Talk

Advanced search

I love this bag but it's a man bag, wwyd?

(16 Posts)
0pheliaBalls Tue 06-Jan-15 23:37:40

http://johnlewis.com/mt/www.johnlewis.com/john-lewis-made-in-italy-leather-messenger-bag/p255386?colour=Brown&un_jtt_v_pdp=yes&un_jtt_v_from_product=un_product_30#page_loaded
I'm worried it'll look a bit blokey when the look I'm going for is vintagey, antiquey type of thing. Do you think the webbing strap is a bit 'sporty'? I mainly wear 40s tea dresses and the like, can't decide if this would look OK. Help! grin

WhirlyTwirlySnowflakes Tue 06-Jan-15 23:39:21

I can't see the link but if you like it and can afford it, buy it.

I'm sure it doesn't require a penis to operate it.

ouryve Tue 06-Jan-15 23:41:17

Your link is messed up, but just go for it.

ouryve Tue 06-Jan-15 23:44:59

This one?
www.johnlewis.com/john-lewis-made-in-italy-leather-messenger-bag/p255386?colour=Brown
It's fine. Deep and practical and you could get documents in without folding them into tiny pieces. The only thing that would put me off is the lack of pockets.

My only reservations about webbing straps is that they're a bit rubbish in the rain.

BikeRunSki Tue 06-Jan-15 23:47:30

I use a bag almost identical to that in black. It's getting on s bit now, but whever I try to replace it, I can't find anything I like as much.

0pheliaBalls Tue 06-Jan-15 23:47:33

m.johnlewis.com/mt/www.johnlewis.com/john-lewis-made-in-italy-leather-messenger-bag/p255386?colour=Brown&un_jtt_v_pdp=yes&un_jtt_v_from_product=un_product_30#page_loaded

Try again! Sorry smile

Haha no, no penis required! grin Just worried it'll look a bit masculine with dresses.

WhirlyTwirlySnowflakes Tue 06-Jan-15 23:49:19

If it's the one ouryve linked to, it's very nice. Not too blokey, definitely no penis required.

WhirlyTwirlySnowflakes Tue 06-Jan-15 23:50:05

Nah, it'll make a nice contrast.

0pheliaBalls Tue 06-Jan-15 23:51:35

Ouryve thank you! While I was busy faffing you'd got there already grin It has a pocket inside and a phone pocket, plus a zipped pocket on the back. I need pockets for all my fiddly bits so ideal in that respect. I share your concerns re webbing, I used to have a Mulberry with a webbing strap and it used to get very soggy in the rain.

Bike they do it in black, too! It's on the website.

WinterShivers Tue 06-Jan-15 23:54:04

It doesn't look "manly" treat yourself to it smile

0pheliaBalls Tue 06-Jan-15 23:59:58

Thank you Winter, I think I shall! I'm not a fan of faffy womany bags, I like quite rugged Indiana Jones type satchel things but they can sometimes look a bit odd with floral dresses! Hopefully this one will look fine. Thanks for the help flowers

WhirlyTwirlySnowflakes Wed 07-Jan-15 00:01:55

The bag will be fine. Possibly the hat too. A whip is a step too far.

Tribeca10013 Wed 07-Jan-15 00:06:06

Nice bag,not disimilar to scaramanga brand

TheGirlOnTheLanding Wed 07-Jan-15 09:53:51

Ophelia, I like plain leather cross body bags too and struggle to find them. I like the bag but know what you mean about webbing straps.

I've recently bought a slightly smaller cross body satchel from here www.yoshi.co.uk/search?q=Rushmore - it's all leather and because of the size/shape feels less like a man bag to me. It only just arrived but looks lovely, I'm very happy (especially as it was a steal in the sale) and I'm quite tempted by another in a different colour while they're reduced.

ToSeaInaSieve Wed 07-Jan-15 10:00:08

I bought a similar man bag to use as a nappy bag that I could easily hang on a buggy. It was perfect and I used it as a handbag later too. Man bags often have thicker and nicer leather. You could possibly decorate it a bit by adding a dangly beaded tag or something, but it doesn't need it - that kind of bag would look great with a tea dress because they would balance each other.

0pheliaBalls Sun 11-Jan-15 11:21:17

Girl that's gorgeous and what an incredible bargain! Lots of lovely things on that site actually, the sale prices are incredible. I'm sorely tempted... grin

Tribeca I love Scaramanga, I have a few of their bags. Only thing is I find that after a few months of use the stitching always goes somewhere on them - I usually am able to fix it myself but it's a bit bothersome and I've decided not to buy any more of them.

In the end I went for this - was love at first sight! Really big, unfussy, A PROPER WORKING BUCKLE!, pockets inside and a gorgeous suede interior. Looks really well made too. Just feminine enough to look good with dresses but quite antique looking too - reminds me of a vintage doctor's bag. The model in the photo is carrying the small size for some reason - it's actually a really capacious bag. Very happy smile

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now