Talk

Advanced search

Anyone been to a Swishing Party?

(13 Posts)
Maureeeeen Thu 08-Jan-15 16:53:50

Have been invited to a charity one at the weekend. Any tips?

Ardha Thu 08-Jan-15 17:16:09

I Went to one which was for fundraising as well. Its best if lots of people go so you have a chance of finding something in your size. On that occasion you had to take at least 3 items you wanted to get rid of, has to be good condition so someone will want to wear it. I came out with a lovely dress and a skirt and a jumper I think. Will be ok if you are all similar sizes, its a chance to try something you might not normally try, without spending a fortune.

Pumpkinette Thu 08-Jan-15 23:54:51

Went to one a few years back. It was very badly organised. The person holding the even never turned up so it became a bit of a free for all. I did get a couple of really nice dresses and sent some stuff I never wore to a good home.

lurkingaround Fri 09-Jan-15 09:37:52

What's a swishing party?

Pumpkinette Fri 09-Jan-15 09:50:59

It's a clothes swap party lurking.

lurkingaround Fri 09-Jan-15 12:50:04

Thanks Pumpkinette. Haven't been to one of those. Sound great in theory.

daimbardiva Fri 09-Jan-15 14:16:20

I went to one once. There weren't many people there, everyone was a size 8 except me (I'm a 14). Would've have been good with more people.

lovingmatleave Fri 09-Jan-15 14:25:19

Yes - quite small with a bunch of people who all knew each other so very informal and good fun. Its amazing how nice some of your own stuff that does;t suit you looks on someone else and vice versa. Tips - wear decent underwear or vest type top if you want to try anything on. We also took necklaces, scarves and shoes that we didn't want. We went through each persons offerings at a time which avoided a free for all and it generally went to the person that suited it the most.

Coumarin Fri 09-Jan-15 19:07:49

Oh, I thought it was going to be where everyone had blowdrys and spent the evening swishing their shiny hair about.

perfectlybroken Fri 09-Jan-15 19:51:01

Have these regularly, great fun and always get something nice. Also nice to see your unworn clothes being used!

Romcom Fri 09-Jan-15 20:00:56

There's a monthly community swish near me. It's brilliant as hundreds of people go, it lasts all day. I've had some amazing stuff from there! I love swishing!

emeraldislegirl Fri 09-Jan-15 20:25:05

I love them.

Don't worry about the clothes you take. Some will love them.

Don't be shy about saying you like the look of something.

Be ready to try on clothes - wear underwear/cover ups that you are happy for people to see.

Don't worry about the size on the label. Try things on which look the right size and are your colour and style.

Try some things you wouldn't usually go for. You might be surprised.

If there is a reject pile - keep an eye on things you like that other people are trying on. If it doesn't fit them and get put back in the mix swoop.

The ones I have been to have really positive atmospheres with people complementing each other.

Hope you enjoy it.

Chocolategirl7 Sat 10-Jan-15 08:28:48

I've been to a few and organised a few with my slimming group. Think they are a great idea and have got loads which I wear regularly.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now