Talk

Advanced search

Help me find not hideous but comfortable work shoes?

(27 Posts)
Glitterkitten24 Thu 01-Jan-15 23:44:57

Hello,
I've recently got a new job- think manager of a warehouse, job involves tramping up and down ladders, walking quickly for 8+ hours per day.

I previously worked in an office, so my work wardrobe tends to be a couple of suits, and some dresses I wear with I.e a black blazer- so relatively smart dress code.

The first shoes I bought when I started the job were m&s foot glove ballet pump types- they are now stretched to the point they are giving my feet no support, and my hip is getting sore as I'm obviously compensating to keep them on.

My second pair from m&s again have a tiny heel which I thought would be ok, but are not wearable for 8 hours hard graft.

Clarks is drawing a blank for me.

I don't really have the style to pull off brogues although I love them on other people.

So what j need is some flatish, black shoes which are sensible and supportive, but not too hideous or 'orthopaedic' looking. Easy, yes?

Does anyone have any suggestions on where I might try?

Behooven Thu 01-Jan-15 23:48:48

I've got a similar type of job so gave up on anything with a heel.

I rely on Gabor, super comfy. Most recent pair is these Garda style.

RaisingSteam Thu 01-Jan-15 23:58:35

Seriously are you not supposed to be wearing safety shoes in a warehouse? I would think if you are getting sore feet it's verging on an occupational health issue and you should wear appropriate shoes even if they look "orthopaedic".

A good pair of black bootcut trousers can be quite forgiving of brogue type shoes that would look clumpy with skirts. You'll get taken more seriously if you look like you're dressed for the job rather than tripping around in heels and ballet pumps.

RaisingSteam Fri 02-Jan-15 00:02:04

Or not even bootcut trousers, sorry I will probably crash the S&B board mentioning them.

Glitterkitten24 Fri 02-Jan-15 00:05:59

I know raising, safety shoes sound like they would be the answer, but company rules are 'sturdy footwear' supplied by us, no trainers etc.
I've possibly overstated the 'heels' I wore- I meant just not completely flats, think like Mary janes or similar.

The problem is that although I'm primarily in the warehouse, I have lots of client meetings and have to be front of house at least once per day, so need to also look respectable if you see what I mean.

I've been looking online and brogues do look like a sensible solution- I think they look great on others but they just aren't very my style- maybe I need to go try some on.

Thanks for the link behooven - I have never heard of that retailer but it turns out there is a shop not too far from me- they definitely look on the right track!

Glitterkitten24 Fri 02-Jan-15 00:06:40

Lol raising you will be banished! shock boot cuts! grin

skildpadden Fri 02-Jan-15 00:09:26

Fitflop boots.
So comfortable they have ruinwd me for wearing other shoes.

RaisingSteam Fri 02-Jan-15 00:12:39

It's OK I work in construction so have to do my client meetings in site boots!

It's really hard to look smart-feminine in a job where practicality is needed. Good luck with the new job grin

Glitterkitten24 Fri 02-Jan-15 00:20:03

Ah you definately know what I'm talking about raising - I think my expectations of how hard the job would be on my body (bruises, everywhere) but particularly my feet, were unrealistic, time to get something fit for the job!

Thanks for your well wishes, I'm loving the job even if I will have to pay a fortune for ugly shoes! grin

Glitterkitten24 Fri 02-Jan-15 00:20:29

Thanks skild I'll check those out!

peasandlove Fri 02-Jan-15 02:02:31

I wear brogues when I have to be on my feet all day. I even wear them with dresses. Just try them on. I got a pair off ASOS for quite cheap and they have lasted well and are comfy.

peasandlove Fri 02-Jan-15 02:06:46

something like this asos

EustaciaBenson Fri 02-Jan-15 02:46:20

Go try some brogues on, I have terrible problems with me feet and have realised I need more sensible shoes. I was convinced that brogues would look terrible on me but I was suprised how much I like them, shop around and try some on. Also try googling en brogue blog as she has some fantastic flat shoes on there. The advantage of brogues over ballet flats is that your feet are securely laced up in them so they arent having to work overtime keeping your feet in the shoes

gonegrey56 Fri 02-Jan-15 06:01:33

Fitflop also do shoes , including some flat pumps that are quite stylish (really!) . Look at the website
Www.fitflop.co.uk at the ballerina pumps and Mary janes . So comfortable and apparently good for leg muscles .

Dr Martens? I have a pair of slip ons and a pair of lace ups which have been getting worn daily for about a year. Other option for me would be Skechers

skildpadden Fri 02-Jan-15 11:04:26

i'm very tempted by these. I wonder if they'd be as comfortable as fitflop boots

i just had a look on the fitflop site and i know it's a sale now but their boots aren't making me weak at the knees right now.

I could never wear docs. I'd have to set my alarm ten minutes earlier for all that lacing up. And then, what happens if you want to curl your feet up under you on the sofa but then you remember you left your phone in your car. couldn't cope with docs at all.

specialsubject Fri 02-Jan-15 11:10:25

absolute flats are really bad for feet, as bad as fugly high heels. Ballet pumps (as you now know) are only for those that sit and pout. Even ballerinas wear shoes with more support. Shame on your managers for not spotting that you were wearing dangerous footwear.

you are in a warehouse so you need protection for soles and toes. You are climbing ladders so you need something that will stay on and not slip. These criteria rule out most women's shoes. Time to forget 'style'.

what do your male colleagues wear? Do the same.

if it really bothers you, keep a change of shoes for meetings.

I have slip on docs and brogue style ones. Not the mega lace ups

Chewbecca Fri 02-Jan-15 11:36:25

What are you wearing, clothes-wise?

If trousers I would go for subtle boots.

Agree with pp that Gabor shoes are v v comfy & supportive.

Petal02 Fri 02-Jan-15 11:48:33

I'm loving the Fit Flop ballerinas and Mary Janes. They look fab.

Petal02 Fri 02-Jan-15 11:49:17

And the Asos brogues!

Lagoonablue Fri 02-Jan-15 12:05:50

Seriously I would be wearing Docs. They do more than boots you know. Sooooo comfy and will protect your feet.

SeasonsEatings Fri 02-Jan-15 12:08:53

Fitflop boots are great but don't age well. Have you looked at Hotters?

TSSDNCOP Fri 02-Jan-15 12:21:40

Have a look at Geoxx OP. They are a little pricey, but as someone who works in a similar environment you can spend more £££'s trying to find cheaper to do the job, than simply buying a more expensive pair.

skildpadden Fri 02-Jan-15 12:55:59

I always feel like I'm going to fall over backwards in totally flat shoes. I like a bit of elevation. One inch perfect.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now