Talk

Advanced search

Whether you’re a beauty novice or a confirmed fashionista, this topic is for consulting Mumsnetters on all things style-related. Plus, check out our Swears By page for the inside track on the next Mumsnet must-have.

help my skin please

(15 Posts)
muddlingalongquitenicely Mon 29-Dec-14 21:23:31

Frequent lurker needing some advice on skin care please.

My skin seems shiny in places but i often get dry patches around my mouth and cheeks. I get monthly bumps along my chin line but no major break outs of spots usually.
If i get too hot too cold or have some alcohol my skin goes beetroot.

I have been looking at getting a new skin care routine and completely confused i was looking at the la roche posay range but unsure which products to get.

Please can anyone offer me some advice!

emeline Mon 29-Dec-14 21:29:48

Shiny means oil. Dry patches means dehydrated skin.

Jawline spots are hormonal.

Flushing may mean you've disrupted your skin barrier with too -harsh products.

What have you been using, how old are you?

butterfliesinmytummy Mon 29-Dec-14 21:32:49

I would stop putting products with chemicals on your skin and go natural. Find your local Neals yard consultant and ask their advice. I am an nyr consultant (but in the USA) and my skin has never been better since leaving out parabens, silicones, synthetic fragrances etc.

muddlingalongquitenicely Mon 29-Dec-14 21:42:55

Im 40 and i have been using:
Superdrug vit e hot cloth clenser but stopped as skin became really bumpy then switched too l'oreal skin perfection cleanser and toner for sensitive skin after talking to a shop aassistant. Its ok but my skin doesnt feel great after using it.
When my skin feels really dry or im going out in the cold i have been using garnier moisture match for dry to very dry skin this absorbs well or i have been using the superdrug vitamin e day cream.

muddlingalongquitenicely Mon 29-Dec-14 22:37:03

Have checked the locations for Neals Yard will try to get to one of them at the weekend thanks

RemusLupinsBiggestGroupie Mon 29-Dec-14 22:38:21

Avene - they do an anti-redness moisturiser.

annabanana19 Mon 29-Dec-14 22:49:27

I have eczema on my face and many dry patches. But no more!

I use Nivea facial wipes each evening.
Avon reversalist face was 2 to 3 times a week with an exfoliating sponge I got in Boots.
then on the dry patches I use Argan oil. Cheap from Home Bargains. And to moisturise Okay total effects twice a day.

works for me. Not a dry patch to see.

ToffeeWhirl Mon 29-Dec-14 22:57:16

My skin has improved hugely since swapping to La Roche Posay products. I was getting lots of spots, especially along the jawline. I now use Effaclar Purifying Cleansing gel, which I wipe off with a Liz Earle muslin flannel, and Effaclar Duo, which is for blemish-prone skin. I was also using their Retinol cream, but I'm not sure it made any difference, to be honest. The other products seem to have really helped, though.

muddlingalongquitenicely Tue 30-Dec-14 10:42:02

Thanks for the replies i noticed on the boots website la roche posay did a range of products for skin that suffers from redness including a cc cream. Im really behind with all the different products and what they all do!

YouThinkImUgly Tue 30-Dec-14 15:10:12

I second Avene or La Roche Posay products. There are different ranges for different skin issues like redness, dehydration etc. Sounds like they'd help you out.

Also - I recommend buying either from Escentual.com. They hold much more of the range than Boots does, plus every few months they have a big 'French Pharmacy' sale where everything from the French brands is 1/3 off. Must be due one in either Jan or Feb so keep an eye out!

Also - I have mildly oily skin prone to dehydration and for a cheap as chips recommendation I really rate Astral. Smells like old ladies but has really worked for me, helps really moisturise whilst not aggravating oilier areas.

muddlingalongquitenicely Tue 30-Dec-14 15:36:07

Thank you i have just registered with the avene website so i can have a proper browse at the products after doing their skin questionnaire

muddlingalongquitenicely Tue 30-Dec-14 15:39:55

Just had an email saying they are sending me some samples to try of the range they recommend for me. Happy days

butterfliesinmytummy Tue 30-Dec-14 23:26:41

Avene and lrp still contain various parabens and synthetic fragrances and avene uses triclosan. That's toxins can exacerbate sensitivity and they are known allergens, check out what's in your skincare at www.ewg.org

Alena2003 Wed 21-Jan-15 17:38:12

I've been using La Roche Posay for 5 years now, fav effaclar duo and lotion astringente micro-exfoliate those two are the best for spots, them two cleanse your skin but you have to apply something soothing, toleriane riche does beautiful job. I've had skin problems exactly like yours( I'm 36). Agree with previous comment, use Escentuals web, but sometimes Boots does good offers to. Good luck. Hope you have beautiful skin soon.

YourBubzYourRulzHun Wed 21-Jan-15 17:45:50

Hi muddling I bought the La Roche Posay CC Cream a few months ago but I didn't really like it. I found it a bit too thick but if you want to try it PM me your address and I'll send it on! It's just sitting in my make up drawer. I'm loathe to throw it away cos it was £20!

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: