Talk

Advanced search

I need help, serious help

(8 Posts)
Cupoteap Thu 01-Jan-15 09:54:01

Good morning and happy new year!

I need help, my wardrobe is a mess. I have realised that I am in my late 30s and have not really taken any notice of what I wear since I had dc in my early 30s.

I have recently left my (d)h and am obviously in a finding me again phase. hmm

Money is an object, but I do need to start investing in me (confused) and I bloody deserve it. So were do I start? A capsule wardrobe? What the heck do I buy and how to do it on a limited budget?

Help

quietbatperson Thu 01-Jan-15 11:57:50

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

sleepwhenidie Thu 01-Jan-15 12:03:19

Start by trying to identify what kind of style suits you - in terms of colour, cut, vibe.

Go through your entire wardrobe and pick out every item you love/have worn to death. Is there a theme at all? Put theme(s) into a search on Pinterest and create a board of pictures of people dressed in a way that you would like to veer towards, or individual items.

Think about what you need to wear, day to day-how smart it needs to be for example, what do you do, sahm, relaxed workplace or professional environment?

Cupoteap Thu 01-Jan-15 13:21:20

Thanks both.

Work is sorted as in not an emergency, just wear black trousers and tops (mostly from eBay).

I need to find my style. I used to know who I was but now confused

I tended to buy things I like but then they don't go with anything else. I tend to wear jeans with causal tops. I did buy a few maxi dresses in the summer but would really like to know how to buy a few things and mix them up to create loads of outfits.

sleepwhenidie Thu 01-Jan-15 13:33:01

That's perfectly normal after pg, mat leave etc cupof, it's kind of like coming out if baby fog and realising you are in a different world style/fashion/practical requirement wise smile. Have a browse through style blogs and Pinterest to get a feel for what kind of casual look might fit you - rock chick vibe/classic style/bit more hippy/neat tailored type... Base your search on specific items you like or would like to wear, a biker jacket, a cashmere sweater, Chanel style cardi or jacket...or maybe you know some celebs/people who dress in a way you would like to base your look on - pin all those you like on a Pinterest board and you should then be able to identify things that come up repeatedly and what are key elements to prioritise then build everything else around smile

Cupoteap Thu 01-Jan-15 15:31:10

That's a fab idea

happyfeet1 Thu 01-Jan-15 15:56:00

Debenhams, M&S et have personal shoppers that you can book, as far as I know the service is free. Topshop do it too. Go along to one of those. Even if you can only afford one thing you will have had the opportunity to try loads of things on and get style advice so have a better idea of what suits you if you do wish to then shop on Ebay/charity shops.

SilkStalkings Thu 01-Jan-15 19:29:47

Who were you before? Who are your style icons? What are you passionate about (apart from kids)? Who do you want to be?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now