Talk

Advanced search

What item of clothing should every wardrobe contain?

(67 Posts)
coffeetofunction Wed 07-Jan-15 13:22:39

I'm going to spend time this year building my wardrobe up & I wonder what items people think every woman needs in their wardrobe?

I think a good pair of fitting jeans & a black blazer...

What else?smile

ShatnersBassoon Wed 07-Jan-15 13:26:14

White blouse.

70isaLimitNotaTarget Wed 07-Jan-15 13:30:30

Good quality knitwear ( caresses Woolovers pure new wool jumpers ) that can be washed

dexter73 Wed 07-Jan-15 13:30:53

Long sleeve t-shirts in a range of colours.

Purpleflamingos Wed 07-Jan-15 13:34:53

Matching underwear

Enormouse Wed 07-Jan-15 13:37:38

Leather biker jacket
And a well tailored winter coat.

TwistAndShout Wed 07-Jan-15 13:38:18

I would say navy blazer rather than black.

mewkins Wed 07-Jan-15 13:38:50

A black pencil skirt and a smart coat.

Leather biker jacket and a brilliant pair of boots.

mummypig3 Wed 07-Jan-15 13:41:39

Black trousers

OneLittleLady Wed 07-Jan-15 13:50:30

Cashmere cardigan and jumper
A good well fitting winter coat
Well fitting jeans in whatever style suits you in indigo and black
A warm scarf and hat
Leather gloves
Leather biker jacket
Well fitting blazer

ToastMakesMeHappy Wed 07-Jan-15 14:05:29

Control pants grin

MaryWestmacott Wed 07-Jan-15 14:08:23

a smart and relatively plain dress, in black, navy or grey. One that can be dressed up or down, for all 'evening out' or 'smart lunch' type situations. (My "little black dress" is on its last legs, thinking of changing it to a little navy one next time as then it can be dragged out for things like "evening wedding invites")

For the non-winter wardrobe:

A couple of jesery 'wash and wear' summery dresses that aren't too strappy so can be fine in the UK - worn with sandles on hot days, with ballet pumps and cardies on spring 'sunny but chilly' days.

A flattering and supportive swimsuit or tankini.

A couple of pairs of tailored shorts that cover your bum cheeks but aren't "girl guide leader" and are in material that don't show your patterned pants through.

A belted trench for spring/autumn

MaryWestmacott Wed 07-Jan-15 14:10:22

oh and Toast is right, everyone (who doesn't have a perfect 6-pack) needs control pants!

MrsMarigold Wed 07-Jan-15 14:12:02

Good nude undies a smooth bra and pants.

MrsSkinnyLegs Wed 07-Jan-15 14:13:18

Nnnnngghhh. Aaaaaarrrgggg. No, it's no good, I've got to say it. WHATISTHISOBSESSIONWITHBLOODYBIKERJACKETS!! They're AWFUL! There is nothing that says 'i am a woman of a certain age who is trying to be Kate Moss/ Pearl Lowe/ insert sleb certain age woman here am therefore stylish' than a biker jacket. NO!

<goes for a small lie down>

Wellieswithaholein Wed 07-Jan-15 14:13:34

Items that you can't wait to put on...not "oh this will have to do"

I have quite a lot smile

MrsSkinnyLegs Wed 07-Jan-15 14:15:00

*...and am etc...

Argh!

highlighta Wed 07-Jan-15 14:15:48

I have a black blazer. I think I have worn it about 3 times. I think blazers look great on some, but not all. I don't think I look good wearing one, so reckon that shouldn't be on a 'have to have" list personally....

highlighta Wed 07-Jan-15 14:17:27

Got to agree with MrsSkinnylegs on this one wink

Cherrypie32 Wed 07-Jan-15 14:19:04

Scarves! Winter wooly ones, cotton summery ones. Relatively low cost so you can own a variety.

I look ridiculous in jeans! and find them uncomfortable, so would not consider them a must-have for every wardrobe. I have a vanishingly small number of occasions on which I would need or want a black blazer, so that's not a staple in my opinion either.

I think everyone should have an outfit that they can wear to parties, or out for meals - basically what I grew up calling a 'best' dress - though it needn't be a dress - it could be a skirt and some pretty tops, or smart trousers and tops to go with - as long as they make you feel happy and special and confident.

Enormouse Wed 07-Jan-15 14:27:12

No one's making you wear one MrsSkinny.

I think parkas are worst offenders of the category you're describing

dreamingofsun Wed 07-Jan-15 15:10:21

this partly depends on your lifestyle - i need a woolly hat and thick coat and a good waterproof coat - but if you work in a city, and have no outside sports, i can't imagine they would be so key.

i like nice vest tops and these are missing so far. you can wear them under jackets in the winter or by themselves in summer. Plus a plain black pencil skirt as they can be used for a wide variety of purposes/outfits

WildFlowersAttractBees Wed 07-Jan-15 15:12:02

Good shoes and a great bag. Accessories to dress up plain staples.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now