Talk

Advanced search

Properly moisturising shower wash - does it exist?

(64 Posts)
iroblonegen Tue 30-Dec-14 12:32:43

I may be asking for the moon on a stick, but here goes...

When the weather gets really cold, my skin gets really itchy. Body lotion helps but no matter how much it claims to absorb immediately, I still feel sticky after applying it.

So, are there any shower washes (gel/cream/oil) out there which actually DO moisturise, rather than just claiming they do?

Toughasoldboots Tue 30-Dec-14 12:35:14

Loccitane almond oil? Have you tried that?

Dawndonnaagain Tue 30-Dec-14 12:41:04

I have psoriasis and find Soap and Glory clean on me very moisturising.

mausmaus Tue 30-Dec-14 12:42:21

only use soap for pits and bits and keep the shower short and cool.

GooodMythicalMorning Tue 30-Dec-14 12:43:33

I dont like the smell much but yes Soap and Glory works for me too. (Also have psoriasis.)

MatildaTheRedNosedReinCat Tue 30-Dec-14 12:44:49

Emulsifying ointment. Comes in a great big tub and is as cheap as chips. We used to use it on ds as a child with excema. Really good stuff.

FreeButtonBee Tue 30-Dec-14 12:45:01

I use eucerin ato control bath and shower oil on my eczema-y dd. It's great stuff and brill for shaving your legs. I'd try it.

moggle Tue 30-Dec-14 12:46:19

I have a similar problem with itchy dry skin in the winter and find changing to sanex shower gel for sensitive skin helps. Also keeping exfoliated by using the scratchy gloves in the shower. However I always use body lotion on my arms and legs - the green Vaseline brand stuff is the only kind that absorbs properly for me.

TheReluctantCountess Tue 30-Dec-14 12:46:41

Lush do one that I use on my legs in the winter.

OneHandFlapping Tue 30-Dec-14 12:48:21

Hydromol - prescribed by doctors for eczema and other dry skin conditions. I decided to try it after seeing the great improvement in my 90 year old Dad's skin, and I got a giant tub off Amazon for £9. I use it for washing all over, and it does leave my skin moisturised.

TheReluctantCountess Tue 30-Dec-14 12:49:09

Lush body conditioner

OneLittleLady Tue 30-Dec-14 12:53:50

Lush Flying Fox. I really rate it. I have dry, sore itchy and very sensitive skin and this ticks all the boxes for me. Gets rid of the scaly patches i get from eczema when nothing else works, even stuff from the doctors. It's not cheap though, only problem with it

LosBreakingBad Tue 30-Dec-14 13:09:32

I have this problem. I use Aveeno shower and body lotion. They have colloidal oats in, or something like that. They are the only things that have ever worked.
You need to keep soap away from your legs, exfoliate with an oil based scrub and put an oil underneath your body lotion. I use coconut oil.

iroblonegen Tue 30-Dec-14 13:44:23

Many thanks to everyone for your replies. I think I'm going to try the L'Occitane Almond Oil, which gets amazing reviews - thanks to toughasoldboots for mentioning it!

pinkfrocks Tue 30-Dec-14 16:00:34

Yes the almond stuff is lovely but as a cheaper version Sanctuary shower oil isn't bad. However, I find that with such hard water nothing really works IN the shower- need to use body lotion afterwards.

mowglik Tue 30-Dec-14 16:41:22

I use Nivea in shower moisturising lotion, you put it on and wash it off in shower - great stuff

luckygirl322 Tue 30-Dec-14 16:47:35

Elemis Skin Nourishing Shower Cream-it's lovely.

AuditAngel Tue 30-Dec-14 16:48:22

I second L'Occitane. I am devastated that DH didn't put any in my stocking this year fsad

southeastastra Tue 30-Dec-14 17:10:45

yes the elemis one is really softening not cheap though I got in a qvc set

ChoudeBruxelles Tue 30-Dec-14 17:12:21

Aqueous cream.

slug Tue 30-Dec-14 17:37:33

Another vote for the almond oil. I get itchy winter skin and as we'll.

Toughasoldboots Tue 30-Dec-14 17:58:26

I was the same Audit- like proper misery. grin

Boobsofsteel Tue 30-Dec-14 18:05:11

MooGoo body wash is amazing. Cleared up all of our skin conditions in a week.

If you have time for a bath I would recommend an Epsom salt and almond oil scrub and then relaxing in it. Very moisturising.

SquidgyMummy Tue 30-Dec-14 18:08:27

Had never heard of shower oil before this thread. however a quick google found this one cheap(ish)and double the size of Loccitane

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now