Talk

Advanced search

Dress in wrong colour - help!

(7 Posts)
Itscurtainsforyou Thu 08-Jan-15 23:38:02

I bought a dress last season - still has the tags on but too late to take it back.

It fits really well but is just the wrong colour for me - a light green colour with pattern. I'm an autumn so suit darker colours - I bought it because I loved it not thinking of how it would look on me...

I've tried wearing it with a darker cardigan, but just end up looking like a dinner lady in an overall and cardigan hmm

I thought about dying it, but there's visible white thread around some seams, which would probably show up.

Is there anything I can do other than eBay it and buy something in the right colour?

looki Fri 09-Jan-15 01:50:06

Could you keep it for late spring or summer? I'm an autumn too but in summer the colours that suit me 'best' are simply too dark and wintery looking.

I would team it with a blue cardigan to create a contrast rather than match it. You could also try a little scarf to keep the colour of the fabric from merging into your skintone or a statement necklace in a contrasting colour. Also try a little fake tan to warm up your skintone when wearing it?

p.s. could you link a photo of the dress so we could give you clearer ideas?

Itscurtainsforyou Fri 09-Jan-15 08:51:47

Thanks!
It's this one - it looks much better on:
http://www.pinkpoodleboutique.co.uk/braintree-osaka-print-wrap-dress-4039-p.asp

Greengardenpixie Fri 09-Jan-15 11:47:17

Thats a nice dress..but that colour would be equally awful on me as i am sallow. The print and shape are nice. You could also wear a scarf next to your face. This would brighten it up. Jewellery might also help. Maybe a bead in a darker green? or a contrast?

looki Fri 09-Jan-15 14:54:57

The colour would completely wash me out also.

I'd try a little fake tan and a lot contrast colour boyfriend cardigan over it so it would add more colour and definitely a scarf to break the neckline.

I'd be tempted to try and make it work before selling it as it really is lovely.

looki Fri 09-Jan-15 14:55:26

* long not lot!

Itscurtainsforyou Fri 09-Jan-15 15:15:44

Thanks! I love it too smile

I tried it with a brown cardigan but it didn't work - any suggestions for alternatives? Deep green? If it makes a difference, I have dark brown hair and eyes, but quite pale skin (which seems to alternate between yellow and pink tones, unhelpfully)

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now