Talk

Advanced search

are there rules for dying your hair red?

(15 Posts)
lyspaere Tue 06-Jan-15 23:28:58

like, if your eyes are hazel it won't look right, or if your eyebrows are dark it won't look natural.
how can you tell if it would look natural ?

ToSeaInaSieve Wed 07-Jan-15 10:07:45

How red are you talking? I dye mine from dark brown (with greys) to reddish brown - colours like casting berry red. I think it works for me - I have pale skin, grey eyes and warm skin tone, and my brown hair has a natural reddish tint. However I'd hesitate to go proper pillar-box red as I think that might be a bit overpowering.

It might work less well if you have "cool" colouring but have a look at one of those colour websites like this and that might help.

One thing you could do is get a hair magazine, find a big pic of someone with the hair colour you want, cut the hair out and hold it over your hair and look in a mirror.

Depending on your skin tone, be prepared to increase the blusher! Naturally dark with dyed red hair -and very cool skin -and blusher is a must

lyspaere Wed 07-Jan-15 10:42:44

I was wondering if I could pull off this shade of red here

and my natural colouring is like .............. very hard to find a photo on the internet because any sleb with my colour hair instantly makes it darker or lighter.

lyspaere Wed 07-Jan-15 10:49:16

I think my colouring is warm not cool. My foundations look more yellow than pink for example

ToSeaInaSieve Wed 07-Jan-15 10:53:51

That colour is lovely and it sounds like it would suit you.

You could get a hairdresser to do it initially to help you choose the right shade? Or experiment at home by colouring a strand of hair that's normally covered by other hair and see how it takes.

One thing to note if you haven't been red before... It's quite high maintenance and needs topped up regularly, and you should also use proper shampoo and conditioners for dyed red hair too.

lyspaere Wed 07-Jan-15 11:15:25

Thanks!

harder than going fairer dyt?

Wotsitsareafterme Wed 07-Jan-15 11:18:06

Marking place as I fancy red hair too grin

I think so -reds are funny, they're the hardest to keep at the right shade and fade easily, but they're also a bugger to get rid of when you are done. I love them though. I'd probably find out what colour your salon uses on it and buy some for top ups in between visits. Mine gets redyed every three weeks, roots every second time but it's a very strong red so harder work.

confused79 Wed 07-Jan-15 12:06:35

I think it's more skin tone than anything, so if you're cool tone then you'd go for more the bluey reds (think Rihanna red as an example). If you're warm skin tone then you'd go more for Orange / coral red.

confused79 Wed 07-Jan-15 12:08:30

Oh and make sure it's something you absolutely want to do. Red is a nightmare to get out, even the semi permanents, it tends to shine through any hair dye you put on top.

PetraDelphiki Wed 07-Jan-15 12:09:16

And the bathroom look like a slaughterhouse when you are rinsing....

Redcherries Wed 07-Jan-15 12:36:59

I'm a natural red head but dye mine a very vivid deep red currently. To maintain the colour and not look washed out I have the hairdresser cover roots once a month in a semi then I dye over the lot once a week using a temp colour, this stays on for over 6 hours to get and deep saturation as possible.

Generally looks like a blood bath in the shower when i wash my hair but it is the key to keeping a good deep colour and avoiding the slightly washed out reds you sometimes see.

MimiSunshine Wed 07-Jan-15 14:23:18

I have been a similar copper red to the images in your link. I took a picture of Ashley Simpson when she had red coppery hair to the hair dresser as i was having quite a big colour change.
I loved it but it was very bright, I then topped up the colour myself with L’Oreal 6.46 Natural Light Copper Red, I would say red can work for most people but if you want it to look natural then you need to stay one shade away from your natural hair colour otherwise don’t worry too much and go for it.

After you have dyed it, invest in lots of dry shampoo, try to hold off washing it straight after its first done for as long as you can bear as a lot will wash out straight away.
After that train your hair to only need washing a couple of times a week otherwise you will be re-dying it every weekend. as others have said it fades quickly.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now