Talk

Advanced search

Hair brush recommendations for curly dry hair

(17 Posts)
TeaAddict235 Fri 02-Jan-15 20:47:43

My hair is very curly, dry and prone to knots, with flyaway wispy bits on the edges.
Can someone recommended a brush that will help to minimise those points?

Equally if you have dry curly hair do you brush more than comb it or vice versa?

Pixa Fri 02-Jan-15 20:50:07

I have mega curly hair. Combing and the curly girl method has really helped. I try not to brush.

Coconut oil and shampoos without sulphates have been a life saviour too.

I have very thick, curly hair and every hairdresser has commented on how thick and curly it is, but it genuinely is so much better now.

Skinheadmermaid Fri 02-Jan-15 21:13:02

You shouldn't brush curly hair.
I haven't owned a hair brush for about 10 years.
I just comb my fingers through it when is got conditioner on it in the shower.

MyFirstName Fri 02-Jan-15 21:18:35

Do Not Brush It. That is all.

Get this. Read.

I do not own a brush. Have not brushed my hair since about 1987.

www.amazon.co.uk/Curly-Girl-Handbook-Lorraine-Massey/dp/076115678X

museumum Fri 02-Jan-15 21:20:51

I don't brush or comb. Ever.
I run my fingers through with conditioner in the shower then squeeze dry (no rubbing) and it doesn't tangle.

banburycake Fri 02-Jan-15 21:24:42

No no no no no. Do not brush. I run my fingers through my very curly hair whilst it's being conditioned.
The best thing I ever did was bin the brush grin

Superherosidekick Sat 03-Jan-15 07:56:13

Do.not.brush
And I also recommend getting the curly girl book.

Lottapianos Sat 03-Jan-15 08:07:20

No brushing, ever. You cannot brush curly hair. Fingers only, or a gentle combing when its wet and soaked in conditioner

Iggly Sat 03-Jan-15 08:12:36

A comb.

And use conditioners and shampoos without silicones in - these dry out your hair over time. Even stuff for curly hair e.g frizz ease has them in. Best stuff has been the body shop rainforest range.

Andcake Sat 03-Jan-15 09:04:54

Another who doesn't brush curly hair. Just untangle everyday when you use conditioner.

WhoKnowsWhereTheMistletoes Sat 03-Jan-15 09:08:25

I untangle every day with my fingers, wash it about twice a week and comb it through in the shower with conditioner on, fingers only in between.

Bartlebee Sat 03-Jan-15 14:31:41

The only time I ever brush my curly hair is to frighten my husband with an impression of Hagrid.

I comb it with a wide toothed comb when it is wet, that is all.

poisonedbypen Sat 03-Jan-15 14:35:46

Haven't brushed my hair since I was 15 (50 now) occasionally comb conditioner through it, but mostly use fingers.

ForSaleChesterDraws Sat 03-Jan-15 14:42:01

I don't use a brush either. Finger detangling when hair loaded with conditioner. That's it.

Trills Sat 03-Jan-15 14:56:27

If I could say one sentence to my 13 year old self it would be "you don't have to brush your hair".

That probably sums up how I feel about rushing curly hair.

Comb when wet. Put product on (pretty much anything will do). Don't brush or comb once dry.

Maplessglobe Sat 03-Jan-15 15:06:09

I used CG. I gave it a good go for 6 months. My wavy/curly hair looked greasy and dank.
I wish it worked on me sad

PulpsNotFiction Sat 03-Jan-15 16:59:22

Styling wise, GHD do a really good barrel brush if you want to blow dry your curly hair so it's big bouncy curls rather than frizzy. It takes some doing though. I have a babyliss big hair too which has transformed my hair. I agree though, I don't bush it if I'm just letting it air dry, just use sulphate free shampoo and conditioner and some macadamia oil.

I've not tried the curly girl method yet, I'm not brave enough to go shampoo free.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now