Talk

Advanced search

Are beauty boxes really worth it?

(16 Posts)
myotherusernameiswittyandgreat Tue 06-Jan-15 22:04:44

I've been thinking about subscribing to either glossybox or birchbox but I'm wondering if they are worth it?

If you have one which would you recommend?

iklboo Tue 06-Jan-15 22:14:44

I get Glossybox. I really like it. You can get some really good stuff - sometimes you get full size versions of stuff. Anything I don't really like I pass on to MIL (so I'm golden drawers giving her posh toiletries & make up) smile.

trappedinsuburbia Wed 07-Jan-15 14:21:41

I had never heard of these, visited glossybox site and signed up!! A small treat every month.

iklboo Wed 07-Jan-15 17:33:55

I pathetically look forward to my Glossybox arriving. It's due weekend / early next week.

squoosh Wed 07-Jan-15 17:41:35

I think the best part is the excitement of opening them, like having a mini Christmas morning every month. The products can be hit and miss though so on balance it's a 'Nay' from me.

I have my little box its been good so far for me

NormHonal Wed 07-Jan-15 18:37:00

I get Birchbox and love it, have had some nice products, especially the nail polishes.

It can be hit-and-miss, and doesn't exactly represent value-for-money, although I did somehow "earn" enough points for some free full-sized products via their online shop, which was good.

Agree it's about the anticipation/box-opening. It's a nice little treat, and great if you travel, to have some lovely small toiletries to use.

iklboo Wed 07-Jan-15 19:35:05

If you review the products with Glossybox each month (v short questionnaire) you earn points for each product. 1000 gets you a free box (about 3 free a year).

queenbrunhilda Wed 07-Jan-15 19:40:25

Alternatively you could just look out for stuff on a non-subscription basis, including the Latest in Beauty collections. Means you only pay for the ones that look interesting from your standpoint. Have had some great stuff - also a good source of little presents for teens.

Nerf Wed 07-Jan-15 19:42:57

Birchbox is fantastic, really pretty packaging and lovely products

magichandles Wed 07-Jan-15 19:44:31

Have Glossybox pulled their socks up recently? I subscribed a couple of years back but it got a bit rubbish, so I stopped.

I'm currently subscribed to My Little Box and I do like it, but would prefer less of the random crap and more beauty stuff.

chipsandpeas Wed 07-Jan-15 19:47:05

i get glossybox and birchbox and love both of them, cant think of a single product ive gotten that i didnt like
saying that getting a bit fed up with the nail varnishes tho

EhricLovesTheBhrothers Wed 07-Jan-15 20:01:25

My friend bought me three glossy boxes for my birthday, they were a lovely treat but I wouldn't pay for them as about 1/3 of the stuff in there I gave away, nasty nail varnishes (I only really like red) and BB cream that was the wrong shade, some hand cream that smelled weird like red bull but most of the stuff was nice.

Marylou2 Wed 07-Jan-15 20:49:25

I get My Little Box.They are very cute and like getting a present each month.

CrispyCrochet Wed 07-Jan-15 20:53:16

A couple years ago I tried a few & tbh found them a bit rubbish.

Storing testers of stuff is awkward & I just found them cluttering up my make up bag. I think it's a fun idea & the first few are great but after the novelty wears off. Nah.

Trills Wed 07-Jan-15 21:07:44

They're only "worth it" if you value the surprise and fun aspect.

I would get better value by just buying things that I actually want.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now