Talk

Advanced search

Is it true? Are flares back in fashion (again!)

(16 Posts)
chicaguapa Wed 31-Dec-14 16:32:12

I've been looking for some new jeans and spotted that a) bootcut jeans seem to be back (though they never really went away but they are more prominent now) and b) flares are on sale again. Both these facts please me greatly as I look dreadful in skinnies, but fab in flares. But before I dive in, I just want to check this is indeed true. shallow follower of fashion

FrugalFashionista Wed 31-Dec-14 17:16:16

Flares are definitely back! Bootcuts in the forecast too, Fendi had them on the runway.

MuttersDarkly Wed 31-Dec-14 17:24:14

Hallelujah.

Skinny cut makes my legs look like carrots.

My jeans are on their last legs, but I haven't been able to find any trousers that weren't tight at the ankle for ... ages.

scarletforya Wed 31-Dec-14 17:27:01

Yay, I love flares!fgrin

FrugalFashionista Wed 31-Dec-14 17:35:58

Substantiating the Fendi claim - their prefall looks like this. The 1970s vibe is going to be around, lots of stylists and bloggers are embracing it right now and that means the rest of us will probably follow too.

mswibble Wed 31-Dec-14 17:38:02

Hurrah for being able to find jeans other than stupid skinnys! I love flares and bootcuts, I think they are the most flattering and comfy cut of jean.

Turquoiseblue Wed 31-Dec-14 17:47:23

Yes they re back! I love this style! Have been dusting off my MIH Marrakech and London styles - asos had some in the sales, and I was lucky enough to score a pair of frame denim ones in the sales todaygrini struggle a bit with footwear in winter with them though. What s everyone wearing with them?

FrugalFashionista Wed 31-Dec-14 18:06:39

Footwear is the most difficult part with wearing flares! The absolute best footwear with flares ime is a funky Hasbeen type sandal with some platform effect but that's a summer option. I like them nearly floor-sweeping (though not hoof-like!) and used to wear them with heeled ankle boots or wedges (only the tips of the shoes showing) but my leather hightops have a hidden platfrom effect and also seem to work well - much comfier! I really like pointy toes with flares too.

CoconutAmericano Wed 31-Dec-14 18:46:55

Has anyone seen any cheap versions out there?

OmnipotentQueenOfTheUniverse Wed 31-Dec-14 19:03:02

Yes I think they are and a big YAY from me too! I always wear flares and it can be very difficult to source them!

Bizarrely the Monsoon ones that have been seeing me through the flare drought have now gone off their list and the only ones online are superexpensive so I guess I need to wait for this to filter through to the high street grin

WhereIsMySantaHat Wed 31-Dec-14 19:37:32

I am so excited about the return of the flare.

I have ordered a pair if mango ones via asos for £22 m.asos.com/mt/www.asos.com/mango/mango-70-s-flare-jean/prod/pgeproduct.aspx?iid=4712199&clr=Blue&SearchQuery=Mango+jeans&un_jtt_v_frompage=0&pge=1&pgesize=50&totalstyle=11

They have a darker pair for £30 too.

I want summer to arrive so I can wear them with swedish hasbeens sandals.

OmnipotentQueenOfTheUniverse Wed 31-Dec-14 19:44:12

Oh yeah yeah yeah shall we do links?

I was looking at these bad boys last night - so many styles! But ££££££££££

here

WhereIsMySantaHat Wed 31-Dec-14 20:39:45

There's some nice ideas on this Blog

dadap Wed 31-Dec-14 20:58:07

Is there an upper age limit. I once read somewhere that if you were wearing them first time round - you shouldn't be wearing them the 2nd time round. Is this still the case? I love flares, too young 1st time round but wore them 2nd time. Mid 40's now -can I have another go?

OmnipotentQueenOfTheUniverse Wed 31-Dec-14 20:59:27

Nope.

Wear whatever you fancy is my credo smile

I've been wearing them continuously since 1991. (Not the same pair!).

chicaguapa Thu 01-Jan-15 17:55:56

This is good news indeed. I will order a pair of flares and bootcuts.

I once read somewhere that if you were wearing them first time round - you shouldn't be wearing them the 2nd time round

I recall flares being in when I was in my teens (b.1972) and I have a pair from around 7 years ago which I didn't wear much so I guess the renaissance didn't really take off then. But the point is that this isn't the second time round and there have been a few revivals of the flare since the 70s.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now