Talk

Advanced search

Cleansing and Just Removing Make-up?

(4 Posts)
JudgeJudyKicksAss Mon 05-Jan-15 10:24:39

What's the difference between the two?

I'm following on from another thread where the poster used baby wipes to remove make-up and was advised this wasn't actual cleansing.

Also, what's the difference between a cleansing lotion and micellar water?

I usually cleanse (no toner) and moisturise before bed/morning. I've bought some micellar water to try and cleansed with my usual brand, then used the water and my skin felt dry and tight (I'm prone to eczema on my face so this was not good!) but all was well when I used my moisturiser and this morning there is no lasting damage.

Do you use micellar water as a first cleanse? Then cleansing lotion?

Thanks for any advice.

LordEmsworth Mon 05-Jan-15 10:49:20

Well - let's start by assuming you don't wear make up. You would presumably still clean your face befire getting in to bed... As well as external dirt and grime, you're removing sweat, dead skin, impurities etc. That means your moisturiser can sink in to your skin better, as well.

Now think about having make up on. When you take it off, is the cleaner you're using going to take up make up and cleanse your skin at the same time? Probably not - hence double cleansing. Especially if you're using baby wipes...

You can either use a make up remover plus cleanser, or use a single cleanser but use it twice. Micellar water is I think meant to take make up off so that one first, then a "proper" cleanse.

JudgeJudyKicksAss Mon 05-Jan-15 11:02:44

Thank you LordEmsworth, that has cleared my confusion.

Cleansing routines have moved on/improved from when I first "learned" to look after my skin, and I'm not in the loop anymore, looks like I have a lot to catch up on...

purpleapple1234 Mon 05-Jan-15 11:58:24

Micellar water has micelles dissolved in water. These micelles dissolve dirt. From a chemistry point of view that is exactly how soap works as well. But micellar waters claim to be free from soap so they must contain much more gentle chemicals to make the micelles. Anyway I think that they are great. I remove make up with coconut oil and then use micellar water to remove traces of make up and coconut oil. Basically I use micellar water as an old-fashioned toner. I have dry skin so this combination works well.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now