring are you?

What's your budget?

HobbitWife Sat 10-Jan-15 00:17:25

Thanks zinnia, I shall have a look for it!

tethersend, by the time of the party I will be a size 12, and will sadly still only be 5' 4". Blonde hair, pink and white skin tone.

Budget is flexible according to whether the outfit is wearable again afterwards or not!

RojaGato Sat 10-Jan-15 01:01:44

Bianca Jagger's white trouser suit with nowt underneath was pretty iconic

hauntedhenry Sat 10-Jan-15 07:21:56

Google Jane Birkin!

twoandahalftimesthree Sat 10-Jan-15 08:50:41

It was my op yesterday and the advice was brilliant.
If you're wanting elegant Google Lauren Hutton academy awards (sorry, can't seem to link to this on my phone). The maxi dress look is very flattering and very 70s.
Theres a dress very like the style of Lauren Hutton on ASOS it's £55 so not bad price wise. I'd be tempted myself except I'm too tall for it. m.asos.com/mt/www.asos.com/ASOS-Petite/ASOS-PETITE-Deep-Plunge-Super-Full-Maxi/Prod/pgeproduct.aspx?iid=4623990&cid=9979&sh=0&pge=0&pgesize=50&sort=1&clr=Emerald+green&totalstyles=204&gridsize=3&un_jtt_v_frompage=0

twoandahalftimesthree Sat 10-Jan-15 08:53:50

Just thought, you would need gold accessories and shoes for it. I got some great gold sandals yesterday in the new look sale for £5- they had lots!

HobbitWife Sat 10-Jan-15 11:01:23

Thank you for all the suggestions so far - they're definitely helping me to refine what I want to search for!

I think I'm leaning towards the maxi dresses with wrap style tops (more flattering for the busty) and the tip about gold accessories is good.

I'm such a "jeans and t-shirts" type usually that I was in a bit of a flap about this themed party, but I am determined that this year I up my game, change my style and get some fashion advice! (I'll probably be back for advice on day to day style later!)

tethersend Sat 10-Jan-15 11:09:51

What's your budget?

This isn't cheap, but is absolutely gorgeous and could be worn again.

I posted this on yesterday's thread.

this is simple but could be 70s'd up with a wide brimmed hat and platforms...

Twinklestein Sat 10-Jan-15 11:22:09

OP, you could checkout my 70s Pinterest page for inspiration.

HobbitWife Sat 10-Jan-15 14:40:35

tethersend, think my budget is probably up to 'about' £200 for something I can wear again. Obviously a lot less if it's something distinctly in the 'fancy dress' way.

The first dress you linked above is nice, but I think it would look awful with my bust (extremely large for my frame) but the cross over or wrap style top of the other two might work.

Thank you for the link to your Pinterest, I shall check it out smile

PeaStalks Sat 10-Jan-15 16:46:52

I was a teenager in the 1970s and wore some dire stuff. I have noticed there is a lot of velvet around now? One of my all time favourite outfits was a plum velvet long skirt with a floppy matching jacket.
Actually it's in a suitcase in the loft......

tethersend Sat 10-Jan-15 17:39:27

How about this?

tethersend Sat 10-Jan-15 17:41:32

Or something more Barbara from The Good Life?

burnishedsilver Sat 10-Jan-15 18:25:17

Rocky Horror picture show came out in 1975. You certainly wouldn't look like a frump if you took that for your inspiration!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now