Talk

Advanced search

What do you use to style your short hair?

(18 Posts)
wineoclockthanks Fri 02-Jan-15 17:04:51

My hair is finally growing back after chemo last year. It's now about 6cm long and very fine (like baby hair)

I've been stealing DS1's hair gel to try and style it but it seems very harsh and dries it out If you have short hair, any recommendations please?

Thanks

Just a bit of wax.

ProfessorPickles Fri 02-Jan-15 17:10:52

I use loreal tecni art wax which j find is good even in small amounts, I do then have to fix the style with hair spray.
Their hair spray is also brill and you don't need too much. Combined they have a strong fix but doesn't look too heavy!

hazeyjane Fri 02-Jan-15 17:13:39

I either use leave in conditioner, or serum. I find wax makes my hair a bit claggy. This might work better on fine wispy hair.

TongueBiter Fri 02-Jan-15 17:14:28

I seem to have a pot of every wax, gel, gum, putty, spray available - and still haven't found one that lasts more than a hour or so.

I think VO5 has been best so far, and someone recommended BedHead to me but I haven't tried it yet.

Georgina1975 Fri 02-Jan-15 17:42:08

I have had short hair on and off for 25 years - it is fine too.

The stuff I am using at the moment is the best by far.

L'oreal tech art next day hair when wet, followed by L'oreL professional hair dust when dry (used sparingly).

LordEmsworth Fri 02-Jan-15 18:54:47

I use mousse - Boots own brand - and it really makes a difference to the staying power of the products on top.

Depending on my mood/look I use one of Aveda Pure Abundance powder (most often) - which basically makes it all tousled & big - or Bumble & Bumble Sumotech, which is a pomadey kind of texture and gives a bit more oomph.

TongueBiter Fri 02-Jan-15 18:59:31

Georgina - which tecni product do you use first? And where do you get it from?

TongueBiter Fri 02-Jan-15 19:00:43

Sorry - ignore my first question now I've read your post properly!

LadyB49 Fri 02-Jan-15 19:46:28

Rub strong gel into to wet hair. Tousle and twist hair when drying with head upside down. Rub more gel through dry hair to roughly style. Spray with elnet, moving hair so spray also gets to the roots. This lasts all day for me.

HappyJustToBe Fri 02-Jan-15 19:51:45

I have fine, short hair and use Schwarzkopf got2b POWDER'ful which is, according to the tub, a volumizing (their z, not mine!) styling powder. I find it lasts all day and has good hold to it without being too much for my fine hair. Good luck!

Chiggers Fri 02-Jan-15 21:27:34

I 2nd Schwarzkopf got2b powder'ful AND/OR their 'Glued' blast-freezing spray (a yellow aerosol with a silver nozzle). DS has short fine hair and the freeze spray allows him to spike his hair in any way and keep its shape for hours. I usually slick his hair back or spike it and he comes home from school with his hair in the same style. This is after his friends ruffling his hair throughout the day when he plays football.

There's also got2b spiking glue in a tube. Apparently it's fantastic as well, but I don't know as I haven't tried that one yet. I'd definitely recommend the freeze spray though, and those products can be bought in most major retailers such as Tesco/Asda etc. I would go to Superdrug for them as they have a good range in my local store.

HTH

MrsPeacockDidIt Fri 02-Jan-15 21:34:08

Bumble and bumble texture creme. It's expensive but a little goes a long way. here

Middleagedmotheroftwo Fri 02-Jan-15 21:41:26

I use bog standard Brylcreamshock
It's cheap, and really good.

FrancesHB Fri 02-Jan-15 23:06:02

VO5 extreme style rework putty. Fab stuff. http://www.lloydspharmacy.com/en/alberto-vo5-extreme-style-texture-rework-putty-150ml-11903?utm_source=Google&utm_medium=Product&utm_campaign=Product?gclid=CjwKEAiAoJmlBRCxjKeizPHVs1ESJAC6cxjUHFBgoxndx_1CnftprxyqdT1bdCxRY1fA_2qUecH38xoC4Hrw_wcB

FrancesHB Fri 02-Jan-15 23:06:47

Oops sorry.
rework putty

LilMissSunshine9 Fri 02-Jan-15 23:32:10

I have fine hair and find it doesn't take heavy products very well. I use L'oreal stuff it seems to like it

RedButtonhole Fri 02-Jan-15 23:41:54

Another vote for the Schwarzkopf got2be powder. Keeps my hair in place and gives it volume withoyt it looking like there is actually any product in it.

I found it easy to use as well, I've had super long hair my whole life and never used product on it, I got it all chopped in October and this was very easy to get used to using, not like gel or spray where your hair goes solid and yukky if you put too much on.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now