Talk

Advanced search

Anyone sell through eBay?

(14 Posts)
3WiseMenOr1WiseWoman Mon 05-Jan-15 19:22:59

Not sure if I'm being scammed... Or just a newbie seller messed up.

So I buy lots of clothes through eBay. Nothing like this has happened before

Bought a dress a couple of days ago. Payed through PayPal.

Payment was pending/unclaimed - the seller did not accept payment.

Seller asked me to (all via eBay messaging):
Cancel transaction
Confirm my address (which I did)
That he/she wanted to send an invoice via PayPal
Has asked that I txt my PayPal email address

I thought that sellers had all this info via eBay - what would they want/could they do with this info?

Scam or confused seller.

MrsVetinari Mon 05-Jan-15 19:31:38

Unless it's a VERY confused seller it definitely sounds like a scam - if you cancelled the transaction and paid a 'random' invoice through Paypal they could get away with not sending anything and keeping the money, as you'd have no record of being owed an item on EBay.

3WiseMenOr1WiseWoman Mon 05-Jan-15 20:02:05

That's what I thought. But he/she wanted my PayPal email address. Unless he/she wanted to pay me money what would he/she want it for?

I've sent a message via eBay saying I won't take the payment transaction off eBay and onto PayPal direct and if they need to cancel sale so be it.

Shame the dress was lovely...

peckforton Mon 05-Jan-15 21:53:46

The only problem I had was when I forgot to update my card details on paypal and the buyer couldn't get the payment, but as I remember I updated them and that sorted it.

pinkfrocks Mon 05-Jan-15 22:00:06

Basically if you send money outside of the Ebay transaction you are not covered for fraud or non- appearance of goods.

People tend to ask for payment this way to avoid Ebay selling fees.

They could also possibly want to try to access your Paypal account to take money from it - if they could hack your password.

I'd report it to Ebay promptly and not correspond with the seller.

Did you check their feedback before you won the auction?

3WiseMenOr1WiseWoman Mon 05-Jan-15 23:04:19

I received a message from seller saying there was a 'technical glitch' and that eBay had instructed them to use PayPal off site (ie not through eBay)

<scratches menopausal whiskery chin>

They also said they'd cancelled sale and would run it through BIN.

Pink - they were a Dec '14 joiner. I'm really bad at not leaving feedback for sellers. I wouldn't even think to check someone's.

Again - dam the lure of a quality frock :-)

CointreauVersial Mon 05-Jan-15 23:42:37

Technical glitch?

Only joined eBay in December??

Sorry, warning bells are ringing loud and clear. I smell an enormous rat. There probably is no dress.

Pay through eBay or not at all.

cardamomginger Tue 06-Jan-15 00:17:03

Report to eBay. Very dodgy.

LadyB49 Tue 06-Jan-15 03:02:43

I had a similar situation where payment was mot accepted. The seller was a newbie and had an issue with her PayPal account. She still posted a item which was ten beautiful silk roses. Seller never ever claimed her payment. I even offered go send her a cheque but she didn't provide her address.

3WiseMenOr1WiseWoman Wed 07-Jan-15 15:17:19

Just because I hate an unresolved thread :-)

It went to BIN and someone else bought it.

"let it go, let it go...

Twinklestein Wed 07-Jan-15 17:21:09

And then the seller will have done the same thing with that buyer...

Def a scam, I hope you reported them. Only buy from sellers with 95% + feedback.

LadyB49 Wed 07-Jan-15 18:03:10

I only buy from sellers 99.5%.

pinkfrocks Wed 07-Jan-15 18:56:20

The first thing I check out is their feedback even if I'm spending a fiver.
I want 99.7% or higher and I'd be wary of buying from anyone who had opened an account in the last few days and then started doing odd things.

I once bought an item which I was sure was a fake- it was a high-end cosmetic- and the packaging was only slightly different . You had to look closely. I reported it but Enay wanted a manufacturer's letter saying it was a fake. But- guess what? The seller disappeared and was not available anymore. That is what they do and 2 days later they can open another account in a new name and no one's any wiser.

This may well be what your seller did- no selling history is a big no-no.

3WiseMenOr1WiseWoman Wed 07-Jan-15 19:28:21

Selling history

So I've got loads of clothes I'd like to sell on. If I want to sell, this means I've got no selling history.

Would you look at how long I've been registered for then?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now