Talk

Advanced search

Roller skates

(9 Posts)
Moonbow Sun 04-Jan-15 22:20:48

We have a new skating arena which has just opened in our town and I would love to skate again (not done it since 1985!) I obviously have no clue about skates these days, so was wondering if anyone could recommend some. I like the retro looking kind (not blades!)

FATEdestiny Sun 04-Jan-15 22:33:45

My children rave about [https://www.skatehut.co.uk/brands/rookie/rookie_canvas_quad_rollerskates_black.htm this sort of rollerskates]]. They are quite retro with a converse-look/

FATEdestiny Sun 04-Jan-15 22:34:14

this sort of rollerskates

Moonbow Sun 04-Jan-15 22:49:58

Thank you FATEdestiny! That's a great site and I love those skates ~ just the kind of thing I was looking for smile

CheersMedea Mon 05-Jan-15 12:27:03

I'd be cautious about buying canvas skates without seeing them first - you really need pretty firm ankle support for any kind of skating.

They do look cool but not sure they are ideal from a health and safety point of view. Would depend on how whether the canvas is just an exterior "look" rather than just pure canvas ankle support.

Nearasdammit Mon 05-Jan-15 12:30:20

I had Rookie Retro red/blue striped ones when I flirted briefly with learning to skate a couple of years ago.

The skates were comfortable but the constant falling over wasn't.

What size are you?

imip Mon 05-Jan-15 17:44:19

You need rio roller skates here

ThePortlyPinUp Tue 06-Jan-15 18:31:20

I recieved a pair of these white faux leather ones for Christmas which looked the part but I found it easier to skate in these so have put the others on ebay. DD1 really loves her white ones though, I think it's personal preference.

0ryx Wed 07-Jan-15 20:36:43

Speaking as a skater, Rio Rollers and their counterparts are god awful!
Search for second hand Riedell, Antik, Sure Grip or Moxie skates on eBay.
Stiff ankle support is not strictly required for anyone over toddler age. I have seen high ankle skates result in more broken legs!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now