Talk

Advanced search

Anyone else with North Face Arctic Parka?

(19 Posts)
werenotreallyhere Thu 01-Jan-15 14:04:45

I got one for xmas but it's huge! I've got medium but it just looks humongous on me, do they deflate? I can't decide whether to be bothered to send it back (it was off the internet), the small may be too small!

alpacasosoftsnowgentlyfalling Thu 01-Jan-15 16:06:23

What size are you ?
Im a tall size 12 and the medium fits me perfectly.
It is very warm and I often feel I can move my arms that well!

I have a Merrell for normal cold winter , down to -2c and my Northface for seriously cold -2 to -20.

alpacasosoftsnowgentlyfalling Thu 01-Jan-15 16:07:00

cant move my arms !

Pollywallywinkles Thu 01-Jan-15 16:33:33

Mine is a small and I would say that it is slightly on the small side. I was mightily relieved that I didn't buy my usual x-small, otherwise it would have been sent back.

LadyintheRadiator Thu 01-Jan-15 16:41:07

I am a 10/12 and have the small, the medium was just that bit too roomy on my waist and shoulders, drafty would mean cold I think.

I don't tend to wear anything chunky underneath though.

Gumnast2014 Thu 01-Jan-15 16:42:22

Mine is quite big now I have lost weight. Medium size 10 5 7.

Perfect when I was av12-14

werenotreallyhere Thu 01-Jan-15 17:13:53

I'm pretty much spot on a size 12, a bit smaller on top but it's the waist bulging out and making me look pregnant and the hips that seem the baggiest bits. Maybe I should sleep on it to flatten it!

flowery Thu 01-Jan-15 17:32:43

I'm a size 10 and I have a small, which is perfect for me.

Scabetty Thu 01-Jan-15 19:05:01

I am a 12 and bought medium but this was because I wanted to be able to get a fairly thick jumper or fleece underneath.

toptrumps1 Thu 01-Jan-15 19:59:51

Funny, I am a size 10 and have the medium. The small was ok, I felt a bit restricted when I moved my arms, but the main reason I went up to a medium was when it was zipped all the way up, the small felt really tight around my neck and it zipped up too high, like I couldn't zip it all the way and tilt my head down comfortably (if that makes sense)!!

I also figured that for me this was a practical buy rather than a stylish one, and after spending many hours trying on and swapping between both sizes (I dithered A LOT!) the overall difference in look was really minimal. I am quite tall though, so maybe I could carry the little extra bulk in the medium better than someone shorter and the same dress size?

werenotreallyhere Thu 01-Jan-15 20:05:38

Yep, I fancy the big size for big jumper, plus it's an investment so I like the idea I can still wear it if I put on a bit of weight. I think I'll stick with it after all of your advice and hope it does flatten down a bit, I just wish the waist wouldn't stick out a mile. Thank you all!

werenotreallyhere Thu 01-Jan-15 20:06:25

And yep, I'm a bit smaller, 5' 4, so maybe it does suit someone taller better

Rojak Thu 01-Jan-15 22:16:03

I'm 5' 3", size 10 and have the S. Love it - like wearing a duvet.

I don't wear anything bulky under it though

Pollywallywinkles Thu 01-Jan-15 22:24:13

Some interesting comments about the sizing. I'm 5.5 and generally a size 8 (6 in next), and I haven't even thought about trying to get a thick jumper under the small as I don't think I would be able to do the coat up.

If anyone had asked me about sizing recommendations I would have suggested sizing up.

ElizabethHoover Thu 01-Jan-15 22:27:00

i am a busty 12
the medium is perfect

ElizabethHoover Thu 01-Jan-15 22:27:22

you need it tight for it to be warm imo

bonzo77 Thu 01-Jan-15 22:30:10

5'2" size 8-10. Bought the small. It's a very bulky coat, I bought it for performance not good looks. It makes me look huge, but I know it's all snugly feathers not lard, and am smug as a snug bug in a rug when exercising my DSs in the middle of winter. It's on its 4th winter and as good as new.

Platinumpennies Thu 01-Jan-15 22:59:02

No, it will not deflate! Mine is on its fourth
winter. Got a large- but at 5ft 7 and a 12/14 could perhaps have got away with a medium. I think it has a slightly A line shape. I do not feel glam in mine but I do feel warm and love it!!

storynanny2 Sat 07-Feb-15 18:01:05

Just bought myself one after spending years faffing about with cheaper coats that don't do the job! A bargain at a northface outlet for £150! I am so excited that I even hope the cold weather continues for a while.
On MN recommendation I bought the seasalt northstar in the autumn which I also love, waterproof but not very warm.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: