Talk

Advanced search

Alternative to Babyliss Big Hair for holidays/travelling?

(7 Posts)
Petal02 Thu 01-Jan-15 16:57:32

Like many other posters, I would re-enter a burning building to save my BBH.

However the BBH is rather bulky and not the easiest item to travel with, and/or pop into my gym bag.

We're going abroad in March, and I was hoping I could manage without BBH for a week, but after attempting to blow dry my hair this morning without BBH, I realised that my own blow drying technique is too poor to manage my layers.

I realise there isn't a travel size BBH, but wonder if a hot air styling brush (ie a brush that blows out hot air but doesn't rotate) might be a suitable 'second best' if I need something more portable to take on holiday?

Something like this? Nice price and looks small-ish.

www.argos.co.uk/static/Product/partNumber/4439206.htm#pdpFullProductInformation

I think I could manage to rotate a hot brush if I wasn't trying to hold a hair dryer at the same time, if that makes sense. I know it probably wouldn't be quite as effective as BBH but it might be a half-way house while travelling?

FrugalFashionista Thu 01-Jan-15 17:11:32

I always travel with a nonrotating hot air styling brush. In fact I have one always in my cabin trolley and a second US voltage one too (they are very cheap there). Just packing my bag wink

Petal02 Thu 01-Jan-15 17:16:57

Frugal do you find that a hot air styling brush is an ok-ish substitute for BBH when you're on your hols?

FrugalFashionista Thu 01-Jan-15 17:40:35

I have chin-lenght fairly fast-drying hair, like Anna Wintour but a fraction longer. I have two non-rotating euro voltage brushes, one of them (an old Braun) is much better than the other. The brush is so small that I can even fit it in a backpack for a weekend trip. I blow my hair upside down for volume and then finish the lengths by wrapping them around the nonrotating brush for some time until the curl sets. This makes my hair glossier and more finished too. So I guess you should just buy one before the trip and see whether the results are good enough - people have different barrel size, spike length and heat preferences. If you decide to buy one for a trip, remember to take an adapter, voltages and plug types vary depending on where you are going.

Petal02 Thu 01-Jan-15 21:05:53

I'll be heading to Boots tomorrow to see what I can find!

Petal02 Fri 02-Jan-15 09:05:17

I've just seen a Remington Hot Air Styler, it had several different attachments (which obviously means the brush end comes apart from the handle, which reduces the length for packing/travel purposes) and a travel pouch.

I'll report back!

Petal02 Sat 03-Jan-15 12:55:07

www.boots.com/en/Remington-AS7051-Volume-and-Curl-Airstyler_1320745/

Update: I ended up buying the Remington hot air brush, it comes apart and has a travel pouch, so that's great for gym and holidays. The brush part doesn't spin, but even on my first practice session it did a really good job of smoothing my layers, so I'm really pleased.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now