Talk

Advanced search

Bra sizing question

(39 Posts)
imalostcause Wed 31-Dec-14 12:07:23

I was measured at Bravissimo about 3 years ago as a 34f to ff, depending on the bra. At the time I was size 12 to 14.

I've since put on some weight and my bras are really uncomfortable. I can't get to Bravissimo for quite a while and don't trust M&S, who have been measuring me as a 36c for years! I'll have to order online, but don't know what size to get. I got a 36f, but the underwiring is cutting into the side of my breast under my armpit, I think the wiring isn't wide enough for my breasts?

Any ideas what size to try next?

ilovepowerhoop Wed 31-Dec-14 12:15:17

what are your measurements under and over your breasts according to this guide: thebetterbracampaign.blogspot.co.uk/p/fitting-advice.html

imalostcause Wed 31-Dec-14 12:56:17

Thanks smile My measurements are 34 inch below and 42 inch on hanging boobs wink

That would seem to mean a 34ff, which I have been wearing before I put on weight and which seems too tight now?

It could be that you need extra cup space rather than band, if the cup is small it makes the band feel tight. Maybe try a 34 and gg

imalostcause Wed 31-Dec-14 14:21:26

Thanks, will do.

imalostcause Thu 01-Jan-15 18:35:15

I've been to the designer outlet today and found a 34gg bra at M&S which I've now put on. It does feel extremely tight, but the cup size seems right, so maybe I need to try a 36gg?

Hmm, how tight is tight? It could just be new bra syndrome (they stretch, and fast!)

If you wanted to keep the same cup volume it would be a 36G, but you shouldn't need a 36. That said, M&S can run a wee bit on the snug side so you might find a 34GG is perfect in other brands.

LL12 Thu 01-Jan-15 18:46:27

StatisticallyChallenged you are needed on the AIBU board with your bra knowledge.

WowserBowser Thu 01-Jan-15 18:50:24

Well found LL12 !

WowserBowser Thu 01-Jan-15 18:51:37

linky

On my way <charges over to AIBU, cape flying behind her>

WowserBowser Thu 01-Jan-15 19:13:45

grin

imalostcause Thu 01-Jan-15 19:40:05

Extremely tight blush I managed to wear it for half an hour, but then felt like I couldn't breathe and had to change blush I'm now back in a soft pull on crop top, as that's all I have that I can wear at the moment sad Can't believe I've just wasted money on a bra that is still too small sad

TBH, I suspect that's because it's an M&S one, however you really can't buy bras without trying them online (unless you are ordering online and returning) as there is just far too much variation in the sizing. It's like jeans - I'd never pick up a pair of jeans and not try them as there is a huge difference between a 14 in one shop and another.

We have had a LOT of reports of M&S bands running small. TBH, I don't buy bras there at all. I think they are ok for smaller sizes, but they don't scale their bras well so larger sizes are a bit shit.

What sort of shape are your breasts and maybe we can suggest some specifics? Are they fuller on top or bottom, how big is the gap between them in the centre, are the wide or narrow rooted (i.e. do they go round under your armpits?), are they quite high set on your torso or quite low down?

without trying them on!

imalostcause Thu 01-Jan-15 19:57:30

I don't know what shape they are blush They seem to go round under my armpits, and they droop due to breast feeding three babies.

imalostcause Thu 01-Jan-15 19:58:56

I had my very impatient dd with me and very little time, so decided to risk it. I won't be able to return it, will I?

OK, so I'd guess at bottom heavy and relatively wide rooted smile. Have a look at Freya and Fantasie which are quite friendly to wide rooted boobs, as are most Curvy Kates. You might also like Bravissimo Alana (possibly try a 36 in this, it's a tight band), Bravissimo Half cups, bravissimo dotty spot. If you're relatively empty on top then half cups and balconettes are especially good as you don't get emptyness at the top of the cup. And moulded t-shirt bras are generally a bit on the evil side! If you like that style then you could try Cleo Juna and Cleo Maddie which would probably suit your breast shape.

If the tags are still on you can return it - I confess that I frequently give bras a longer try on at home blush

imalostcause Thu 01-Jan-15 20:33:12

Thanks, I'll try returning it smile

Sorry, I've never thought there were different shaped boobs, you get used to your own, don't you?! wink I'll try and measure the gap between and work out what shape they are. I'm on a very low budget at the moment, can't afford new clothes, but just can't bear to wear an uncomfortable bra any longer.

Try looking at the leia lingerie website, their outlet section often has good deals. Debenhams often have Freya and Fantasie well reduced in their sale, and the mycurvesandme website is good for bargains on Cleo/Panache. Brastop.com have a sale on just now, and I've had a few good deals from Amazon of all places!

imalostcause Fri 02-Jan-15 13:31:16

Thanks. I've found a bra on the Debenhams website, the Freya Faye plunge balcony bra

I'll let you know how I get on with it.

I've had a version of that bra before, it's quite comfortable IMO and good for wider roots normally. And cos it's online it's returnable smile

imalostcause Fri 02-Jan-15 14:17:38

Thanks, fingers crossed it fits smile but if not I shall return it.

imalostcause Sat 03-Jan-15 17:03:55

I was able to return the m&s bra smile

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now