Talk

Advanced search

Frye boots

(11 Posts)
monkeytennismum Wed 07-Jan-15 10:08:26

I am in a boot black hole. I have some heeled ankle boots for going out but need some everyday boots and just don't know what to do. Every couple of years I buy some Clarks/Schuh/TK Maxx etc. boots but they just don't last through all the school runs. I've given up trying to be trendy but would like to be stylish. So my eyes have come across Frye campus boots. www.amazon.co.uk/Frye-Womens-Campus-Cowboy-Boots/dp/B000IV6X2A

These look like they'd do the job but they are sooooooo expensive and I can't seem to find them discounted anywhere. Does anyone own these boots? Are they worth the £200 approx. price tag? I have NEVER spent that much on boots - would I regret it? Are they actually a horrible style and I have been the victim of boot-hunt fatigue? confused

Any help very much welcomed smile (PS I really don't like UGGs)

OfficerVanHalen Wed 07-Jan-15 10:18:35

What do you wear them with? I got some a couple of years ago, and they were fine with wrap dresses and kind of doing a seventies thing, and fine when jeans tucked into knee boots were in, but when everyone went ankle boot crazy they felt a bit wrong.

In terms of quality and durability etc they're great, the kind of boots that look better with age and that you can have resolved and heeled and all that, but for versatility, I think the Frye engineers are better: www.amazon.co.uk/Frye-Engineer-12R-Womens-Boots/dp/B0013EVG3C/ref=pd_sim_sbs_sh_1?ie=UTF8&refRID=103M4QE67QZXFHHW6TWM

I have some 12r engineers in dark brown and they go with loads more stuff. I got lucky with mine on eBay (sold as used but unworn) you just have to keep checking and hope you get lucky.

In terms of regret, Frye boots are one of those items that retain their value quite well so even if they only scratch your itch for a little while, you can still sell them on for quite a good price as long as you look after them.

peaz Wed 07-Jan-15 10:28:22

I bought some on ebay, for a steal at £17, and they are great. They are a bit hard to get on (I suspect this is why they were sold) but I am slowly working my way into them and it's getting easier.

They are sturdy and look like they will last quite a while.

OfficerVanHalen Wed 07-Jan-15 10:30:04

Yes, if you do end up ordering any, whatever style you get, get a big long massive shoehorn at the same time.

monkeytennismum Wed 07-Jan-15 15:33:38

Ha ha, good tips about the shoehorn ladies! Thank you, will keep my eye on ebay....

WomanScorned Wed 07-Jan-15 19:13:15

I got my engineer boots for £125 from Amazon. They're worth every penny. They do take some wearing in tho - esp. If you have a high instep. They do come in different fittings, though, so be sure you're ordering the right size/width. I've had vintage/preworn harness boots before, ready worn in, and they still last forever.
I just don't think they date.

Gem124 Wed 07-Jan-15 21:14:11

I got some gorgeous gray ones from the outnet and they're beautifully made but very very hard, I think they'll take a lot of wearing in but are worth it. Mine were £127x

Lucked Thu 08-Jan-15 00:45:50

I have the ones pictured above in a different colour but if I am honest they are so heavy more often than not I don't wear them. Pretty indestructible though.

Lucked Thu 08-Jan-15 00:47:49

It's actually the harness boots I have not the engineer

StupidFlanders Thu 08-Jan-15 01:02:04

I have some like the imageofficer posted but more "distressed" and a bit shorter. They slip on easily and feel like a really well made boot. If the weather is crap I don't worry about them at all!

Because mine are so distressed I think they can pass as black or tan which is really useful.

maybemyrtle Fri 09-Jan-15 00:00:55

I have the Engineer 12Rs in black and I deliberated for ages! I paid £190 from amazon - the plan was to check for size then buy elsewhere cheaper, but I ended up keeping them. Absolutely love them and considering getting another pair in gaucho of smoke.

I have had no problems getting them on. They rubbed a bit for the first couple of wears but are now perfect.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now