Talk

Advanced search

I've never been to a wedding but I've been invited to 3 this year

(30 Posts)
ChristmasMoaner1 Fri 09-Jan-15 15:37:11

I need to find a dress that I'll probably wear to all 3, but I don't really know what people wear to weddings. blush

Can anyone help me find a dress or give me some ideas so I can find something appropriate?

Budget Max £100. I'm a size 10\12 and I'm 24.

smile thanks in advance for any help.

nottheOP Fri 09-Jan-15 15:46:14

Rules;

You're not going clubbing
You're not someones Granny
You're not at the Oscars
No black dresses to summer weddings IMO

www.asos.com/asos/asos-wiggle-dress-in-blue-paisley-print/prod/pgeproduct.aspx?iid=4730691&clr=Print&SearchQuery=wiggle+dress&pgesize=36&pge=1&totalstyles=59&gridsize=3&gridrow=2&gridcolumn=3

www.asos.com/asos/asos-wiggle-dress-in-summer-days-print/prod/pgeproduct.aspx?iid=4319407&clr=Print&SearchQuery=wiggle+dress&pgesize=23&pge=2&totalstyles=59&gridsize=3&gridrow=1&gridcolumn=1

www.asos.com/asos/asos-wiggle-dress-in-summer-days-print/prod/pgeproduct.aspx?iid=4319407&clr=Print&SearchQuery=wiggle+dress&pgesize=23&pge=2&totalstyles=59&gridsize=3&gridrow=1&gridcolumn=1

www.asos.com/Chi-Chi-London/Chi-Chi-London-Applique-Bust-Midi-Debutante-Prom-Dress-With-Tulle-Skirt/Prod/pgeproduct.aspx?iid=4890842&CTARef=Recently%20Viewed

WishUponAStar88 Fri 09-Jan-15 15:50:40

I'm a similar age/ dimensions and Coast is my go to for dresses smile if ordering online be aware that their full length dresses are longer than a lot of stores (which works well for me as I'm 5ft10 and can still usually wear heels) but if short they may be too long.
As long as you look fairly smart I don't think it matters too much ... I personally wouldn't wear plain black or white as a guest but I know that others sometimes do. I love weddings - enjoy!

BackforGood Fri 09-Jan-15 15:51:41

Great rules by nottheOP grin

I like the first 2 you have linked to is the 3rd one the same? much more than the 4th.

Remember, if it's in a Church, it can often be quite cold, even in Summer, and there is often a lot of standing around outside, whatever the venue of the ceremony. Think about jackets or other things to go with your outfit.

ChristmasMoaner1 Fri 09-Jan-15 15:58:52

wow thanks for the quick responses.

nottheop, I like the first 2(3) but I'm 5ft4 so I'd be worried that they would be too long. sad but you've given me an idea of the sort of thing I'm looking for.

Thanks for mentioning the cold church/being outside alot/jacket thing. I didn't know that.

another question... are tights okay? blush

ChristmasMoaner1 Fri 09-Jan-15 15:59:26

back, I'll have a look at coast now. thanks for the suggestion.

ChristmasMoaner1 Fri 09-Jan-15 16:06:31

so many beautiful things on the coast website. Why have I never looked before? shock

momb Fri 09-Jan-15 16:09:01

to add to not's rules:
not ivory or white.
...and not the prom dress unless you are a bridesmaid!

Greywackejones Fri 09-Jan-15 16:11:59

You will now! Wait for the sales in there. They are often extremely good. Particularly for work wear that is 'softer' than suits.

Also try Baukjen. Lots of wrapping and fluid lines. Again pricey at FP but a damned hot bargain in sales.

Do you use ASOS? At your size and age Id live on it. But like top shop but better. And cheaper than coast/baukjen.

MaryWestmacott Fri 09-Jan-15 16:13:06

ah, 24, that's the time it often starts. Aroun 26/27 was the peak of wedding invites for us (one summer we realised over an 8 week period, there was no weekend where we weren't either going to a wedding or a hen/stag do), then suddenly you run out of unmarried friends and stop giving all your money to John Lewis gift lists... grin

Great timing for thinking about it, with the sales. I would say a navy blazer/jacket would probably stand you in good stead for the 3.

As well as the lovely dresses on Asos listed and coast, have a look at Boden, they have some in the clearance now.

Boobs away and not arse skimming, avoid red, black and white, while for some weddings, those are ok colours, if you want your dress to last you a range of weddings, don't get those. (white = looks like you are trying to compete with the bride, black = mourning, red = traditional colour for the groom's mistress, not much of an issue now but some older relatives might get the hump).

Tights are fine, I would think about your shoes too, lots of standing at weddings, nothing you are going to be in pain before the canapes have been eaten...

Hats/fasinators, not normally needed, although some more formal weddings you might look out of place without, worth checking. (sparkly hair accessories also works).

Do you have a clutch bag?

Greywackejones Fri 09-Jan-15 16:19:32

Other things to think about; accessories. Sometimes it's easier to build an outfit around a necklace or shoes.

And re the jacket, I'd possibly go more kimono like in a Japanese style (chiffon and tassels) which look great with a tailored dress both softening and relaxing whilst staying smart.

m.asos.com/mt/www.asos.com/Jaded-London/Jaded-London-Shiny-Silk-Kimono-In-Feather-Festival-Print-Co-Ord/Prod/pgeproduct.aspx?iid=4795217&cid=15198&sh=0&pge=0&pgesize=50&sort=1&clr=Multi%2f+feathers&totalstyles=43&gridsize=3&un_jtt_v_frompage=0

This is bright. Helping you loads when picking shoes/bags/jewellery. And might mean you could get away with black or navy as a base dress.
Bear with me it's winter, limited options but as spring hits these will lighten up giving a nice boho vibe.

MaryWestmacott Fri 09-Jan-15 16:22:51

I quite like this one from Boden but might be a bit 'old' for you.

Also this one from anthropologie

another good place is damsel in a dress

Will the same people be at the same weddings? It might be worth trying to get something very plain or if you do have £100 budget, get 2 dresses in the sales so you don't have to be the same in every wedding photo!

hellsbellsmelons Fri 09-Jan-15 16:30:52

quite cute
bargain
very wedding-eee
easy to accessorize
phase eight have loads here
monsoon maybe??

ChristmasMoaner1 Fri 09-Jan-15 17:15:03

thank you all so much for your advice and suggestions. smile

I need to start making the DCs dinner now but I'll be back once I've had a chance to go through all the links properly.

irregularegular Fri 09-Jan-15 17:18:01

You don't have to dress totally differently just because you are going to a wedding. If you do, you'll probably feel uncomfortable and certainly won't wear it again. I think most of these dresses are too old for you and scream 'wedding'. I'd try Karen Millen, Ted Baker, Reiss. All have young, fashionable dresses that a formal enough for a wedding - remember they won't be as short on you as on the models! Normally they would be too expensive but they have sales on now so there is some choice under £100.

irregularegular Fri 09-Jan-15 17:19:06

And please don't wear a fascinator.

MaryWestmacott Fri 09-Jan-15 17:55:07

well, irregular, you kind of do need to wear somehting different if your wardrobe is normally jeans and jumpers, or going out dresses that are boobs and legs out! grin

irregularegular Fri 09-Jan-15 19:41:05

True! But it doesn't have to be a million miles from your dressed up for best clothes.

Sendo Fri 09-Jan-15 20:06:10

French Connection

Pink is still available

tethersend Fri 09-Jan-15 20:32:35

this could be worn in so many different ways and is a great colour.

chipsandpeas Fri 09-Jan-15 20:43:26

dont rule out ebay as well - theres plenty of people that sell dresses they have bought for weddings etc and only worn once
only downside is its not as easy to return it if it doesnt fit but my general rule of thumb is eg is im a size 12 in a lot of say coast dresses (i wish) then getting a dress in a similar style from ebay isnt a bad shout

plus then you will have a lot more choice from previous collections

ChristmasMoaner1 Fri 09-Jan-15 21:28:42

I promise I won't wear a fascinator grin

I really really really love the boden dress. I'm short though so I think it'll be too long. sad I'll probably buy it anyway to try it on.

I have found some bargain asos dresses.

[[ http://www.asos.com/Lydia-Bright/Lydia-Bright-Lace-Top-Skater-Dress-In-All-Over-Floral/Prod/pgeproduct.aspx?iid=3703667&WT.ac=rec_viewed&CTAref=Recently+Viewed]]

[[ http://www.asos.com/Closet/Closet-Strappy-Waisted-Dress/Prod/pgeproduct.aspx?iid=4820809&WT.ac=rec_viewed&CTAref=Recently+Viewed]]

I'll get a blazer type jacket too, thanks for that suggestion. smile I have loads of bags and clutches so that's not a problem and I'll decide on shoes once I've sorted a dress.

ChristmasMoaner1 Fri 09-Jan-15 21:31:15

sorry about the link fail! I hadn't thought of eBay, thanks for that. I can always resell if it doesn't fit so not too much of a problem.

Green is supposed to be unlucky for weddings too. Unfortunately you can never tell in churches how cold/hot they'll be, I remember going to a full Catholic Mass one once, the church was like a sauna and it lasted about an hour and a half, not pleasant.

When choosing shoes bear im mind that you might be standing/walking on grass quite a bit and pointy heels will sink.

ChristmasMoaner1 Sat 10-Jan-15 14:53:03

can you tell me what you think of this dress please? Is it wedding-y enough?

www.debenhams.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/prod_10701_10001_60514+FFN0019689_-1

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now