Talk

Advanced search

A school-run then going to work sort of coat

(15 Posts)
WipsGlitter Wed 07-Jan-15 14:36:41

I need one of these ^ don't want it to look too anorak-like ie like I'm about to go hiking, but not keen on the boden rainy day look either. I don't want it too long as I hate sitting on a coat in the car and preferably it will have a hood (the holy grail of mum coats!).

At the minute I am wearing an Armani coat I bought years ago but it is way too bulky and too good to be wearing like this.

I have a small - below £70 budget, but have £100 of M&S vouchers!

ToSeaInaSieve Wed 07-Jan-15 15:38:17

I was going to say a Boden Mac but what it is it about them you don't like? If it's the garish colours/patterns, they do sometimes come in plain colours and I have a dark grey one which is v. smart.

Or if you still don't like that classic mac style, what do you prefer?

polyhymnia Wed 07-Jan-15 15:40:51

If I were you, I'd choose the coat you liked best for and was most suited to work and just wear it . After all the school run isn't an occasion that requires any special outfit in itself surely .

WipsGlitter Wed 07-Jan-15 15:44:53

It probably is the pattern and the length of the boden coats I don't like.

I know what you are saying re the school run but I was just trying to illustrate what I would be wearing the coat for.

MakeMeWarmThisWinter Wed 07-Jan-15 17:07:36

What polyhymnia said.

But if you want a hood, there's not many smart coats with a hood around. I have a wool one from Cos, try there plus they have a sale on. Or you could try a smart duffle type coat?

TreadSoftlyOnMyDreams Wed 07-Jan-15 17:52:05

Too anoraky?
www.marksandspencer.com/premium-performance-thinsulate-hooded-mac-with-stormwear/p/p60064640
Smart coats with hoods don't exist in my view - see this
www.marksandspencer.com/best-of-british-pure-wool-duffle-coat/p/p22327515

They have a pretty big selection of hooded coats though

MakeMeWarmThisWinter Wed 07-Jan-15 20:22:37

This is my Cos one - sold out unfortunately but it is really smart. Fit is very different to the pic too, it comes down to my knees and is more cocoon shaped.

zinnia Wed 07-Jan-15 23:32:48

I have that Cos coat in camel from a couple of years ago when I searched high and low for a work coat with a hood. It's great, mine has a zip-up front so practical all round. Only complaint is it's unlined (a personal bugbear), but I have a feeling the more recent ones are lined.

It seems to be a recurring style for them and they crop up semi-regularly on eBay, worth keeping an eye out (last year's version was in burgundy I think)

MakeMeWarmThisWinter Thu 08-Jan-15 19:26:49

Mine isn't lined either Zinnia. It's lovely fabric, but not very warm tbh as it's not lined. It's beautiful smooth wool / poly / cashmere mix that just looks so luxe and hangs beautifully. The burgundy one last year and the navy one the previous year are shorter, were above the knee on me - and were lined in cotton. It's more than I'd ideally spend on a coat but it's the third year in a row I've lusted after it and I didn't want to miss it altogether!

Pumpkinette Fri 09-Jan-15 09:30:40

What about a shorter length hooded duffel coat?

like this?

or this?

WipsGlitter Fri 09-Jan-15 10:21:17

I like that first H&M one! I don't want it over my bum because its annoying then when I'm driving. I've seen some flitting through M&S but they didn't look as if they had hoods.

mammmamia Fri 09-Jan-15 11:11:43

Love that cos coat. Please post if anyone sees it come back in!

Pumpkinette Fri 09-Jan-15 17:54:27

How about this one from Zara?

ActionManEyes Fri 09-Jan-15 19:05:43

Boden do a shorter length RDM that looks quite nice in plain black here . Hope link works, on kindle and winging it here grin

Norfolkandchance1234 Fri 09-Jan-15 19:37:37

For winter My smart work coat is black wool from M&S. When it's freezing I have a sort of waterproof long puffa one with a hood from Zara. When it's torrential rain I use an oversize mans anorak that does up over everything. I find it impossible to find the perfect water proof coat.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now