Talk

Advanced search

Jeans- if not skinny then what??

(15 Posts)
Cuppatea14 Mon 29-Dec-14 22:20:45

So I keep reading that skinnies are out and no bad thing either... but I can't figure out the alternatives for winter... Love the boyfriend jeans/cropped straight legs with bare ankles for warmer months, but can't fathom what to wear for the cold months. I've just had a baby so need something that won't look awful on my wibbly belly (was size 8, not sure what I am now, maybe 10/12) and can be worn with flat boots. Thoughts?

mowglik Mon 29-Dec-14 22:51:49

you can wear boyfriends with ankle boots like this
www.reinadelamoda.nl/wp-content/uploads/2013/03/IMG_9589.jpg
schoolrunstyle.blogspot.co.uk/2013/12/the-black-ankle-boot.html
lookbook.nu/look/3090973-Zara-Black-Long-Coat-Leopard-Top-Eleven-Paris

love the third one with a big wrap coat

I have loads of skinnies but am loving boyfriend jeans so much its all I'm wearing most days with my wrap coat

rosyrose79 Mon 29-Dec-14 23:36:59

Gap Real Straight are a good alternative

Cuppatea14 Tue 30-Dec-14 08:20:50

Love the boyfriend jeans pic. What socks do you wear with them? I'm Irish and my legs really cannot see the light of day during winter (they are not so much white as a marbled purple and grey effect, can't be doing with fake tan in winter). Could you just wear longish black socks to cover gap between boot/jean?

mowglik Tue 30-Dec-14 12:01:38

I'm wearing thick socks that are covered by the ankle boots and boyfriend jeans. Theres no gap between my jeans and boots - I know there's apparently supposed to be a gap between your footwear and boyfriend jeans but I just wear them how I like and think it looks fine!

PeppermintInfusion Tue 30-Dec-14 13:08:50

I got a pair of straight legs from Dorothy Perkins - they still look skinny-ish without the tight look of skinnies. They are still quite fitted on the thigh but slightly looser knee to ankle so they look better with trainers than skinnies but still work with my winter ankle boots etc as they are not too wide at the ankle.

PhoebeMcPeePee Tue 30-Dec-14 13:27:41

Next relaxed skinny are great for a slim but not skin tight look

FrugalFashionista Tue 30-Dec-14 14:57:55

I'm totally over skinnies and that boring overstuffed sausagey look. Wearing flares, boyfriends and slim-fitting but not skintight jeand a lot. High tops work well with boyfriends (you can roll them up a bit). Flares are amazing in dry weather but more challenging to style as they require shorter and more structured tops and coats.

The up and coming jean shape seems to be a classic shape, very plain almost straight-legged (but slightly tapered) basic jeans, neither skintight nor excessively loose. Basic, generic jeans, think vintage Levis - you might already own a pair, mine are from 2007 wink

piggychops Tue 30-Dec-14 15:00:51

I like straight legs rather than skinnies. They are much more forgiving on the <ahem> larger of hip

noddyholder Tue 30-Dec-14 15:49:31

I wear boyfriends skinnies and flares I have been wearing skinnies for at least 10 years and think they don't date there are some things I have that need them. Don't like,straight on me think theynarebfrumpy New Look skinnies are great not tight

marne2 Tue 30-Dec-14 16:10:04

I still wear skinnies as I like to wear warm boots or kicker boots with them, I gave a pair of boyfriend fit but I struggle with what to wear on my feet, I gave pumps but my feet get too cold in them this time of the year.

Cuppatea14 Tue 30-Dec-14 23:37:45

Yeah it's the foot wear that kills me, it's just so easy to stick on any one of my boot options with skinnies, and I can see how my ankle boots work well with boyfriend jeans, but what do you wear on feet with straight leg jeans without resorting to freezing feet in pumps? Or what do you wear with bootlegs without looking mumsy? I'm probably over analysing this smile

OscarWinningActress Tue 30-Dec-14 23:50:25

I like skinnies with tall boots or ballet flats. Straight leg look awesome with converse if you've got small-ish feet and I still wear my bootlegs on days where I feel like wearing proper trainers. A cool and colourful pair of retro New Balance running shoes look fab with bootlegs.

WhereIsMySantaHat Wed 31-Dec-14 09:43:47

I agree it's hard to choose winter shoes with some styles. I find straight leg pretty easy, I do a couple of small
Turn ups and wear them over desert boots or with trainers/ brogues and expose my socks. I do the same with boyfriend jeans too.

I have some flares on order, I don't know what shoes I'm going to wear.

marne2 Wed 31-Dec-14 10:13:02

Love converse but my feet get too cold, I wear rocket dogs ( same style as converse ) but my feet either get wet or cold, they are fine in the spring but not in freezing temperatures. I like my warm boots too much. Not keen on boot cut jeans, the seem to 90's to me grin , I wore boot cuts for years and I don't think I can go back.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now