Talk

Advanced search

Capsule Wardrobe

(17 Posts)
badbadleroybrown Mon 29-Dec-14 23:33:32

Hello all.

I want to get myself back together this year. I need a complete image overhaul.

Can you put a capsule wardrobe together for me?

I'm 27, size 10 5"4 and work in Sales in a medium size company - occasionally visit customers.

Curvy with hips and bum so prefer dresses/pencil skirts.

Thank you grin x

badbadleroybrown Mon 29-Dec-14 23:35:36

Meant to add - need casual non-work clothes as well, normally wear dark skinny jeans and layered tops. Do I just throw everything out and start again? If I'm honest with myself I only like a very small percent of my wardrobe. Thoughts please x

Just on my way to bed but I like capsule wardrobe threads so will come back tomorrow!

In the meantime, can I recommend Whistles tube skirts as good for both work and casual? smile

Twittwooo Mon 29-Dec-14 23:53:05

Ooh, will keep track of this thread! I need a much more organised and streamlined / less cluttered wardrobe in terms of the selection of clothes I have. Currently pregnant with second child so by next summer, I'd like to have done a complete wardrobe overhaul! Tips on how to do it successfully would be good!

catsofa Tue 30-Dec-14 00:06:33

Me too, I'm pregnant and have packed away most of my clothes which now don't fit me and won't fit for another four months. I was absolutely astonished at how many things I had, it is totally out of hand and I need to really get a grip on keeping a functional but small range of clothes I actually wear in future.

Am currently trying to create a small maternity "capsule" wardrobe rather than buy even more stuff which will only fit me for a few months - it's amazing how little I really need!

I have long boots in black and brown. 2 pairs stretchy maternity jeggings. Loads of vest tops, loads of long sleeved tops (need to get rid of the ones I don't wear much), a few tunics and dresses to go over everything and cover my bum. Couple of long cardigans, good winter coat. That's all I've worn for months now.

Megglevache Tue 30-Dec-14 00:09:03

Zara is your friend ditto French Connection. Fab day dresses and blazers in the sale ATM. Cool patterned tights to wear with more plain items and a selection of boots.

readyforno2 Tue 30-Dec-14 00:19:55

I too really want a capsule wardrobe. Lost almost 7 stone last year, gone from squeezing into size 18 to a 10.
At the moment all I really wear is skinny jeans and tops. Very boring.

Watching for tips as well, decided this year to get my skin sorted and my wardrobe organised.

atticusclaw Tue 30-Dec-14 10:50:55

What is your budget? Difficult to pick out actual items without knowing budget.

The classic capsule wardrobe as "invented" in the 1970s is mix and match in terms of colours and aims for quality rather than quantity. The aim is to wear each item lots in a variety of different ways.

Aim for:

two pairs of jeans
two pairs of trousers
two skirts
a jumper
a cardigan
two plain tops
two camisole tops
1 little black dress
1 day dress
a dark blazer
two scarves if you wear them
two belts
flat/lower heel shoes
high heeled shoes
boots
two bags - black and brown
a decent coat.

These should be your core investments pieces so go for quality in classic tailoring.

You then play around with the combos. As long as you have gone for neutrals this should give you lots of different combinations.

badbadleroybrown Tue 30-Dec-14 11:37:22

About £1,000 ish..?

(I normally spend very little on clothes but I have a bonus coming from work)

Oh you'll be able to get masses and masses for that. Personally I'd start with:

Tube skirt in black

Midi tube skirt These are really good for work, but nice dressed down with boots or Converse and a biker or denim jacket too.

Go anywhere black dress

Blazer

Biker jacket Or this beauty

And skinnies in mid blue, indigo, pale wash blue, grey and black.

Plus knee high boots in both black (smart) and brown (casual) and heeled and flat ankle boots in both brown and black.

And a coat - probably grey.

badbadleroybrown Tue 30-Dec-14 19:58:04

Thanks Remus.

I love all those bits and I've never thought to dress down a tube skirt before but that a really good idea and I suppose with gold flat sandals in the summer.

I need to be a bit braver and buy a few things a month rather than get to this panic stage when I'm still trying to wear clothes I wore in uni!

X

Now might be a good time to buy a couple of really lovely cashmere jumpers too - personally I find black and grey the most useful, but I don't wear colour much tbh!

JemimaMuddledUp Tue 30-Dec-14 20:09:20

Marking place. I would love to be able to work a capsule wardrobe and it fits with my new year's resolution to only buy things that are good quality, suit me and go with things I already have.

RichardParkerTheTiger Tue 30-Dec-14 21:45:43

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

ethelb Tue 30-Dec-14 22:45:49

Im a similar age to you with similar body shape and needs. Have a look at project 333 [[http://theproject333.com ]] which you get to change every 3 months.

My winter/spring wardrobe will contain:

Wool jacket
Wool coat
White blouse
Blue blouse
Long sleeve top x4
Dark blazer
Jeans x2
Black trousers
Chinos
Grey skirt
Pencil skirt
Wool dress
Wrap dress
Little black dress
'Statement' dress
Smartish office dress/dress suit
Cashmere cardigan
Cotton cardigan
Plain jumper
Boots
Heeled boots
Flats
Heels

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now