Talk

Advanced search

Making a dress lace up on the back?

(7 Posts)
BobsTaintedLeftLeg Thu 08-Jan-15 21:56:24

Hi,

My DD has a black tie do to go to at the end of this month, a work do thing.

She tried on her prom dress from a couple of years ago and it doesn't quite zip up anymore.
Ironically we had to get it taken in originally!

I've had a sudden brainwave about having it made into a lace up back.
I'm hoping it'd be cheaper than a totally new dress plus she has shoes etc to match already!

Any ideas how much this would cost?

I'm going to email the lady who took it in before and ask her, but thought I'd sound it out as an idea here first.

Ujjayi Thu 08-Jan-15 22:42:17

In theory this kind of alteration is relatively straightforward but it does involve a lot of work.

What colour is the dress? She will need to make either a matching or contrasting modesty panel to sit behind the lacing of the corset so that skin isn't exposed.

Does it fit ok on the actual waist? If not, it may not be do-able since you will create too big a gap & the skirt will look wrong.

SelfLoathing Thu 08-Jan-15 23:11:37

I'm hoping it'd be cheaper than a totally new dress

Really? Clothing is so cheap now due to foreign imports that my bet is that you could find some kind of suitable party dress that would be waaay cheaper than labour costs of alteration.

TheCraicDealer Thu 08-Jan-15 23:37:58

Have a look at the sales and have a Plan B- something like this is v labour intensive. If you're paying a tenner to get an unlined skirt taken up like I did last week you could be looking at the same money as a new dress!

BobsTaintedLeftLeg Thu 08-Jan-15 23:39:37

Thanks everyone.

Spoke to DD and she wants a new sodding dress, guess what Saturday is going to entail?!?

burnishedsilver Thu 08-Jan-15 23:41:57

I wouldn't work out cheaper so it's probably fit the best.

burnishedsilver Thu 08-Jan-15 23:42:28

For the best, not fit the best!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now