Advanced search

Aqueous Cream / Silcock's Base

(4 Posts)
hollyisalovelyname Wed 31-Dec-14 10:59:27

What is the difference between them ?
Are they both moistrisers?
Thanks in advance

Carrie5608 Wed 31-Dec-14 11:28:59

Are you in Ireland by any chance? I don't believe Silcox is available in UK but both I believe are soap substitutes to be used instead of soap.

If it's a moisturiser you want use an ointment as it will sting less or diprobase cream.

This is an extract from the Irish Medical Times . . . General practitioners are unknowingly prescribing aqueous cream as a leave-on emollient in the treatment of atopic eczema. A recently published study in the British Journal of Dermatology found that 88 per cent of doctors who prescribe aqueous cream to eczema patients prescribe it as a leave-on emollient rather than as a skin wash. The product was originally designed as a soap substitute for washing.
The BJD study found aqueous cream is highly aggressive and can cause irritant reactions to the skin when used as a leave-on emollient as it breaks down the skin’s barrier.

hollyisalovelyname Wed 31-Dec-14 13:10:50

Thank you Carrie.
So neither are moisturisers.

OOAOML Wed 31-Dec-14 21:36:25

I was given aqueous cream to use as a light moisturiser as well as a soap substitute. Not heard of the other one. Aqueous cream was ok as moisturiser but I prefer Aveeno.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now