Talk

Advanced search

How to cover arms with this dress

(17 Posts)
MrsPeacockDidIt Mon 05-Jan-15 22:32:32

I've bought this dress to wear but want something to cover my arms if it's slightly chilly or in the summer.

I can't think what style would work. A bolero shrug is too fitted. A kimono style seems to loose. A wrap doesn't seem right style wise. Is there something else I'm not thinking off or shall I just embrace the goose bumps?

chemistc Mon 05-Jan-15 22:43:35

Hmmm waterfall jersey or is the fabric to delicate? The only other thing I can think of is a long sleeve t-shirt underneath. TBH I dont think either of these suggestions are that great. confused

MrsPeacockDidIt Mon 05-Jan-15 22:49:12

It's silk Chem so I think jersey would be too heavy.

I fell in love with the dress and didn't think about what I could wear with it and now I'm stuck grin

chemistc Mon 05-Jan-15 23:02:01

Thought it might be. Lightweight leather jacket in a pale colour?

Greengardenpixie Mon 05-Jan-15 23:06:50

Personally, i would wear a fine knit longline boyfriend cardigan. It could be light and silky and floaty with side vents.

burnishedsilver Mon 05-Jan-15 23:31:53

I'd wear something long sleeved under the dress rather than over it.

RojaGato Mon 05-Jan-15 23:45:04

Agree with burnished silver, maybe something like a fine mesh, delicate lace or silk jersey top.

cardamomginger Tue 06-Jan-15 00:18:25

It's lovely! Where's it from?

MrsPeacockDidIt Tue 06-Jan-15 06:30:45

Thanks all. I will definitely wear something underneath for a night out but for I want to wear it to a wedding too and think under sleeved may be a bit too casual. I'll try and find something as suggested above.

The dress is from All Saints but out of stock now, I think I got the last size 12 they had which was good timing. I saw it on Lucy Lui during an episode of elementary and used Worn on TV to find it.

MrsPeacockDidIt Tue 06-Jan-15 06:31:51

Oh and thanks Chem a leather biker jacket I already have for causal nights outs and will look good I think.

cardamomginger Tue 06-Jan-15 09:05:03

Well done! Really lovely!

hellsbellsmelons Tue 06-Jan-15 09:33:40

Something like THIS
Lovely and fluffy and comfy and warm!

Yes to a biker jacket.
I'd also wear something like that dressed down with a cropped denim jacket in the summer.
Or to dress it up when it's too warm for a leather, maybe a fabric biker?

This one is nice but it comes up v big.

RojaGato Wed 07-Jan-15 18:20:41

Had a thought earlier...I know you said you thought a kimono seemed too loose, but how about a kimono belted with an obi style wrap belt to alter the silhouette?

The print on the dress is quite japanese in a abstract way, and a silk kimono could be lovely for a wedding.

Baukjen have nice belts here
With a plain kimono picking up one of the colours of the dress like this and obi picking up one of the other colours, it could look really stunning. (say dark blue kimono and black belt, or light grey kimono and blue obi).

SinglePringle Wed 07-Jan-15 18:29:42

Agree a biker jacket. Dark now, lighter in summer (if it's needed).

Sorry but no no to the fluffy cardigan. It would kill it.

MrsPeacockDidIt Wed 07-Jan-15 22:18:54

Ladies, some fabulous ideas here thank you.

I really like the cropped denim jacket idea, I even have one but because its not hanging up in my wardrobe I didn't even think about it.

I'm going to check out the coast jacket, and a bargain in the sale too.

I LOVE the obi belt idea. I fear the dress might be a tad too short (even on a shortie like me) to carry it off but nothing ventured.

I'm also googling fine knit options and will try some various shapes out.

I got some bargainous metallic silver ankle boots in the next sale at the weekend which I can't wait to wear it with for a night out.

RojaGato Wed 07-Jan-15 23:14:50

Mrs PeacockDidIt

The combo I do a similar thing with is a h &m breton stripe lycra t-shirt dress, hakei palm print kimono kimono and navy leather bauken obi belt. The belt does make the skirt a bit too short for me...so I wear it with a pretty slip underneath- like this but my one is white and grey lace. It just peeps out the bottom, but the scalloping round the bottom adds that extra inch or two that makes it decent, especially as it is a bit tighter than the dress, so with the slip, the dress and and the kimono the sape at the bottom is a bit like the shape of the petals of a fuschia.

What about something like [[ uk.intimissimi.com/product/intarsi-leggeri-lace-and-fringe-baby-doll/160199.uts?refineByCategoryId=5322 this?]] The fringing could move really well alongside the silk.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now